Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Submarine Service Selection honeypot

Author Topic: Submarine Service Selection  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Silver

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Submarine Service Selection
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:35 »

I apologize if I put this post in the wrong place, this is my first post on this forum.

I am currently a midshipmen in NROTC and aspire to become a submarine officer. I felt that my chances of being service selected for submarines were on the right track due to my grades in technical courses and aptitude scores on FITREPS, until I had a hiccup in one course (Physics II) due to performing terribly on one test that really dropped my grade. The average grade in the course was between a D+ and C- so I still finished around average, but that's beside the point and doesn't matter anyway.

If anyone has any experience with what they are specifically looking for in submarine officer "packages", please review my credentials below and let me know where I stand. Mainly, I want to know if it would make a difference if I scheduled to take Physics II again my senior year, which is the only possible time where I can retake it due to other major requirements (Nuke packages are due Junior year I believe so I don't think this would be much help). The advice I have been given so far is that anything below a C in calculus or physics essentially disqualifies you from nuke, but that's just based on assumption. Would my other grades being in the A range get my package a chance to be looked at? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Major: Mechanical Engineering, Sophomore (3 semesters completed)
Cumulative GPA: 3.45

Math/Physics/Engineering classes I have taken so far:
Calculus I: A-
Calculus II: A
Calculus III: B
Physics I: A-
Physics II: D+
Eng. Statics: B+
Materials Eng.: A
Intro MechE class: A-

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Submarine Service Selection
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:42 »
Why don't you ask your nuclear LT?  My experience is that a D would be disqualifying.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:53 »
I'm sure if you do talk to a recruiter LT about it (like Sean Connery says), and explain the circumstance of that course (class average and no grade inflation/curve), you will be fine. Ouuhhh, but why did it have to be Physics II. I'd presume EM (electromagnetism) is super pertinent to at least 2 of the 3/4 rates of nukes.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:57 »
I'm sure if you do talk to a recruiter LT about it (like Sean Connery says), and explain the circumstance of that course (class average and no grade inflation/curve), you will be fine. Ouuhhh, but why did it have to be Physics II. I'd presume EM (electromagnetism) is super pertinent to at least 2 of the 3/4 rates of nukes.

Gamecock is a retired submarine officer and I would take his opinion to the bank.

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:06 »
No disrespect to Gamecock. It's just that the recruiters I talked to didn't seem to ask about the individual grades of mine. Also, he already has another Physics  (Physics I (calc based)) course under his belt, so if they aren't happy about the other course's grade, I'm sure that they will take this into account.

Variety of opinions

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:24 »
I'm serving with an officer who got a C- in either calc II or physics II, but crushed his subsequent technical courses with straight As. If you are a non-technical major with that grade, though, you're done.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?