Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Grad school in science after enlistment honeypot

Author Topic: Grad school in science after enlistment  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Mmccoy

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Grad school in science after enlistment
« on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:07 »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the site for awhile and had a kind of specific question about career paths after serving as a nuke. Has anyone here gone on to grad school in a science after their time as a nuke, or know someone who has? Mainly, I'm interested in hearing about masters or PhD's in physics, chemistry, biology, something like that (as opposed to an engineering field). Even economics or math.

I know that being a nuke looks really good for engineering careers after but I'm wondering if that's the case for pure science fields too. Do you think universities will appreciate the experience as a nuke, even though its mainly technical?

Some background about me, I have a Bachelor's in physics and want to continue in the field after serving. Due to my low junior and senior year gpa, and no research experience, grad school seems to be out of reach for me now. (The phrase "lack of experience" keeps coming up). So I saw being a nuke as a good way to explore a related field, get some work (and life) experience, and get that laziness streak out of me that caused the low gpa in my last years of college.

I think I will enjoy the work and the time on the ship and traveling, but I also want to know that it's helping my future career goals too.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 10:09 by Mmccoy »

HeavyD

Re: Grad school in science after enlistment
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2017, 09:31 »
If you're looking for "experience" in physics, not going to find that as an enlisted Nuke.  We operate, maintain and repair the systems and equipment that provides propulsion and electrical generation for carriers and subs.  We also implement and run various administrative programs to support these activities, as well as the Navy's mission overall.

What serving shows a potential employer is that you are, generally speaking, trainable, dependable, reliable, and goal and detail oriented.  I say employers because the grad school entrance process might as well be a job application process.

Best of luck and hopefully this offers a quick peak behind the curtain.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:33 »
.........Best of luck and hopefully this offers a quick peak behind the curtain.

keep in mind that, while serving as an enlisted nuke in the USN, you will probably not enhance your skills and knowledge regarding the structure and use of the English language,...

of course, if you do know how to correctly spell the correct homonym within the correct context of that homonym, then,....

the detail oriented part of being an enlisted nuke will make you a pain in the ass to the other nukes in your division should you choose to lift all boats with your training goals vis a vis spelling, exemplia gratia,... :P ;) :) 8)

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL [Flamer]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:17 »

of course, if you do know how to correctly spell the correct homonym within the correct context of that homonym, then,....

aye could take exception two that, butt that wood bee to much exertation of mine and body.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:27 »
Well played GLW, well played  ;D

Guilty as charged ;D

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2017, 04:09 »
aye could take exception two that, butt that wood bee to much exertation of mine and body.

regarding the English language,...

SloGlo don't count,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2017, 04:11 »
Well played GLW, well played  ;D

Guilty as charged ;D

nukes and english are a mixture, not a compound,...

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:31 »
I know a girl who got out of the army (diesel mechanic) and got a PhD in Biochemistry and a nuke who got out and is working on his PhD in physics, if that helps. The GI Bill will most likely get you through your Masters, just FYI.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:07 »
regarding the English language,...

SloGlo don't count,... :P ;) :) 8)
lol... yins dew naught want me two go international, yew have enough trubble with english n 'burghese. we mon sewer?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:18 »
nukes and english are a mixture, not a compound,...
cheque, mate.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11:29 »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the site for awhile and had a kind of specific question about career paths after serving as a nuke. Has anyone here gone on to grad school in a science after their time as a nuke, or know someone who has? Mainly, I'm interested in hearing about masters or PhD's in physics, chemistry, biology, something like that (as opposed to an engineering field). Even economics or math.

I know that being a nuke looks really good for engineering careers after but I'm wondering if that's the case for pure science fields too. Do you think universities will appreciate the experience as a nuke, even though its mainly technical?

Some background about me, I have a Bachelor's in physics and want to continue in the field after serving. Due to my low junior and senior year gpa, and no research experience, grad school seems to be out of reach for me now. (The phrase "lack of experience" keeps coming up). So I saw being a nuke as a good way to explore a related field, get some work (and life) experience, and get that laziness streak out of me that caused the low gpa in my last years of college.

I think I will enjoy the work and the time on the ship and traveling, but I also want to know that it's helping my future career goals too.

Grad school programs care about your your GPA, your standardized test scores, and your 'extra-curriculars/work experience,' in that order. Your nuke experience will mostly be interpreted as 'prior military' as far as grad school goes, and won't be interpreted much differently than the prior Marine's application right next to yours.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 11:36 by spekkio »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?