Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Non shiftwork jobs

Author Topic: Non shiftwork jobs  (Read 5674 times)

Offline benmctee

• Lurker
Non shiftwork jobs
« on: Oct 19, 2016, 05:02 »
Thanks for reading my post. I'll be getting out on hardship discharge within the next 6 months after being in for 12 years. I have recently started looking and applying for jobs on various energy websites. Because I will be taking care of my son, I need to land something that is a normal day job instead of rotating shift work. My friend who works at STP told me to look for a systems engineer position, but I haven't had much luck thus far finding one nor if I would be qualified. I have found a trainer position - and have applied - but the job posting does not specify hours.

What fields in the nuclear community should I be looking for in order to be able to take my son to school and pick him up at the end of the day? Nuclear is all I've known, but in your opinion should I be looking at other industries instead?

If it helps, I'm qualified EWS (8 years) and have a BSNET degree. I would like to land a job at STP or Comanche Peak, but neighboring regions (ie Entergy in Arkansas) wouldn't be too bad either.

Thanks again!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Non shiftwork jobs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 05:46 »
I'd think you would be hard pressed to find anything that would allow you to drop off and pick up your son from school. Your day will either start before or end after his school day does. Also, it seems like kids are out of school more then they are in it, especially after you get to November.

Typically, Operations and Security are the only departments that would require you to work a constant rotating schedule. Most other departments will have you working a standard day-shift schedule whether it is 4-10's, 5-8's or some other variation. I'm sure you understand that there will be periods of OT including night shift involved in that as well. Maintenance, Training, Planning, QA, QC, etc. typically all work the standard 40 hour week, day shift.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2016, 06:34 »
I think research reactors, and possibly accelerators may be more forgiving when it comes to this type of thing, but you probably won't be able to make as much money, especially the research reactors at colleges.  I've never worked at one but talked to people who have.  It would be worth looking into at least.  You could also try DOE sites; the one I worked at had some rotating shifts but it seemed there were way more opportunities for dayshift positions than a commercial operating reactor.  You could also look into working at GE and other nuclear support companies where your nuclear experience could help land you a job.  I'm thinking about all the people I know who are navy nukes and where they all work so these are all real possibilities for you, but some of them have degrees so you might not qualify for some of these jobs as easily without a degree.  Hit google and get creative and I bet you can come up with more possibilities.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:14 »
I think research reactors, and possibly accelerators may be more forgiving when it comes to this type of thing, but you probably won't be able to make as much money, especially the research reactors at colleges.  I've never worked at one but talked to people who have.

If it helps, I'm qualified EWS (8 years) and have a BSNET degree. I would like to land a job at STP or Comanche Peak, but neighboring regions (ie Entergy in Arkansas) wouldn't be too bad either.

The DOE labs are degree happy and frequently ask for accredited degrees which the BSNET may not fulfill. They are a good place to work and are fairly stable for work if you are hired by the prime contractor.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:26 »
Instructors typically work 7-3ish, Monday-Friday, depending on what they teach. At my plant, LOR (Licensed Operator Requal) normally works those hours, Initial License class works their simulator time around that. Maintenance and Tech typically have those hours as well. There are times where we need to come in early, or adjust our schedules (typically if the NRC is coming), and occasional weekends.

Druid

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2016, 03:54 »
Take with a grain of salt considering I know very little about your situation other than you have kids. You got lots of universities there in north Texas. I'd look for a job with one of those institutions. When I worked at FSU their education department ran a school on campus and children of employees were higher on the waiting list. I wouldn't limit yourself to just nuclear jobs.

Best,
D

Offline oldtimer

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2017, 08:11 »
Most departments at Nuclear Power Plants have 3 shifts, days, peaks and mids.  Ops are usually the only ones that rotate.  Class 65-1, Retired FP&L

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?