Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Two Bachelors degrees recommendation  

Author Topic: Two Bachelors degrees recommendation  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Globotron

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Two Bachelors degrees recommendation
« on: Feb 24, 2017, 02:06 »
Hello fellow nukes, new user here.

I'm seeking some career advice about the Nuclear Engineering Technology degree that is readily available to former nukes at Excelsior.

Background:
I got out in '06 as an MM2, worked in industrial for a few years, decided I wanted my mechanical engineering degree and started as a freshman at a state school in Ohio. I finished that, worked as a design engineer for the last 2.5 years and just got laid off due to the current oil situation.

I'm looking for another position in the northeast, but wanted to ask if you think be beneficial to have an additional BS degree on my resume, I've reviewed the coursework for Excelsior BS-NET degree, and I'm filled out for the chart if they would transfer my electives from the BS-ME degree (ABET and all).

It'd almost be like buying the piece of paper from Excelsior.

What do you think? Would I be wasting my time?

Thanks

-Mike

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Two Bachelors degrees recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:22 »
Personally I think the BSME is far more valuable than a BS-NET.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:18 »
Excelsior: another online school like Columbia Southern with the ho-hum Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation.  The degree is what it is. Some businesses will be happy hire you and mention your multiple degrees, others might raise an eyebrow about why you added that specific one.  Does it open specific job market doors based on that degree title versus your other well-received OSU degree? I think a specialized MS in something you like makes more sense.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:36 »
if yew have the time, a masters will pop you inn two management faster then dubble bachelors.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline JMM

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2017, 03:40 »
I could see having the two degrees on your resume if you got the technology degree first, then decided to get the actual engineering degree.  Doing what you are asking is like having a High School diploma from a reputable college prep school and then going back to get your GED so you have something more to put on your college applications.

You already have the education you need to get a good job, and you even have some experience under your belt.  Why are you even thinking about wasting your time at Excelsior?  The fact that you are basically "buying the piece of paper" from Excelsior should tell you all you need to know about your question. 

After we completed our AAS, I know a guy that got a Nuclear Technology Bachelor degree at Excelsior because they basically accepted all of our two year credits.  He then applied to a State University for a Master's.  They told him, here go take these courses and you will qualify to register.  The list was basically four years worth of courses.  In essence, they were telling him his degree was worthless.  And I know he was a 4.0 student, or damn close to it.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2017, 04:32 »
BS-ME better than any bach degree from Excelsior.  Don't bother unless you specifically need that degree; the company you are with wants you to get it for advancement.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:25 »
wail, globotron sayed he had his bachelors in m.e. from an ohio state school. aye still tink a bs and a ms is worth moore than too bs degrees.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2017, 04:50 »
Let me get this straight. You already have a BSME from an actual University and you're asking if it would help to get some garbage online degree to help your job prospects?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2017, 04:54 by Frank Cable »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?