Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Do I qualify? I think I do but...  

Author Topic: Do I qualify? I think I do but...  (Read 3466 times)

Offline seankitten

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Do I qualify? I think I do but...
« on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:56 »
Hello,

Just curious if I can qualify as an Equipment Operator. I have a BS: Mathematics, with minor in writing, I finished A-School and Power-School for the Navy nuclear power program but since I had several deaths in the family back to back during prototype (and I was barely 18 and didn't know how to deal with loss) ended up dropping out of prototype though I was top 25%, was systems complete and had just the 100% exam and oral exam left.

Since I didn't finish prototype, do I not qualify as an entry level Equipment Operator, or should I look at getting additional education?

(note I have an MA in education but sadly teaching doesn't pay enough to keep my family off food stamps)

Thanks in advance!

~Sean
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2017, 08:58 by seankitten »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Do I qualify? I think I do but...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:25 »
Anyone qualifies to be an equipment operator, as long as you look at what each utility is looking for.  Usually you have to take a special test that is kind of like basic mechanical aptitude during or before the interview(s).  Each utility has it's own set of criteria when hiring an NLO/AO.  There is nothing specific.  And the utility can bend their own riles if they need to hire people, depending on the utility (like union procedures might hamper this).  With a bit of navy nuke experience and that Math degree you might score an interview.  Depends on how bad they need NLOs.  To be an NLO you go thru a training program given by the utility that qualifies you to start qualifying each watch-station an NLO will stand.  You qualify for that by the utility hiring you.  3-4 months of training after getting hired, then you go on shift to start the qual process.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?