Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Job question honeypot

Author Topic: Job question  (Read 4045 times)

goldbergspare

Job question
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 05:03 »

Hello guys i will be graduating from Texas A&M in Bachelors in Nuclear Engineer this spring semester. I am a neutronics guy, have worked on MCNP-SERPENT, CASMO. for core optimization. I'm trying to find a job but i can't, i've been applying here and there. I applied for a couple of jobs and mistakenly applied for Entergy I&C technician, the good thing is they told me take a test. It's an EEI EXAM for technicians. I went and did the practice exams and they are very very easy. Now my question is should i go there and give the test, it's in new Orleans. It's for Waterford power plant technician job. What should i do, i still have a couple of months to go in order to graduate. Should i go and apply and work there after graduation? If i do will i be able to become an engineer that im qualified for? And how much do you think technicians get paid. and is it you get a more radiation dose because you're getting high paid as compared to a normal engineer.

Please let me know,
Thank you.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2017, 05:07 by goldbergspare »

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Job question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 12:33 »
Run in the other direction.  Join the Air Force as a military officer.  They'll even send you to AFIT or another approved university program (Purdue, SDSU, CSU, etc.) for an MS.  Become a environmental health physicist or a medical health physicist. Receive a ton of continuing education and experience and get out as a major. You'll then have your choice of $125-200k opportunities.  While the Navy and Army offer similar, it beats all the Navy travel requirements and the overall Army atmosphere.  And.. no "technician" time on your resume.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2017, 04:03 »

Hello guys i will be graduating from Texas A&M in Bachelors in Nuclear Engineer this spring semester. I am a neutronics guy, have worked on MCNP-SERPENT, CASMO. for core optimization. I'm trying to find a job but i can't, i've been applying here and there. I applied for a couple of jobs and mistakenly applied for Entergy I&C technician, the good thing is they told me take a test. It's an EEI EXAM for technicians. I went and did the practice exams and they are very very easy. Now my question is should i go there and give the test, it's in new Orleans. It's for Waterford power plant technician job. What should i do, i still have a couple of months to go in order to graduate. Should i go and apply and work there after graduation? If i do will i be able to become an engineer that im qualified for? And how much do you think technicians get paid. and is it you get a more radiation dose because you're getting high paid as compared to a normal engineer.

Please let me know,
Thank you.

Have you tried any of the National Labs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Energy_national_laboratories#List_of_DOE_National_Laboratories_and_Technology_Centers

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:06 »
Completely agree with Marlin.  While the Federal DOE openings are frozen, the DOE Prime Contractor run labs presently have (ex: ORNL, LANL and Sandia) have outstanding nuclear/HP related openings.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:21 »
mounder got it.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:00 »
Also look at NuScale (I think that's their name), they're out of Oregon working next gen reactors.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?