Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Mechanical engineer to nuclear equipment operator or college?  

Author Topic: Mechanical engineer to nuclear equipment operator or college?  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Idks16

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
 Hi
 I am currently working at a small HVAC company in NYC but I don't like sitting in a office all the time and I only got a 3k raise from 47k. There are no company benefits like health insurance and 401k. I graduated with a BSME in DEC 2015 and have been working there for 1yr and 3 months. I have a interview with Exelon next week for a nuclear equipment operator position in upstate NY at RE Ginna power plant. I also wanted to go back to college for my masters or another degree. I was thinking about a nursing degree but I don't know if that will work with the nuclear equipment operator hours because of the 12hr shifts day or night. I also have to think about the cost of relocating and buying a car since there is no public transportation to the plant (according to google maps) and I currently live with my parents so I don't pay rent. I also still have 20k student loans left to payoff.

Here are my questions:
 1. Will I have time to go back to college for a nursing degree or another degree?
 2. What is the wage of a nuclear equipment operator in NY?
 3. Is it worth it financially to accept the job and relocate upstate?
 4. what is the daily life of a nuclear equipment operator and is the job enjoyable?

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
1. No
2. Fully qualified ~ $43+
3. Yes
4. Not even going there

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
I was going to answer, but couldn't stop laughing after the first question. I'm also in PA, so I don't know what NPOs/NLOs make in NY.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

3. Yes

just so long as this is your idea of a lovely winter:

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Hi
 I am currently working at a small HVAC company in NYC but I don't like sitting in a office all the time and I only got a 3k raise from 47k. 3k raise from 47k? that's pretty darned good (unless it was part of a promotion - even then, it's not bad) - expect 2%/yr to be the norm in the rest of the world. There are no company benefits like health insurance and 401k. (you have a couple more years to ride your parents insurance - step up and start an IRA on your own) I graduated with a BSME in DEC 2015 and have been working there for 1yr and 3 months. I have a interview with Exelon next week for a nuclear equipment operator position in upstate NY at RE Ginna power plant. I also wanted to go back to college for my masters or another degree. I was thinking about a nursing degree but I don't know if that will work with the nuclear equipment operator hours because of the 12hr shifts day or night. I also have to think about the cost of relocating and buying a car since there is no public transportation to the plant (according to google maps)(most of America does not have public transportation - get a used hyundai, a small apt., and start putting money in the bank) and I currently live with my parents so I don't pay rent. I also still have 20k student loans left to payoff. $20k in loans is the equivalent of a Corolla - suck it up, should be paid off in <4 years, especially if housing is covered by your folks.

Here are my questions:
 1. Will I have time to go back to college for a nursing degree or another degree? - you may - shift work makes it difficult. Online is a possibility. Exelon may pay for it if it's in your field, may not for nursing. You may find it easier to get nursing degree where you are - regular hours, family support, location....
 2. What is the wage of a nuclear equipment operator in NY? that would be a good question for the interview. Well above what you are making now.
 3. Is it worth it financially to accept the job and relocate upstate? depends - if you are NYC born and raised - upstate is a different country ;-)
 4. what is the daily life of a nuclear equipment operator and is the job enjoyable? - shift work, boring interspersed with activity, tedium interspersed with fanatical attention to detail

Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?