Career Path > Nuclear Operator

Benefits of RO License?

<< < (2/2)

otherside:
I like being hands-on, and I don't like being locked in a control room for hours on end. I'm the active outdoorsy type, grew up on a farm, so being stationary for much time really gets to me. I left my last job as an electrical field inspector to come back to Ops because it became too much of a cubicle-dwelling, paper-shuffling gig instead of field work as I was promoted, and now I'm just in a bigger cubicle shuffling more papers. Maybe it's just this plant? In my previous experience as an AO nearly a decade ago at another plant, our ROs also helped out in the plant doing building rounds and surveillances if not assigned to the control room that day, but it isn't that way here - and that balance was a major factor in deciding to take this position. I'm currently exploring my options here to take another role, whether that be non-licensed operator or something else.

Red Gold:
I'm just confused as to why the heck you didn't go NLO rather than RO. It seems like you're an ideal fit for that kind of role.

ToadSuck:
Just in case you ever do let the money win out.....You need to keep your license for at least 18 months from the date on your license. It is the minimum required for other jobs in the ACAD.

otherside:

--- Quote from: Red Gold on May 17, 2017, 10:52 ---I'm just confused as to why the heck you didn't go NLO rather than RO. It seems like you're an ideal fit for that kind of role.

--- End quote ---

I did try to bid NLO back at the time of my original post, but it was blocked by my management.

But just to follow up, I do now have my license. I've been trying to make the best of things, but every day is a struggle. I don't really have any solid plans for an exit strategy, but I do have a few years worth of living expenses saved up at this point to fall back on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version