Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu System One Holdings honeypot

Author Topic: System One Holdings  (Read 5824 times)

Offline RubyMarie

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
System One Holdings
« on: Oct 10, 2016, 10:14 »
Hi - I didn't see any info regarding System One, having issue with this company on assignment at Pepco Holdings (now part of Exelon).  Is it okay to post this here?

System One is breaching contracts for about 25-50 contractors (most are employees of System One).  They are taking away our per diem, dramatically cutting our hourly rate, and will no longer pay time and a half for OT (just straight time).  I heard they did something similar at PPL ... and ended up losing that contract after a while.

I have never been with a company that tried to breach my contract, has anyone been through something like this before?  Anyone here that was at PPL when this happened?  Do we have any legal options against System One?  Thanks.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: System One Holdings
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2016, 10:26 »
Hi - I didn't see any info regarding System One, having issue with this company on assignment at Pepco Holdings (now part of Exelon).  Is it okay to post this here?

System One is breaching contracts for about 25-50 contractors (most are employees of System One).  They are taking away our per diem, dramatically cutting our hourly rate, and will no longer pay time and a half for OT (just straight time).  I heard they did something similar at PPL ... and ended up losing that contract after a while.

I have never been with a company that tried to breach my contract, has anyone been through something like this before?  Anyone here that was at PPL when this happened?  Do we have any legal options against System One?  Thanks.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been at that location?

Offline RubyMarie

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2016, 10:35 »
Hi - personally been there since February 2016, 1 year contract.  Others have been there longer, a few came after me. 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2016, 07:14 »
Are you aware than a company is not permitted by federal law to pay per diem longer than 1 year? (Specifically, for you to not pay tax on it, it has to be an 'accountable' program.  Of that, one of the many rules is that it can not exceed a year) The rules are found in the Code of Federal Regulations: 26 CFR 1.62-2 - Reimbursements and other expense allowance arrangements.

With that out of the way, I read that you have been there less than a year, about 8 months. -- I just wanted to get that out there.

I personally have worked for System one only once, and only for a short outage.  I had no issues during that short outage.

You mention a 'contract'.  With the current 'right to work' laws, most 'contracts' are worthless.  None the less, if you actually have something in print, I suggest you reread it.  If there are no words in it that state "at will" or other such outs, then hire a lawyer, and seek reimbursement.  You may also think that you have a 'contract', but you just have a statement delineating expected results. -- Contract law is very detailed with minutia.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2016, 07:32 by Rennhack »

Offline RubyMarie

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2016, 07:40 »
I don't quite understand your first sentence - "Are you aware than a company is not permitted by federal law to pay per diem longer than 1 year?"

I didn't find that in the link you provided.  Where does it specifically state a private employer is prohibited by law from paying a per diem for longer than one year?

I've always known per diem is taxable for assignments over 1 year.

Offline RubyMarie

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2016, 08:00 »
And I do have a 'contract' by all legal definitions of the word, which was signed by both parties and details my pay rate, per diem, length of time, etc.  I know 'at will' employment means I can be terminated at any time for any reason or no reason (as long as it is not term for something that is protected by law). 'At will' does not mean my employer can change the terms of my contract without both parties consent.  This is a breach of contract.

I have reached out for legal advice and I was posting here to see if anyone else had been through the same.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2016, 07:48 »
We appreciate you sharing here.  I believe you have a very solid case.

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2016, 08:29 »
Just curious, what are your losses? $10,000?, more?

Do you have assets to hire a lawyer? They will want money up front by the hour plus you'll pay expenses.

And while developing and fighting the case, who will hire you?

While the case may have merit, you may not do that well in the long run. If you can, go elsewhere.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2016, 09:48 »
If you have a legitimate grievance, contact the state labor department. If they believe that there is a violation, they'll have you file a complaint and they will investigate.

Offline RubyMarie

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2016, 08:43 »
Thank you for the replies.  Bsdnuke - my personal losses are over $15K, not including the firm job I declined to accept the System One offer and the multiple jobs I passed on while I was employed by them.  And it's not just me that was affected but 30+ of my co-workers.  And I've been told by other people this is something System One has done at at least two other locations. 

One of my co-workers contacted an attorney who would not pursue based on either the inability to sue for 'pain and suffering' in breach of employment contract law or the 'at will' employment status, which means a company can basically say 'you're done' today but 'would you like your old job back at a substantial cut in pay' tomorrow? 

Scotoma - I don't see there is any recourse, I've contacted three states Attorney Generals with no response.  No one cares.  I just hope the word gets out about System One and crappy employment contracts in general.  My co-workers are scared and laying low until they find something else.  There are others in worse situations than mine and who wants to be out of work at year end or around the holidays? 

Offline RubyMarie

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2016, 08:46 »
Oh, and if anyone cares System One is bringing in some Canadian workers to take these jobs from us ... I've got nothing against Canada but there you go, that's the kind of company System One is.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?