Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chances for security clearance?
honeypot

Author Topic: Chances for security clearance?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline retraction

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Chances for security clearance?
« on: Mar 27, 2017, 04:23 »
I'm a first year at UC San Diego majoring in Economics. I got a 97 on my ASVAB when I took it in high school and my recruiter called me and gave me the pitch.

Long story short, I'm worried about clearance. I was arrested twice for public intoxication within the last 6 months unfortunately. For the first one, I took a class and charges got dropped. For the second one, the district attorney didn't even pursue charges. I talked to my campus lawyer and she said that arrests without charges filed are technically detentions in my county. But I have to clarify that again.

My background. Sit tight because this is confusing.

Born in Pakistan, moved to the US when I was 2. Lived here till I was 9 years and moved to Afghanistan. Moved back to the States when I was 13 and did high school in the US. My whole family except my dad has citizenship, and my dad is getting his in a couple of weeks.

Now for the bad things:

My brother and his wife visit Afghanistan like every 5-6 years to see family. My dad visits like every year. My mom visited Iran to see family like 3 years ago. My sister currently lives and works in Afghanistan (however she works for a huge international organization. Think the IMF or the UN). I sometimes talk to my cousins and friends in Afghanistan, but other than that, no contact with a foreign national.

Good things:

I play a D1 sport for my school. I am the former president of my dorm and I work at the sustainability office for my campus. I also have a 3.7 GPA and my credit score is like 680 (which should be going up because I opened a card just last year).

I'm scared that I sign up and I do all the BS and then not get a clearance and end up doing some s**t job like security guard or whatever. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2017, 07:43 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Samabby

Re: Chances for security clearance?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:50 »
Speaking as an outsider to the system, it seems highly unlikely to me  that you would be able to get the clearances needed. You are doing very well in your undergrad program so keep pushing along that trail. Good luck.

Offline wilkinakkk

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Chances for security clearance?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12:04 »
With 2 PI arrests and no convictions you should be able to get a clearance.

DO NOT LIE ABOUT THEM OR TRY TO HIDE THEM.

I know many with skeletons in their closets that have security clearances.  The main thing to remember is not to try and hide anything.   If you omit bad information and the investigators find it (and they will) you are screwed.  Tell them up front.

A buddy of mine has a TS clearance even though he has family in the Mafia and another brother is a convicted rapist.  One of my power school buddies had an indecent exposure charge on his record.

The family connections might be a bit troublesome.  My neighbor lost his clearance when it was found his brother and sister were here illegally.  I think he's Filipino.

Just to be clear - If you go in as an officer and are commissioned, you won't end up as a security guard.  Most fields do require a clearance; you will need a higher clearance for the ship/sub driver part of your career than the nuke part.  If you were unable to get a clearance after being commissioned, my guess is you would get the option of either switching to a field like HR (there is one), maybe Supply or being separated at the Navy's convenience.  I would try and not spend any initial nuke bonus dollars, because you'll probably have to pay it back.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2017, 12:05 by wilkinakkk »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?