Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hanford Nuclear Reservation tunnel collapse triggers alert  

Author Topic: Hanford Nuclear Reservation tunnel collapse triggers alert  (Read 10705 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Hanford tunnel breach confirmed in emergency at nuclear reservation

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/hanford/article149475209.html

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Sigh.... one more nail in the coffin.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
Sigh...one more coffin in the graveyard.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Yeppers, this is definitely going to put a halt to Plutonium production at Hanford  :P
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
I did get a laugh at the RADIATION RADIATION RADIATION RADIATION screen for the video......that had an oil industry commercial before the Hanford footage. See, THAT'S what the Nuclear Power industry should be doing. Golf spill......Pro-Nuclear commercials before, during and at the end of all the footage associated with the VERY frequent times the fossil industry F's things up. But nope.....we stay quiet. Meanwhile the oil industry attaches to sh*t like this.....because they know the media and public are too dumb to understand the difference between Commercial Nuclear Power and Nuclear Weapons Production.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
On the plus side, 90% of the Hanford work force was sent home and production... or whatever they do... didn't change...
LOL... 

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
"On the plus side, 90% of the Hanford work force was sent home and production... or whatever they do... didn't change...
LOL... "

There is no "production" as in Plutonium production anymore.  All work there is for the purpose of cleaning up the facilities that were used to produce plutonium during the Manhattan Project and during the "cold war".  The PUREX facility where the tunnel collapsed is awaiting future remediation and no one is currently working there except for periodic surveillances.

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
Me thinks that may have been a missed moment of sarcasm...
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
Yeah, Barry was being realistic, as was I on the first post.

This is really non-news.

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Hanford Nuclear Reservation tunnel collapse triggers alert
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51 »
On the plus side, 90% of the Hanford work force was sent home and production... or whatever they do... didn't change...
LOL... 
You've never seen 9,000 people move so fast!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:58 »
Yeah, Barry was being realistic, as was I on the first post.

This is really non-news.

A breach in containment to highly radioactive material with an emergency action activation I think is news. It may not be a real hazard as we see it as there was no release or unplanned exposure. Once there was an emergency notification to the public it is news.

A meh for us, but to a suspicious public not so much as they are looking in from a keyhole and do not have trust in government or industry.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 10:57 »
I was talking more about nationally this is non-news.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 11:28 »
I was talking more about nationally this is non-news.

We will have to agree to disagree here I think the failure of a containment of highly radioactive material raises the question of management of hazardous material in the public's mind. An ongoing concern of the public.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 12:55 »
I guess it depends on your definition of "highly radioactive material". Its not like these rail cars are filled with Cesium and Strontium capsules. I guess my largest gripe is my friends and family back in NY texting me about what is going on with my Nuke Plant. Um, producing electricity like always.......

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49 »
I guess it depends on your definition of "highly radioactive material". Its not like these rail cars are filled with Cesium and Strontium capsules. I guess my largest gripe is my friends and family back in NY texting me about what is going on with my Nuke Plant. Um, producing electricity like always.......

It sounds like raffinate waste from plutonium extraction so having done some proposal  work to clean up similar waste I think highly contaminated (and high dose) is a very good description. I am guessing a bit but from the description in several articles I think I am close.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 05:19 »
Roof failure was at a one-of-a-kind Hanford tunnel system

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/hanford/article149617374.html

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 07:33 »
   A breach in containment to highly radioactive material with an emergency action activation I think is news. It may not be a real hazard as we see it as there was no release or unplanned exposure. Once there was an emergency notification to the public it is news.

A meh for us, but to a suspicious public not so much as they are looking in from a keyhole and do not have trust in government or industry.

does a tunnel constructed as a creosote log reinforced concrete wall with earthen cover count as containment?

:-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 07:57 »
does a tunnel constructed as a creosote log reinforced concrete wall with earthen cover count as containment?

:-\

It had an air tight door to the tunnel so I would say yes. An earthen berm around a tank to contain hazardous material in the event of a rupture is a containment. Just because it is not reinforced three foot thick concrete does not exclude it from being called a containment. This was built before 1960, remember that San Onofre unit one had a concrete containment as an after thought not part of it's original design and the Navy S1W prototype containment was a building designed to collapse on the prototype submarine hull inside (did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling as that was my prototype school).

[coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03 »
   It had an air tight door to the tunnel so I would say yes. An earthen berm around a tank to contain hazardous material in the event of a rupture is a containment. Just because it is not reinforced three foot thick concrete does not exclude it from being called a containment. This was built before 1960, remember that San Onofre unit one had a concrete containment as an after thought not part of it's original design and the Navy S1W prototype containment was a building designed to collapse on the prototype submarine hull inside (did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling as that was my prototype school).

[coffee]

okay, fifty years of use followed by failure only plays into the hands of those who demand the NRC does not consider certifying MPCs, and other ISFSI "containments" for longer than twenty years,...

as it is, the Tri Party agencies already had a commitment to assess the condition of waste disposal tunnels near the PUREX processing plant by September 2017, I reckon they have been assessed to be failures,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 10:35 »
okay, fifty years of use followed by failure only plays into the hands of those who demand the NRC does not consider certifying MPCs, and other ISFSI "containments" for longer than twenty years,...

as it is, the Tri Party agencies already had a commitment to assess the condition of waste disposal tunnels near the PUREX processing plant by September 2017, I reckon they have been assessed to be failures,....

OK, but it is still a containment.  ;)   [coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 04:18 »
OK, but it is still a containment.  ;)   [coffee]

imagine this conversation is about a Yugo,...

"OK, but it is still a car.",....

eeeeyup, you hold onto that old boy,....

:P ;) :) 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 08:18 »
imagine this conversation is about a Yugo,...

"OK, but it is still a car.",....

eeeeyup, you hold onto that old boy,....

:P ;) :) 8)

Yes, but the conversation is about whether of not it was a containment, and I repeat just because it is not reinforced three foot thick concrete does not exclude it from being called a containment. It was designed for and used to contain a hazard.

Imagine talking about cars and someone can only discuss Yugo's. 

Just sayin'  ;) [coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 09:06 »
   Yes, but the conversation is about whether of not it was a containment, and I repeat just because it is not reinforced three foot thick concrete does not exclude it from being called a containment. It was designed for and used to contain a hazard.

Imagine talking about cars and someone can only discuss Yugo's. 

Just sayin'  ;) [coffee]

containments contain,...

this:

is not contained, ergo, not a containment,...

just sayin'   ;) [coffee]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:07 by GLW »

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 09:27 »
containments contain,...

this:

But it was a containment, now it's a hole in the ground. Sort of like "That car was a Yugo, now its a lawn ornament."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 09:29 »
containments contain,...

this:

It's been fixed so the transient nature of it could be "Schrödinger's Containment" depending on what you see when you look at it.

Just sayin'  [42]

Chimera

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 01:58 »
containments contain,...

this:

Is this a picture of the collapsed tunnel or just grist for the containment mill?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 02:34 »
Is this a picture of the collapsed tunnel or just grist for the containment mill?

Follow the image address
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:34 by GLW »

Chimera

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 07:51 »

Follow the image address

I guess I deserved that for attempting to take the easy way out.  Nevertheless, thank you for the help.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?