Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I am eligible for NUPOC? honeypot

Author Topic: I am eligible for NUPOC?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline datchenh

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I am eligible for NUPOC?
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:40 »
i woke up this morning to check my email and there it is. An email from America's Navy NUPOC program.
I thought it was just a scam but later the day i received a call from Navy (LOL) asking if i am interested in navy program, but i don't ever recall having applied to Navy?? "
Dear Dat Chenh
 Thank you for your interest in the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate (NUPOC) program.
You have taken the first step on the path to a career unlike any other.
 The information you requested is available here.
 Based on the most recent information you’ve provided, we have confirmed that you are eligible for the NUPOC program. "

is this a joke or something? I am just an average 3.0 GPA community college student. I really don't know what to do next to be honest.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2017, 11:43 by datchenh »

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
Re: I am eligible for NUPOC?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:46 »
Did you provide any info to them at all? Or do you think your school provided that info? Best way to know if youre eligible is to to talk to your nearest officer recruiter (you can find it on the navy website) and take it from there. Rules of thumb:
1) GPA: 3.0 min and higher (also depends on prestige of university)
2) All majors are welcome, but take at least calc and calc based physics courses before you apply.
3) Dweebs need not  apply.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:07 »
Datchenh,

There is a wide range of level of knowledge among recruiters in the field, and the median is not super confidence inspiring.  If you are interested in NUPOC you should read up on it and engage with the recruiter and see what you need to do to become eligible, but with a 3.0 at community college that recruiter is mistaken --- you are not competitive as of now.  With a 3.0 at MIT/Stanford you would probably be ok, but it would be close enough that I would reach out to Naval Reactors for clarification.

You can see more information about the program and competitive profile, etc here: https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

Best,
Brian
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

Offline wilkinakkk

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:53 »
Talk to a real recruiter.  I wouldn't think that community college would fly, however, I got in with a 2.99 from a commuter campus of a good state university years ago. The caveats - I had already graduated (yeah, stupid on my part) and *ding*ding*ding* I was a woman.  If you check the right demographic boxes, it might make up the difference.  It would probably help if you are a cat who identifies as a dog. ;)

I got post cards from the Navy recruiting for med school, etc, for years AFTER I got out.  Really guys, take a hint. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?