Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Previous employer advice  

Author Topic: Previous employer advice  (Read 3338 times)

Offline rwing27

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Previous employer advice
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:10 »
Hello fellow nukes,
Two sided question for you about previous employment.  My former boss created such a toxic environment and is nearly dangerous in his management of a research reactor, that i had to leave.  Since then, he has pinged me NUMEROUS times asking for help.  He is useless.  I help, because i love the reactor and the other people that work there. So, in your opinions:
1) how long do i deal with this free advice giving? vice throwing down the hammer and saying i need to be hired as a consultant.
2) If the consultant route is a logical, acceptable one, what should i charge?  I have 18 yrs of nuke experience, research SRO, and a number of talents from being a former nuke RO on an old, fire-prone boat.
Thanks all!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Previous employer advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:23 »
1) how long do i deal with this free advice giving? vice throwing down the hammer and saying i need to be hired as a consultant.

After the first time.

2) If the consultant route is a logical, acceptable one, what should i charge?

As little as you are willing to work for and as much as he is willing to pay.

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2017, 08:32 by Rennhack »

rlbinc

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:42 »
Consultants set their own price. If you deliver value, you'll stay well employed.
In nuclear power, most consultant roles bill about $150 to $200 an hour, some include retainer, if long term service is required.
If it involves legal counsel, well over triple that rate.

Toxic relationships don't evaporate.
Serve your client. Don't judge them, they have a boss for that. Be an asset they want on their team.
If this sounds foreign to you - my advice is to avoid becoming a consultant.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:39 »
Research reactor does not equal nuclear power.

Offline rwing27

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:31 »
Thanks for the advice guys! Yes I know RR's are not power but i also have power experience and most of the issues are NI related anyway.  rlbinc, you are right they don't and having separated myself physically it has helped me take a technical only role.  rennhack, thank you as well.  Both of you have provided excellent information. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?