Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Back in the Saddle?

Author Topic: Back in the Saddle?  (Read 3342 times)

Offline iandad

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Back in the Saddle?
« on: Feb 11, 2017, 03:31 »
Hey All,

Just wanted to throw this our there. I've been out of the industry for about 15 years or so. Since  then I have been working in the transmission line construction sector: training (including CBT/WBT development), procedure writing, bid prep, and project management. At this point I am tired of the PM "grind" and am casting my gaze on my old trade. I am 55 and plan on working at least another ten years, seasonal or contract work  would be perfect as kids  are grown now.

HP Background:

• Started with the old Eberline HP group our of Santa Fe/Oak Ridge/Aiken.
  • Passed all RCT quals.
  • Traveled with Eberline, including working on Johnston Atoll for a stint. Had lot of time testing instrumentation and new tech on DOE FUSRAP sites.
  • Worked at SRS in SC, went through full RCT training. Lots of job coverage time.
  • Attained NRRPT registry.
  • Spent 3 years as a Rad Safety trainer at a university medical school.
  • Probably 15 years of HP/Enviro experience
  • BS degree, strong physics background.
  • Been supervising lineman performing Xray on powerline components for the last ten years, including serving as RSO and dealing with al of the (painful) state industrial radiography regulators across the US.
I think I could spin back up on the quals fairly easily and am looking at the current qualification list(s). l know the industry is kinda soft right now but I have tremendous skills over and above just swinging a meter. Would be able to start back with doing that though if that's what it takes as I have a good nest egg.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 03:35 by iandad »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Back in the Saddle?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:26 »
l know the industry is kinda soft right now but I have tremendous skills over and above just swinging a meter. Would be able to start back with doing that though if that's what it takes as I have a good nest egg.

You allude to two things.  One, coming back as a technician, and another coming back as... you don't say as what.

What is your REAL question.  Do you want to come back as a tech, or as something else, and if something else, then what?

If it's coming back as a tech, there are some great tools available to help you pass the RP test with little pain and agony.  If you want to come back as something else; its submit your resume, and roll the dice.

You MAY need to work one tech job to get your clearance back, to make you more marketable... you may not.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 09:28 by Rennhack »

Offline iandad

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:04 »
Thanks for the prompt reply. In regards to your question(s):

Of course I would like to have another professional position, particularly training.  That said I would indeed be willing to come back as a tech just to get my foot back in the industry. BTW, I am also looking at doing the same in Industrial Radiography although that market seems a little soft also.

I have browsed the study sites and found the study guides, etc. Much better resources than we I went through all the first go-round. I have also seen the posts on the decline of the folks getting registered, it was a big deal back in the day. Now, it appears, not so much. I would have no problem with the other quals, just need some time going through the material and crunching the calcs.

I also have traditional safety quals : OSHA 500, Red Cross FA/CPR/AED instructor, and a ton of experience in the electrical utility industry.

I am just looking at HP work as one possible option... Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 06:06 by iandad »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:59 »
currant time frame wood bee berry good to catch an outage. hit the big boys, bhi and d&z. that'll get clearance taken care of as mike related. plus yule have a chance two rub shoulders and converse with sum in the industry for available positions. good luck, butt move quick!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?