Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Which location
honeypot

Author Topic: Which location  (Read 10059 times)

Offline graniteman

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Which location
« on: Dec 04, 2016, 02:45 »
Need recommendations for nuke jobs in favorable areas that are better for raising a family, good public schools, etc...if there is such a place!!??

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Which location
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 03:59 »
Need recommendations for nuke jobs in favorable areas that are better for raising a family, good public schools, etc...if there is such a place!!??

the list of which ones that are not better for raising a family is much shorter,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:28 »
Where are McGuire and Oconee?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 09:41 by Marlin »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:57 »
eye wood recommend beaver valley nps. less than an our from pittsburgh n in a semi rural area well suited two family life.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:29 »
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant on the polls link. Nobody likes them or dislikes them because they are not there.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:23 »
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant on the polls link. Nobody likes them or dislikes them because they are not there.

Seems they do not have a poll attached to the thread.

Mike ???

I am adding polls are they automatically added to lists?
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 12:33 by Marlin »

Offline graniteman

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:25 »
Thanks.  Retired Navy Nuke summer 2017.  Trying to decide on a region to apply and settle.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:42 »
Thanks.  Retired Navy Nuke summer 2017.  Trying to decide on a region to apply and settle.

check your PMs,...

and, thank you for your service,... [salute]
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 12:43 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:57 »
Take a look at Fermi.  I enjoyed my time there and Monroe MI is a nice little city.
LM

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:16 »
I don't know what the area is like, but I think Columbia in eastern WA is hiring for an SRO class around then, need to be on site in July.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:02 »
Seems they do not have a poll attached to the thread.
I am adding polls are they automatically added to lists?

I don't believe its automatic.  (It's a painful, poorly coded, backdoor hack I made)

They WERE all there at one time, but over the year, posts got moved, and merged, and some were lost.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:08 »
There is no easy answer. You didn't say where you from, where your wife is from, where you were stationed, or what you consider is normal or acceptable. It all depends on your values. Make a list of what you consider positive (good schools, close to parents, good pay, benefits, etc), and what you consider negative (bad traffic, high crime, weird natives, etc), and the decide what you are willing to live with. There is always the chance that an older plant will shut down before you reach retirement age and you will be left in limbo. There are newer plants being built in S Carollina, Georgia, and Tennessee. You are probably young enough that you can take a mulligan if you find that you don't like the first choice. Most employers are getting away from retirement plans anyway and increasing the 401K benefits that are vested immediately. This means that there is less incentive to stay put. Keep posting and email someone if they have posted something that sounds interesting.

Offline graniteman

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:58 »
From upstate NY (wife - PA/MD).  Age 40 this spring.  More of outdoorsy family man type.  Started out Enlisted then ventured to the dark side by STA-21.  The northeast is where family is at.  Spent a lot of time in CT and way too much time in the south.  Prefer seasons and snow...the outdoors in general.  Loved Bangor WA for that reason.  Kids are pre-k so there is time to do a few more moves if it comes to that.  Tough, no perfect place...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:41 »
yins "Prefer seasons and snow...the outdoors in general." aye am still inn the beaver venue fore yew, especially if football is a sport four the family, rich heritage hear.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:29 »
Take a look at the NRC website for the locations of plants. If you want to be near family, there are a few plants in eastern PA, NJ, and MD, although it's an unregulated area, so money is tight. I'm also not 100% sure when they are hiring for license classes (biggest disadvantage when getting out of the navy). Some of the plants are looking for instructors as well. The pay is less, but the hours are better.

Offline graniteman

• Very Lite User
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:04 »
Take a look at the NRC website for the locations of plants. If you want to be near family, there are a few plants in eastern PA, NJ, and MD, although it's an unregulated area, so money is tight. I'm also not 100% sure when they are hiring for license classes (biggest disadvantage when getting out of the navy). Some of the plants are looking for instructors as well. The pay is less, but the hours are better.

Great info, thank you!  I can't do NJ, haha!  Obviously, I will go where there is satisfying work...what areas/plants are known to be good for a nub trying to get established?  Looking for a more permanent situation but understand that a few more big moves might be ahead of us.  Trying to avoid a military lifestyle pulling the kids in and out of schools.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 07:11 by graniteman »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:36 »
From upstate NY (wife - PA/MD).  Age 40 this spring.  More of outdoorsy family man type.  Started out Enlisted then ventured to the dark side by STA-21.  The northeast is where family is at.  Spent a lot of time in CT and way too much time in the south.  Prefer seasons and snow...the outdoors in general.  Loved Bangor WA for that reason.  Kids are pre-k so there is time to do a few more moves if it comes to that.  Tough, no perfect place...

Many of the plants are rural. Wolf Creek, Cooper, Callaway, Duane Arnold, and ANO to name a few. They all have seasons, more or less. Some have longer winters than others. All have numerous outdoors type activities surrounding them; camping, fishing, hunting, etc. You may want to do some research on the site's specific messaging boards on here to get a feel for what the plant work atmosphere is like. I know you said that you had enough of the South, but there are also some beautiful areas around some of those as well. Particularly, anywhere in the Tennessee Valley, IMHO.

Side note: Spell Check doesn't recognize "Callaway"?

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:37 »
It's too bad that you don't like the south. That seems to be where the future of Nuclear is. Some older plants in nice locations - North Anna on a beautiful lake, Calvert Cliffs on Chesapeake Bay, several plants in eastern PA. There is Oak Ridge and some plants in Tennessee, while that is south, it is a little different than Navy south. If you liked Washington, there's Columbia or the Hanford reservation - however it is a bit different than Bangor. The bigger utilities have something they call shared resources. They loan employees to other plants that they own during outages. It gives the opportunity to temporarily work at other places without having to uproot and move.

Offline graniteman

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:42 »
It's too bad that you don't like the south. That seems to be where the future of Nuclear is. Some older plants in nice locations - North Anna on a beautiful lake, Calvert Cliffs on Chesapeake Bay, several plants in eastern PA. There is Oak Ridge and some plants in Tennessee, while that is south, it is a little different than Navy south. If you liked Washington, there's Columbia or the Hanford reservation - however it is a bit different than Bangor. The bigger utilities have something they call shared resources. They loan employees to other plants that they own during outages. It gives the opportunity to temporarily work at other places without having to uproot and move.

Love living out west but I can see what you mean about the future of nuclear power being east of the Rockies...there's not much going on out west...and there is a difference between mid-south and deep south for sure!  The schools out west seem (not all areas but most) to be almost a year behind compared to east coast schools (and probably midwest schools too).  There are always pockets of good schools anywhere you go but the schools in WA are far behind VA schools.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 02:02 by graniteman »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:43 »
beaver came out of shippingport, witch came out of bettis, out of usn.
got a river out front four rafting two the gulf in the summers.
watt position are yew seeking?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:20 »
I think Susquehanna is going to be hiring for a license class soon. I believe the class will start in January 2018, so be onsite June/July. It's about an hour south of Scranton.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?