Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out in 2 years. What should I be doing? honeypot

Author Topic: Getting out in 2 years. What should I be doing?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Jiro

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Getting out in 2 years. What should I be doing?
« on: Nov 23, 2016, 02:05 »
Hello and sorry to sound like a broken record but I'm getting out in the next 2 years and change.

Now most people here would probably say OH I want to work in a Power Plant/Conventional/blah blah

Myself I will be probably pursuing an acting career/comedian as that is my dream job.

But let me preface all this with where I am at and where I am in life. Currently I am stationed in JBPHH as a QA instructor at code 139 (yeah weird for a EM) And enjoy what I do there teaching and instructing civilians in QA work. The job they gave me is a one of a kind made up job that I happened to fall into. It's pretty open and I make my own schedule which was damn refreshing after serving on a sub. Anyway I own a condo out here that I got for a steal (in Hawaii prices 280K in Salt Lake is a steal FML) And already have a lot of equity that has formed from my owning it in just the past 6 months and will be selling it upon my EAOS for probably (god willing) a 50-80K profit. I'm also single and will not be married upon my exit and currently I've invested 56K in Mutual and managed account funds in prep for my separation.

Now having that in my pocket is nice but I wanted to hear some suggestions from where I am at. Luckily I was able to squeeze myself into gaining the 9502 NEC for instructor from Ford Island this coming January. Unfortunately I never qualified EWS due to my destain for the program in of itself. Don't get me wrong I love what the Nuke and Navy programs have given me.....but it's just not my cup of tea and I served 5 years of it to get my fill.

Current options for me are to rotate into school for my acting career in New York/ Commiefornia/Maybe My home state of Alabama or perhaps take a job at another one of my dream jobs in the firearm industry at Kel-Tec in Cocoa, Florida if I so choose. I also am looking into the reserves as an option. Currently I've been told if I do reserves I can sign up for it prior to separation and would be undeployable for 2 years after I get out due to my active time and from there I could decide if I want to do 20 in the reserves.

I still have the Montgomery G.I.(haven't switched yet) and will probably separate with about 150K-200K in my pocket with my home in Alabama paid for and able to be moved into immediately.

I must preface this with that I'm not looking to get into Nuclear work when I get out and have no interest in going up that totem pole again....and I am damn sure I do not want to go back to submarines. Been there done that....don't like the smell of recycled farts.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Getting out in 2 years. What should I be doing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:35 »
wow, what to type?!?!?

okay, thank you for your service, sincere thanks,...

this is nukeworker.com not thespian.com (is there a thespian.com?),...

so, this site is out there (partly) to support nukeworkers (there is actually a mission statement somewhere around here but it's too early on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving for me to ferret it out),...

I would not expect a lot of thespian support or know how, although I do know one nukeworker personally with some dedicated amateur thespian chops (who still does nukework as she is not able to pay for her lifestyle with the proceeds from her limelight ambitions),....

there are also a couple, maybe a few,  posters on these boards who have referred to past forays into thespian ardours here on these boards, and yet still, those posters pay the bills through nukework,...

so, if you wish to maintain your current financial independence as a nukeworker doing nukework these boards may be a useful place to gain perspective and counsel,...

if you wish to maintain your current financial independence as a thespian doing performing arts, this ain't the place Jethro,...

Enjoy the Day!!!!,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2016, 08:19 »
Sounds like a sea story

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:12 »
Cartwheels!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:20 »
I tried comedy for a while. It was fun but needed my nuke job to support me.

Offline Jiro

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2016, 02:29 »
wow, what to type?!?!?

okay, thank you for your service, sincere thanks,...

this is nukeworker.com not thespian.com (is there a thespian.com?),...

so, this site is out there (partly) to support nukeworkers (there is actually a mission statement somewhere around here but it's too early on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving for me to ferret it out),...

I would not expect a lot of thespian support or know how, although I do know one nukeworker personally with some dedicated amateur thespian chops (who still does nukework as she is not able to pay for her lifestyle with the proceeds from her limelight ambitions),....

Ha ha thanks for the reply. I guess I should have stated while I am not interested in nuclear work....that doesn’t mean I won’t do it. If for instance I don’t become the next Johnny Depp with my lovely love handles of sexyness I would have to divert back to my nuclear roots.

Question is how is that process? Like for instance if I go off and try to do my acting career for 2 years or even 4 years going to school and I decide that’s not for me....would it be a rock through a pinwheel for me to rotate into the civilian side if I’ve been out of the loop that long?

I guess I should mention I’m not opposed to the idea of doing nuclear type work while going to school or even pursuing the acting career. I’m curious as to as you stated if anyone else may have forayed into that dual lifestyle.

Right now I’m possibly going to jump on a second job while I’m active duty teaching at a Community College for basic electrical and mechanical theory since I was offered a part time job.

so, if you wish to maintain your current financial independence as a nukeworker doing nukework these boards may be a useful place to gain perspective and counsel,...

if you wish to maintain your current financial independence as a thespian doing performing arts, this ain't the place Jethro,...

I am always open to options. I didn’t become a nuclear operator with a stick up my ass...but the marbles were a bit hard to walk around with them in there.

Enjoy the Day!!!!

To you as well! Thank you for your answer.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2016, 02:33 by Jiro »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2016, 02:40 »

Question is how is that process? Like for instance if I go off and try to do my acting career for 2 years or even 4 years going to school and I decide that’s not for me....would it be a rock through a pinwheel for me to rotate into the civilian side if I’ve been out of the loop that long?

go to this page:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html

select the thread title(s) most relevant to your situation,...

and start reading,....

your questions have been answered before,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:20 »
Your first movie could be - The Destainer. And with any luck the critics will not view your role with disdain.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2016, 07:23 by fiveeleven »

Offline Jiro

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:04 »
Your first movie could be - The Destainer. And with any luck the critics will not view your role with disdain.

Haha. Probably true....but you sound a bit upset I didn't persue EWS and my opinion of it. I assure you I had every opportunity to do so but I chose not to out of preference and my own priorities with College and NCPACE since I knew I was getting out and didn't feel submarines were for me after that stint after the culture I witnessed.

Samabby

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2016, 08:45 »
My 2 cents- you have done most of your obligated time- thanks for that- you have no spouse or kids-you have a nice nest egg- go for the dream as a stand up in LALA Land.

Good luck, son.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2016, 04:33 »
You have a teaching background and it seems as though you enjoy it. The nuclear industry has openings for instructors, permanent and temporary. It may even give you the opportunity to try your comedy routine on a captive audience. I know a guy who has taught all over the world. When he gets tired of a place, or gets laid off, he moves on. 
The civilian side of nuclear is a lot different than the navy side. You might want to give it a try before you write it off. There is a qualification process before they will let you work in the plant. It involves some classroom learning, written tests and prac facs. If you leave the industry, you'll forget a lot (not a bad thing), so if you do want to come back, it could be difficult.
There is an employer section on this website. Call and ask some questions. You have 2 years to go and a lot can change. You have the luxury to explore your options. Good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?