Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC acceptance rate? Worth waiting or should I enlist now? honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC acceptance rate? Worth waiting or should I enlist now?  (Read 24143 times)

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

Currently going to take my ASVAB Thursday(took my ASVAB this morning, scored a AFQT of 96 and my NUC composite score is 256)[/font][/color], but considering the long wait I will have in DEP, would it make more sense to just take the two semesters worth of calculus and physics and apply for the NUPOC program? [/font][/size]

Or is the acceptance rate low enough that it would be a crapshoot to getting in or not?

The only info I found on here so chances were good but they were posts from around 8 years ago.
As for my background I currently have a GED and 32 College credits from my University with a GPA of 3.25

Also hearing 25 and up need a waiver? Will that be an issue to get as I turn 25 in June.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 02:54 by Hard_Celery »

HeavyD

Your GPA of 3.25 may be a non-starter for NUPOC.  If I recall correctly, they are looking for 3.5+ to consider.

Another point to consider is that going into the Navy as an enlisted sailor and going in as a commissioned officer are two entirely different jobs and career paths.  The advice you'll see on here repeatedly is do NOT enlist unless you want to be an enlisted Nuke, doing the physical operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of the components that make up the plant.  Cause that's what you'll be doing as an enlisted Nuke.  As an officer, you're a program manager and leader, who'll spend far more of their time doing non-Nuke stuff during a 20 year career than Nuke stuff.

Just some quick thoughts.  There'll be more sage advice from more qualified and experienced folks later, I suspect.  Best of luck!   

Offline Matt

• Light User
3.25 GPA is definitely acceptable to join the NUPOC program for Subs and Surface; however, that will depend on the school, major, and ACT/SAT scores.

You can join as long as you commission before turning 32, so you have plenty of time to finish your degree.

Please read all of the information at the following website: https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com/

If after reading that information, you are still interested in pursing NUPOC you will need to reach out to an Officer Recruiter, https://www.navy.com/locator.html.  Once you reach a recruiter, ensure they put you in contact with a Nuclear Officer recruiter.

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User
3.25 GPA is definitely acceptable to join the NUPOC program for Subs and Surface; however, that will depend on the school, major, and ACT/SAT scores.

You can join as long as you commission before turning 32, so you have plenty of time to finish your degree.

Please read all of the information at the following website: https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com/

If after reading that information, you are still interested in pursing NUPOC you will need to reach out to an Officer Recruiter, https://www.navy.com/locator.html.  Once you reach a recruiter, ensure they put you in contact with a Nuclear Officer recruiter.

I know it's acceptable, but that doesn't really mean nothing if it's not competitive. Also can't really afford to get my degree without NUPOC and I also just need to get out of this environment and give school the focus I need to, to get the grades I want, If I have a high chance of getting in though, I'll get a loan and focus on my physics and calculus and get a 4.0 in them.
I'm a BIO major, I'd probably be more interested in changing to Chem or engineering or something if I actually had the money to go somewhere they were offered. I'd could drop you my transcripts if you'd like to take a look.

I've read it a few times already, but I'm having trouble actually speaking to a recruiter at the moment. Called and left two emails, hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. Also took my ASVAB this morning, scored a AFQT of 96 and my NUC composite score is 256.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 02:57 by Hard_Celery »

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User

Your GPA of 3.25 may be a non-starter for NUPOC.  If I recall correctly, they are looking for 3.5+ to consider.

Another point to consider is that going into the Navy as an enlisted sailor and going in as a commissioned officer are two entirely different jobs and career paths.  The advice you'll see on here repeatedly is do NOT enlist unless you want to be an enlisted Nuke, doing the physical operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of the components that make up the plant.  Cause that's what you'll be doing as an enlisted Nuke.  As an officer, you're a program manager and leader, who'll spend far more of their time doing non-Nuke stuff during a 20 year career than Nuke stuff.

Just some quick thoughts.  There'll be more sage advice from more qualified and experienced folks later, I suspect.  Best of luck!   

Officer sounds like it'd be a better quality of life and more enjoyable for sure but I'm not joining for a vacation. I'm joining for money, and to learn a skill in a field that luckily also aligns with my interests.

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User
Well I talked to one recruiter and he said I'd be competitive he said anything above a 3.0 is....but I feel like he might've just been saying that to get me off the phone, when I told him I still needed physics and calculus he changed his tone pretty quick and it became obvious he didn't really feel like continuing the conversation. Not the same one I emailed so maybe he'll get back to me and they'll both say the same thing.

I was also told by someone else I know if I don't go NUPOC that because of my college credits, I'd be likely to be picked up for STA-21 also.

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
Hard_Celery ( lol , what a username!), I'm currently a engineering undergrad who spoke to a recruiter about NUPOC, and he is helping me through the process. What year are you right now? With 32 completed credits, I'm assuming you are now considered a sophomore, although IDK what your curriculum is like. You cant start applying for NUPOC until 30 months before graduation, which aligns roughly with the 2nd semester of sophomore year (assuming you are one time with your credits). Regardless, you still need those Calc and Calc-based physics courses under your belt before you can apply. When the recruiter pushes through the paperwork, I read somewhere it can take 1-4 months before you are officially part of the program; this time period will involve you going to Washington D.C to meet the Wizard of Oz himself, Admiral Richardson, where you and him perform the secret Navy handshake, the "Rickover Rumble".
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 07:32 by Biomaverick »

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User

Hard_Celery ( lol , what a username!), I'm currently a engineering undergrad who spoke to a recruiter about NUPOC, and he is helping me through the process. What year are you right now? With 32 completed credits, I'm assuming you are now considered a sophomore, although IDK what your curriculum is like. You cant start applying for NUPOC until 30 months before graduation, which aligns roughly with the 2nd semester of sophomore year (assuming you are one time with your credits). Regardless, you still need those Calc and Calc-based physics courses under your belt before you can apply. When the recruiter pushes through the paperwork, I read somewhere it can take 1-4 months before you are officially part of the program; this time period will involve you going to Washington D.C to meet the Wizard of Oz himself, Admiral Richardson, where you and him perform the secret Navy handshake, the "Rickover Rumble".

Yes I'm a sophomore. I've done 3 semesters, and not currently enrolled as I was planning on enlisting but know I'm finding out about NUPOC. Wish I would've known earlier or I'd be doing a semester of physics and calculus and finishing the rest over summer, I'd also get the credits I need to finish by then. Currently in Bio but if I got in NUPOC I wouldn't mind changing majors and doing something in engineering or chemistry instead since I'd have the cash to go somewhere that offered those.

Also Richardson?! What happened to Caldwell?

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
'Adm. James F. Caldwell, Jr. relieved Adm. John M. Richardson, Director, Naval Reactors in a small ceremony at Naval Reactors Headquarters. Adm. Richardson, a submarine officer and a 1982 graduate of the United States Naval Academy, assumed command of the U.S. Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program in November of 2012.' - Aug 17, 2015

Ah geez, my intel is close to two years old. What next, someone's going to tell me that Obama is no longer our commander in chief??

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User

'Adm. James F. Caldwell, Jr. relieved Adm. John M. Richardson, Director, Naval Reactors in a small ceremony at Naval Reactors Headquarters. Adm. Richardson, a submarine officer and a 1982 graduate of the United States Naval Academy, assumed command of the U.S. Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program in November of 2012.' - Aug 17, 2015

Ah geez, my intel is close to two years old. What next, someone's going to tell me that Obama is no longer our commander in chief??

Do you already have your physics and calculus classes down? If I get in I'll put you down as recruiting me for a space on Mars.

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
How did you know I planned to go to Mars? You saw my previous post? So yeah, I got those courses covered a while back. Well, I doubt the astronaut selection decision will be mine to make, but if Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos asks me If I knew a guy, I'll give him my recommendation. ;)

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User

How did you know I planned to go to Mars? You saw my previous post? So yeah, I got those courses covered a while back. Well, I doubt the astronaut selection decision will be mine to make, but if Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos asks me If I knew a guy, I'll give him my recommendation. ;)

Yea, I think you're pretty crazy but the new Space suits are pretty sexy so I can't blame ya.

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
What can I say, I MUST keep up with the latest fashion trends.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
What can I say, I MUST keep up with the latest fashion trends.

If you mean the new ones from Boeing I believe they are intended for space tourism (Earth orbit) not long term use. I suspect suits for Mars would be more substantial to endure wind and sand. They do look cool though.

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017, 11:13 by Biomaverick »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017, 12:09 by Marlin »

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
I thought it was supposed to represent an inverted space ship/shuttle with rockets firing, but I have honestly no clue what it represents. It appeared on the previous blue prototype and was larger, which leads me to believe that it serves mainly as an illumination source when working in a Martian storm.
From a different article,
'In 2014, NASA unveiled the winner in a contest, open to the public, to select the appearance of the outer covering of the Z-2 next-generation spacesuit. The winning design, nicknamed "Technology," sports electroluminescent stripes (right) for better visibility in darkness.'

I seriously dig the design. The pants look like my Vertx pants, gusseted, tacticool and shit!

Offline Biomaverick

• Light User
Also Marlin, I'll make sure to bring back a jar of Martian soil for you, if you'd want and if i'm allowed, lol

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Also Marlin, I'll make sure to bring back a jar of Martian soil for you, if you'd want and if i'm allowed, lol

You may have to FedSpaceX to me if it is not a round trip  ;)

Offline mick996

• Very Lite User

Currently going to take my ASVAB Thursday(took my ASVAB this morning, scored a AFQT of 96 and my NUC composite score is 256), but considering the long wait I will have in DEP, would it make more sense to just take the two semesters worth of calculus and physics and apply for the NUPOC program?

Or is the acceptance rate low enough that it would be a crapshoot to getting in or not?

The only info I found on here so chances were good but they were posts from around 8 years ago.
As for my background I currently have a GED and 32 College credits from my University with a GPA of 3.25

Also hearing 25 and up need a waiver? Will that be an issue to get as I turn 25 in June.

I'm in a similar boat myself, though I need an age waiver as well (27 in May). I am enlisting regardless but I'm trying for nuke. Currently waiting on my background check to clear and see if my age waiver is approved. To the best of my knowledge, you're ship date must be before your 26th birthday. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Offline Hard_Celery

• Light User

I'm in a similar boat myself, though I need an age waiver as well (27 in May). I am enlisting regardless but I'm trying for nuke. Currently waiting on my background check to clear and see if my age waiver is approved. To the best of my knowledge, you're ship date must be before your 26th birthday. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes for me.

What are you hearing about the likeliness? I've heard it's pretty hard to get a waiver now a days, which is kind of pushing me to enlist if I can shipped in time.

Good luck!

Offline mick996

• Very Lite User
It's hard to tell only because you hear stories of recruiters blowing smoke up your behind. I've heard positive accounts of individuals my age but any older than a year I've heard is basically a non-starter--my recruiters expressed the same sentiment. No one at MEPS could tell me one way or the other, and I wasn't really them expecting to. I've been told that I 'should' know one way or another by the end of the month/middle of February but I still haven't heard anything. If I was in your shoes, I would start the process now for nuke so you don't have to worry about your age being a factor. Also, do you know what you scored on the EL portion? That also needs to be above 250. If both you are over 250 for both the NUC and EL fields then you "alpha-qualify". If not, there is a separate test you can take to qualify for the program. It is my understanding that those who alpha-qualify are given preference to a degree (which is what I'm banking on given my age). I ask because you won't be able to sign up at MEPS without alpha-qualifying, you'll need to take another test, the NAPT I think. For that, I imagine you'd have to come back another day to do so but I just don't know. I meet with my recruiters again in a couple days so I'll let you know if I hear anything new.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
It's hard to tell only because you hear stories of recruiters blowing smoke up your behind.

A long Navy tradition, once you are in it will be your detailers that are lying to you. Overly pessimistic but universally accepted.

[coffee]
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2017, 08:19 by Marlin »

Offline mick996

• Very Lite User
A long Navy tradition, once you are in it will be your detailers that are lying to you. Overly pessimistic but universally accepted.

[coffee]

"detailers"? Excuse my newbishness...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?