Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tips on how to be the best (From Bootcamp to Prototype) honeypot

Author Topic: Tips on how to be the best (From Bootcamp to Prototype)  (Read 7026 times)

Offline JakeC

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
    So I just took the ASVAB the other day and Alpha-qualified for Nuke. I'm going back to MEPS in a few weeks and plan to sign for Nuke (unless 1 other rate I'm really interested in is offered). My question is simple: what can I do to make myself stand out (in a good way) starting in boot camp?

- I've heard there are awards you can earn through out boot camp, like for shooting, but what other ones are there?
- Can someone give me the breakdown of how A school and Power school differ? Other than doing well on tests, how can I stand out?

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
Re: Tips on how to be the best (From Bootcamp to Prototype)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2016, 08:56 »
It's been a while sine I was in boot camp, but you will learn to fold clothes, walk in a straight line, perform physical activities to exhaustion, and have some academic classes to teach you the Navy way.
"A" School teaches you rate to perform the task as a regular sailor, Electronics Tech , Machinist Mate, etc
Nuke School is theory based and lots of math, physics, etc.
Prototype is some theory based on the in hull systems, them qualifying watch stations.

So folding your clothes and walking in a straight line will keep you out of trouble, studying for and doing well on the academics is a way to be noticed. The physical part will come your way no matter what.

The rest is how well you can learn what they are putting out in school.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2016, 11:08 »
Don't forget to get along with your fellow students and instructors. You can ace every test, but you also have to pass oral boards. You act smug or uppity, you'll piss people off and they can make your llife miserable.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2016, 12:56 »
Be prepared to adapt. The Navy is not what you may consider real life at least not for Millenials. The Navy knows this and seems to be trying to adapt but the primary adaptation will be you. Here is an article that may give you some insight especially if you end up on a sub.

What Nuclear Submarines Teach us About Leading Millennials

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-nuclear-submarines-teach-us-leading-millennials-matt-digeronimo

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2016, 11:27 »
Be prepared to adapt. The Navy is not what you may consider real life at least not for Millenials. The Navy knows this and seems to be trying to adapt but the primary adaptation will be you. Here is an article that may give you some insight especially if you end up on a sub.

What Nuclear Submarines Teach us About Leading Millennials

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-nuclear-submarines-teach-us-leading-millennials-matt-digeronimo

That article pretty much describes what it was like 45 years ago when I was on submarines as a baby boomer.  Looks like principles of leadership haven't really changed - as I've discovered as a supervisor, as a trained leader of small boys (Scout Master) and as a Little League coach.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2016, 12:12 »
That article pretty much describes what it was like 45 years ago when I was on submarines as a baby boomer.  Looks like principles of leadership haven't really changed - as I've discovered as a supervisor, as a trained leader of small boys (Scout Master) and as a Little League coach.

I am from the same generation and agree to a point, entering the military is a bit of a shock to the system in any generation, but it is a bit more today. Calculators were cutting age then now smart phones provide instant access to friends and information not to mention the establishment of "safe zones" in our educational system. I read an article not long ago about modification of SUBSCREEN because of the difference in millenial personal interaction.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2016, 12:24 »
   I am from the same generation and agree to a point, entering the military is a bit of a shock to the system in any generation, but it is a bit more today. Calculators were cutting age then now smart phones provide instant access to friends and information not to mention the establishment of "safe zones" in our educational system. I read an article not long ago about modification of SUBSCREEN because of the difference in millenial personal interaction.

Found it.

Navy To Revise Psychological Screening For Potential Submariners

http://www.ct.gov/oma/cwp/view.asp?a=3422&q=579750

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2016, 10:57 »
Sailor Success 101 - Show up on time, do what you're told.

This will get you to the level of "Promotable".  Being a self-starter, being pro-active in quals, duties, etc, the basic ideas that lead to success in the civilian sector can and do lead to success in the military.

The Navy will give you every opportunity to accomplish as much, or as little, as you motivate yourself to accomplish.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve! 

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2016, 07:54 »
Sailor Success 101 - Show up on time, do what you're told.

This will get you to the level of "Promotable".  Being a self-starter, being pro-active in quals, duties, etc, the basic ideas that lead to success in the civilian sector can and do lead to success in the military.

The Navy will give you every opportunity to accomplish as much, or as little, as you motivate yourself to accomplish.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve! 
This can actually get you MPs, depending on the size of your division, and you can get all the way to E6, although it might take a little longer if you don't go a little above and beyond. In addition, if you're not sure, ask for help.

Offline JROB

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2016, 09:03 »
In my opinion (just got out earlier this year):

Boot camp: Become invisible. Don't draw attention to yourself. Follow instructions and act like you have completely embraced the Navy culture. I cannot think of anything worthwhile that you can get awarded in boot camp that will carry over into your nuclear career.

'A' school: Show up on time, never break any rules, and don't let yourself get so stressed out that you end up throwing in the towel and getting re-rated to something like parachute rigger (this happened to quite a few people I knew). A school isn't about how smart you are, it's about how you can regurgitate everything exactly how they want you to. You can volunteer for class positions to get a good evaluation (class leader, assistant class leader, etc.). This will help you make E-5 early.

Power school: Same things, but now with theory, and slightly more lax. Volunteer again to get a good eval. Oh, and never underage drink or let anyone else do it around you. This will get you kicked out faster than just about anything, besides cheating.

Prototype: Previously, you were able to sit in a chair, take tests, and be successful. Now you will have to interact with people in order to do well. To be successful, you should know the material, but you should also try and get your stuff signed off as quickly as you can. Typically, the first two or three people to qualify in your class will get good evals, and will get looked at for special duties, and staying at prototype for an extra three years. If you plan on staying in becoming a staff pick-up and staying at prototype will be the quickest way to make E-6 by the time you get to the ship, and being first in-line for Watch Supervisor quals and making Chief (E-7).

Ship: Similar to prototype, but you will have way more responsibility. Be the go-to-guy and volunteer to do every single task. If you work really hard your first couple years, you can get in good with your chain of command and get awards, promotions, and more management type jobs. If you are making it a career, I would strongly recommend looking into going officer. There are some really good programs to get into and you will basically make double what you would as enlisted. If you want to stay nuclear, do this at a training command. If you want to do something else, do it while you're on the ship.

There's so much more information that I could give you, but honestly you will just have to figure it out yourself. Don't listen to the people with bad attitudes who are just waiting for their contract to end. If you want to be successful, align yourself with people who have similar goals. Good luck.

Offline cgr656

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2016, 10:16 »
So I'm about halfway through prototype and I'm an ET (electronics technician). First off let me tell you that trying to be the best in boot camp for a nuke is useless. The best thing they could give you is e-3, oh wait, you signed as an E-3! So as a previous commenter said, be invisible and just make it through. A-School is about academics yes, do your best. But what they are really teaching you is integrity and the other watchstanding principals. Everyone takes the whole integrity thing as a joke at the beginning until they get KICKED OUT! NEVER EVER LIE FOR ANY REASON! Just about anything you get in trouble for won't end your career if you don't lie about it. I had some friends who stayed off base overnight during the first few weeks (against the rules) and then they told me the next day! I asked if they were joking (hoping they were) and they said no and thought it was no big deal. So as I was told to do I informed the chain of command and had to be a witness at their captains mast. Now they are out of the program. The crazy thing is that nothing would have happened to them if they hadn't lied when asked about it, the captain even told them that. So if you want to be the best start with having unwavering integrity.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?