Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out after prototype with 3 years in, any advice?
honeypot

Author Topic: Getting out after prototype with 3 years in, any advice?  (Read 5710 times)

Offline MarkBond

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
So long story short I joined the navy at 18, I broke my leg after powerschool, and 8months later was made fit for full duty and sent to prototype. I graduated prototype as an electrician but failed the next 2 PRTs and now I'm being sent out before going to the fleet. I know I don't have any fleet experience or anything like that and I didn't see any other posts that helped my situation but basically my question is can I still get a decent job without fleet experience and if so where should I start looking? Any help or information to at least help point me in any direction will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Re: Getting out after prototype with 3 years in, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2016, 04:11 »
IBEW

Offline MarkBond

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2016, 08:25 »
I'll definitely look into that, thanks. Does what I've learned over the past 3 years about being an electrician apply to the civilian world at all or is there some classes or anything I need to take? I don't have any type of degree, just the nuke pipeline

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2016, 10:01 »
Why wouldn't you go to school?

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:16 »
Sounds like you were in long enough to qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Advice?  Go to college, get your degree.

This will most likely be a repeating theme.

Best of luck!

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:23 »
You can check with almost any kind of utility company (gas, hydro, transmission). You don't mention where you live but electric utilities are everywhere.
Indeed.com is a master search engine for jobs. I entered "Electric Utility" and it came back with over 63,000 hits. You would need to refine your search. Here is the link  http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=electric+utility&l=
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 08:24 by ipregen »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2016, 10:22 »
I'll definitely look into that, thanks. Does what I've learned over the past 3 years about being an electrician apply to the civilian world at all or is there some classes or anything I need to take? I don't have any type of degree, just the nuke pipeline

You basically have two options. Go to school or go to work. If you have some reason for not going to college, be it financial or personal, joining the electrical union (IBEW) is an option. What you have learned over the past 3 years may help to some degree. Typically you would take a competency exam for evaluation. They will place you in the apprenticeship program. They will teach you the trade. Typically you will go to class one day every two weeks or some schedule similar to that. While working as an apprentice, you are restricted a little as who you work for and where. Your pretty much just go wherever the hall sends you. At the end of your 5 year apprenticeship you will be "turned out" as a journeyman with formal schooling in the trade as well as on the job experience. If you want to be an electrician, this is the route I would recommend. You won't be limited to one industry. You could work residential, commercial, industrial, power, etc.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2016, 05:58 »
I would be sending out resumes and trying to make contacts, but while doing that investigate school options.  Great time to use your GI Bill.  If you can interview well or know somebody, that can be a huge difference maker when landing a job. If you go to school, try to take chemistry as soon as possible and other classes with labs.  If you get a job while going to school it will be easier to complete your degree later if you have classes with labs done.

Offline mpanz3

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:17 »
That you Bond? Remember a guy named Panczyk at all? Small world this is. Shame we won't see you in the fleet. Go to school and live it up, you're not missing much.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?