Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trump May Have Saved This US Industry Before Even Taking Office

Author Topic: Trump May Have Saved This US Industry Before Even Taking Office  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Clickbait story- the heck with Yucca, the people of Nevada and their bait & switch politicians.  Reid might be gone, but Nevada will pull the same garbage if we waste more tax dollars trying to revive that hole in the ground.  The only thing Yucca is good for is one last underground test to permanently seal off that nightmare. Energy Secretary Rick Perry and the west Texas facility are a lot closer to finding a home for long-term reactor waste storage and the under-educated author is clueless on this fact/option.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Clickbait story- the heck with Yucca, the people of Nevada and their bait & switch politicians.  Reid might be gone, but Nevada will pull the same garbage if we waste more tax dollars trying to revive that hole in the ground.  The only thing Yucca is good for is one last underground test to permanently seal off that nightmare. Energy Secretary Rick Perry and the west Texas facility are a lot closer to finding a home for long-term reactor waste storage and the under-educated author is clueless on this fact/option.

It is a bit general but it is not the only article I have seen expressing the same view. If you do a search on the subject there are a number articles that tend to say the same thing to one degree or another.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 12:45 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
and the under-educated author is clueless on this fact/option.

Not so much:

Energy, Environmental and Science Reporter
The Daily Caller
September 2015 – Present (1 year 5 months)Washington D.C. Metro Area
I report on energy, science, space and environmental issues, see my latest here.

http://dailycaller.com/author/andrew-follett/

I have been featured by RealClearEnergy, RealClearDefense, RealClearScience, the Drudge Report, Politico, the Instapundit, the Daily Signal, and The Rush Limbaugh Show.

http://www.realclearenergy.org/authors/andrew_follett/

http://www.realcleardefense.com/authors/andrew_follett/

http://www.realclearscience.com/authors/andrew_follett/

http://dailysignal.com/author/andrew-follett/

Analyst
INTEK Inc
June 2015 – September 2015 (4 months)Arlington, Virginia
• Provided analytical and research support to economic, logistic, policy, and technology analyses of energy supply and market.
• Assisted with modeling efforts for the oil and gas industry as well as governmental organizations.
• Offered support to both private sector clients and government agencies with conventional and unconventional oil and gas exploration, production, refining, transportation, and markets.
• Performed economic, logistical, policy, and technological analyses of emergency response, energy systems, energy technology, and disaster preparedness plans/contingencies for various hazards, most notably hurricanes and earthquakes.
Policy Research

U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
February 2015 – June 2015 (5 months)Thomas P. O'Neill Jr. Federal Building, 200 C St SW, Washington, DC 20024
• Conducted policy research for the Subcommittee on Space (e.g., an analytic comparison of the accident investigation procedures of NASA, the FAA, and private aerospace contractors)
• Assisted Subcommittee on Space members during hearings
• Assisted in the drafting of legislation
• Wrote policy briefs analyzing issues
• Helped draft 2015 NASA Authorization Act for the Subcommittee on Space, which passed the House of Representatives via voice vote.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-follett-a2589184

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
for him to only cite a pathetic location that will take 20 years to revive is a complete whiff on his part, regardless of his resume.  I just don't want to be burned again by Nevada (fool me once, fool me twice...).  Other options are now available, and for the near future, he failed to choose something that will open in my lifetime.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
for him to only cite a pathetic location that will take 20 years to revive is a complete whiff on his part, regardless of his resume.  I just don't want to be burned again by Nevada (fool me once, fool me twice...).  Other options are now available, and for the near future, he failed to choose something that will open in my lifetime.

Fair enough, but is there a better option? West Texas would not be any quicker. 4 to 8 years of Trump could be the difference which is what I think the author was talking about. Me personally I like the traveling reactor or equivalent to burn most of that waste but there is not much movement in that direction. Perhaps we could be talking about reprocessing but that would be a slow starter as well.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/bruce_davidson/article/Feds-should-stop-dithering-on-nuke-waste-10856778.php
Article offers to apply one and then the other when the latter is Eventually ready. I'm still never buying it. Sen Reid was not the only one in Nevada throwing up the waste transport blockades.  That State is no more ready to open the floodgates than Idaho is today. It's hard to find a more staunchly republican state in this country and they scream bloody murder every time navy reactor fuel or other waste is considered for INEL. Nevada is full of retired Californians and east coast folks. Same battle.   I'm not saying Texas is the safest choice we've ever seen, but it's nice to actually have a path-forward.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/bruce_davidson/article/Feds-should-stop-dithering-on-nuke-waste-10856778.php
Article offers to apply one and then the other when the latter is Eventually ready. I'm still never buying it. Sen Reid was not the only one in Nevada throwing up the waste transport blockades.  That State is no more ready to open the floodgates than Idaho is today. It's hard to find a more staunchly republican state in this country and they scream bloody murder every time navy reactor fuel or other waste is considered for INEL. Nevada is full of retired Californians and east coast folks. Same battle.   I'm not saying Texas is the safest choice we've ever seen, but it's nice to actually have a path-forward.

Texas may be a quicker option but only for storage. There has been no effort on burial and "permanent" storage. Maybe between the two there is a more solid path forward. A little off topic maybe a railgun firing small quantities at a time from an isolated island in the South pacific. I did a search for anything on this and found nothing serious and current but I don't see why it could not be done. We have a number submarines on the bottom of the ocean without Godzilla attacking Tokyo so there is some data on any failed launches.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 02:59 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Repository Under A Secretary Of Energy Rick Perry: Report

http://patch.com/texas/downtownaustin/texas-could-become-nuclear-waste-repository-under-secretary-energy-rick-perry

I'm liking Perry:

bad idea, Yucca was a money pit for nigh on 20 years,...

resurrecting Yucca will only surfeit the money spent on a political wagering chip which is demonstrably proven to be forfeit upon the whim of the next POTUS' political pandering,...

let Yucca stay dead,...

there are better options,...

no, we should get on with above ground, consolidated, interim storage,...

the technology is done and proven, the licensing is straight forward, the means and methods are a known and definable quantity,...

as of now: Yucca is a new hole in the ground; licensing, certification, impact studies et al, they all have to be redone,...

and should be redone and needs to be redone; Oak Ridge let out the contracts to remove electrical, monitoring, HVAC and other components and systems back in 2012, they've pretty much gutted all the certified systems inside Yucca, it's a hole in the ground, but just a hole,....

it's a money pit, Nevada has sucked enough money out of the public coffers for a pipe dream Nevada never intended to deliver,...

fool me once,...

WCS in Texas (or a similar site) is the best current, cost effective, interim, scenario,...

(sic)

okay,...

your better option began with studies in 1978, partial construction and certification through the 2000's and ignominious cancellation in 2011,...

that would be about 33 years and about 100 billion dollars, and still nothing, and now essentially needing a clean slate of new funding minus the excavation costs, which amounted to 10% (~10BUSD) of the total spent funding to date,...

WCS can be operational in 5 years or less,...

and then, the little "abandoned" ISFISIs scattered across the fruited plain can be consolidated to one, much more secure, facility,...

the re certification process for casks can be become a standard, continuous routine implemented by proficient persons working on a constant processing line, with all the economies of scale so entailed,....

places like Minnesota, which has strict rules imposed on operating nukes concerning on-site storage, can perhaps become more amenable to new nukes as those on-site storage issues become a non sequitur,...

and currently West Texas (time, place, culture), wants the work,...

it is a great long term jobs opportunity for younger nukeworkers,...

you and others can stick with dinosaur premised big government programs as you wish,...

I'll go with something a bit more viable and able to occur within my lifetime,...

in a nutshell: Yucca is the high level waste disposal correspondent to commercial fusion,...

also:

I'll be reprobate before I'd let Harry Reid double back and find some way to take credit for bringing the "right" Yucca Mountain back to Nevada, along with the thousands of jobs and billions of dollars,...

nah, not happening,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Is this before or after he does away with the Department of Energy?   hahahahaha  I know his heart is in the right place but I hope he knows how to get real.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Is this before or after he does away with the Department of Energy?   hahahahaha  I know his heart is in the right place but I hope he knows how to get real.

well, we did build nuclear power plants before there was a DOE,...

hell, one guy even mentioned that Hematite was spelling UNC before anyone knew how to spell NRC,...

I'm just sayin',... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
No I'm glad he is there, but the things that come out of politicians mouths on the left and the right....it just amazes me.  I don't usually even base who I will vote for on what most of them say because you just can't or you probably couldn't bring yourself to vote for anyone!!

I miss this guy just for the comedic value.   My favorite one of all time.  I still can't believe this wasn't a "doctored" video...ha ha.  Supposedly this one actually happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3JdcnFZIJw

atomicarcheologist

hell, one guy even mentioned that Hematite was spelling UNC before anyone knew how to spell NRC,...

Yes indeed!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?