Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

OK, need to know about how to go to grad school...

<< < (2/2)

indoprime:
OK, i might be able to shed some light on this....

1) Decide what geographic area of the US where you'd like to spend the next 2-5 yrs.

2) Decide how long you wanna go. MS will take generally 2-3yrs to complete, PhD's will take anywhere between 5-7.

3) Get some recommendations in hand from about 3 people who have supervised you in some capacity.

4) Get your undergrad transcripts.

5) Grab a pen, or do your app online, and apply apply apply!

Btw, make sure you have about $200 of disposable cash, those application fees are expensive.

xnhase:

--- Quote from: indoprime on Nov 09, 2005, 04:07 ---OK, i might be able to shed some light on this....

1) Decide what geographic area of the US where you'd like to spend the next 2-5 yrs.

[***]

--- End quote ---

IMO, geography would be #2 after your major (e.g., engineering, physics, english literature, etc.). 

As for me, it was nuclear engineering.  In any case, I'd recommend an onsite program, but there are some online programs (http://www.worldwidelearn.com/engineering-degree/other-engineering-degree.htm).

Good luck!

M1Ark:

--- Quote from: JMK on Sep 30, 2005, 11:12 ---Get your butt to sea.

But, if you choose to punk out and try to do a liitle grad time before actually fulfilling the needs of the Navy, i suggest you polish some brass.

--- End quote ---

I think you folks are taking JMK's comment a little too seriously.  I thought it was funny.  The 'polish brass' part was probably over the top.  I work with a guy that was in school his entire Naval career (Boot Camp -> ET A School -> Enlisted Power School -> Prototype -> BOOST -> Naval Academy -> Officer Power School -> Prototype -> Embassy duty in Korea -> Civilian)

I make fun of him to this day for being a professional student and we are good friends.

BigJer25... it's ok to be made fun of.  That's what navy nukes do for fun.  If you can get into grad school on the navy... more power to you.  Now how about Embassy duty in Somalia? ;)

BTW, JMK.  How was your Fitzpatrick interview?  PM me.

Rad Sponge:
Wow, someone who can actually detect sarcasm, thanks Ark.

Did I recognize the EM1(SS)? No, I obviously did not read the very first sentence of the original poster's post!

Yes I read it, so I figured an actual (SS) would understand my reply as a joke!

But as always there are the more sensitive types out there...

I figure the only way to get 2 years extra after finishing the 4 year degree would be through the approval of higher ups, hence the advice...I figure it would be pretty self explanatory...

I read through all the posts and I think my advice was the most realistic of them all. It cuts through all the bull crap touchy feely crap given in protest of my no-nonsense, albeit insensitive opinion.

If you wish to hold off the at-sea Div-O tour, you better start hoisting some anchor.

PWHoppe:
Just as an uniniterested party I wish to note that to those who have never been aboard submarines; the type of ribbing and sarcasam that exists there can be somewhat shocking. Having spent a fair portion of my life onboard the sewer pipes I realize that the "attacks" are in no way personal but merely a way of life. It is sometimes hard to make that adjustment to the civilian world where people believe that what you are saying is taken so seriously. Everyone needs to try and look at who is doing the speaking and where they are coming from. No blood, no foul.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator, and ex-bubblehead.

hopster

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version