Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A car for prototype

Author Topic: A car for prototype  (Read 4965 times)

Offline PSherman42WallabyWay

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
A car for prototype
« on: Apr 05, 2017, 12:19 »
Hello,
I graduated Power School last Friday and am headed up to Ballston Spa for prototype. I live in Brooklyn, NY, so I decided to stay at home for a little bit before heading up to check in.

For a long time, I've known that prototype is the phase in our training where we're expected to have a car. At the least, I'm positive we will need it at some point during prototype. However, I heard that the first 7 weeks of prototype is classroom instruction, much like an extension of Power School, and that for these first 7 weeks, especially for Ballston Spa, we will be mandated to carpool due to the limited parking spots.

I do not own a car yet, and I did not purchase one while in Charleston. I had the intention of taking care of this while in Power School, but honestly, I was getting completely eaten alive by the schoolwork, especially towards the end.

My plan was to perhaps wire transfer our sign-on bonus (the first 1/3 and the 2/3 after prototype) to my dad to take his Civic at home up with me, and let him handle leasing out a new car since he has much more experience with that than I do. However, I think I've realized my family may urgently need two cars at home while I'm gone.

Does anyone know the extent to which we'll have to carpool while we're up there for those first 7 weeks of instruction? My roommates are all from the power school class we graduated from; we're all the same rate and I'm guessing we will all start class together. They each have cars, and if I bring my Civic up, that'll be 3 cars to one household.

If I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle, do you recommend buying or leasing? Especially looking forward to moving to a new command; which purchasing option would you recommend? If my eventual desire is to be stationed on a fast-attack (taking into consideration I may not get my first choice request), is it better to buy or lease, given how often I won't even be able to use the car? Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2017, 12:23 by PSherman42WallabyWay »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: A car for prototype
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2017, 04:31 »
First, as far as I know, there's no "requirement" to carpool, however it is always recommended. Second, with roommates with cars, you really don't need a car unless you want to go out by yourself during your time off. Also, if you're carpooling, you're more likely to be in the same section as your roommates when you get to section. As far as buying/leasing goes, how long do you think you'll keep the car? If you're likely to replace it in 3-5 years, lease (but be careful of the miles), keeping for longer, buy.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2017, 10:56 »
You can complete protoype at West Milton KSO without a car but your time off will be a never ending coordination of bumming rides to tend to your personal business. There is minimal public transportation, lousy and expensive taxi options, Uber is illegal in upstate NY, and bicycling trails or bike lanes nonexistent for daily use.

The region is a group of unconnected bedroom communities, some large villages and small cities, plus a few very bucolic hamlets.

The region does have lots of well paved roads.

It's a car place.

I like it, I went to p-type here, moved back after EAOS, raised my children here, half of my grandchildren are here, and I have always had a car(s) all the time.

A car for my kids as soon as practicable was always a big help for them and the rest of the family, because things to do and things that need getting done are spaced far and wide from each other.

IF you live in B Spa or Saratoga Springs you can walk about okay (or bicycle) for what you need to get done and there are buses which run the Route 50 line between the two population centers.

If a car is too much you can motorcycle about until mid October, as you already know New York you know you'll need a motorcycle license for that.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2017, 11:11 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2017, 10:47 »
to answer your question: you said your family may need the car when you are sent overseas.  That's perfect.  You can let them use it for 3-5 years and they'll give it back to you then.  Buying or leasing is a personal choice. Do you intend to drive it long-term until it's becomes un-roadwothy, then buy. The lease or buy determination should have nothing to do with your future move.  This is a routine thing for officers to have to quick sell vehicles or have family members maintain them.  The base news will have similar fate officers selling vehicles off and on.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2017, 08:24 »
to answer your question: you said your family may need the car when you are sent overseas.  That's perfect.  You can let them use it for 3-5 years and they'll give it back to you then.  Buying or leasing is a personal choice. Do you intend to drive it long-term until it's becomes un-roadwothy, then buy. The lease or buy determination should have nothing to do with your future move.  This is a routine thing for officers to have to quick sell vehicles or have family members maintain them.  The base news will have similar fate officers selling vehicles off and on.

the OP is not an officer,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2017, 12:15 »
i would buy a cheap but reliable vehicle if you aren't ocd or a "car guy".  my cars always got dinged and messed up with all the different places I was parking it in the Nav.  Consider something that has decent cargo space if possible.  nice for flexibility when moving around alot.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2017, 04:57 »
Just read the OPs name. It made me giggle.

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:43 »
You managed to complete a very difficult program at Goose Creek so I expect that this minor task is one that you could ( and should ) do all by yourself without any involvement from the folks. Several have mentioned getting an old beater- do this and stash away the bonus. Good luck, son.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?