Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RCTQS

Author Topic: RCTQS  (Read 21729 times)

JsonD13

RCTQS
« on: Feb 05, 2005, 10:26 »
I'm about to go to RCTQS at NNSY.  Anyone know if this school gives me civilian certification or at least give me some college credits??

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: RCTQS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:11 »
Assuming this is the same class as RCMS at CNSY (yeah, it's been a few years ago!) it gives great civilian equivalent training. It wasn't ACT evaluated when I took it.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:52 »
RCMS?? Not quite sure if its the same thing.  The actual title is Rad Con Tech Qualification School.  It's up in Norfolk at NSY up there.  It's going to last about 4 months. I was just wondering if it (and my later experience as an ELT) would help me qualify as a RCT/HP.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:23 »
The short answer is yes.  RCT is RCT all over the place.  But you still have to take tests, and they get harder.  HP (or RP Tech as we are now called) is different.  Assuming you qualify as RCT, and put some time in on the job, you will find work as an RP.
The difference is that I'm referring to RCTas a DOE title, as opposed to commercial nuclear power.  Doe wants you to pass the RCT course to be a tech.  Commercial plants want you to have experience.  Most techs have both.
If you're planning to be an ELT, that will help... but not much.  Once you are an RCT with some experience, you don't gain much by being an ELT (which is primarily a chemistry job anyway).
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2005, 05:55 »
I was just wondering because I saw something here on the web that said that for experience for RCT, being an ELT will count year for year if I am going to be in a major overhaul period (i. e refuel), which I am. Thanks for the help.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:16 »
RCMS?? Not quite sure if its the same thing.  The actual title is Rad Con Tech Qualification School.  It's up in Norfolk at NSY up there.  It's going to last about 4 months. I was just wondering if it (and my later experience as an ELT) would help me qualify as a RCT/HP.
Yep, that's the same class with a new name at a different shipyard. (The Navy only taught it at one place when I was in, and that base closed, so I am not surprised it changed location.) They change the titles every 5 years so people can justify their existence by making procedure changes to reflect the new organization name. I had orders to Radiological Controls Maintenance Course and it was Radiological Controls Monitor Course before I finished! (The same thing happens in commercial power!)
You may find utilities that allow you to "double dip" and count both ELT and RADCON experience, but usually you max out and only really get credit for one. Check with base Navy Campus for college credit evaluation, and yes, you need to get a degree before you get out.
 :)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JsonD13

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:57 »
Check with base Navy Campus for college credit evaluation, and yes, you need to get a degree before you get out.
 :)
Oh I've already got one and working on my master's.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:10 »

Oh I've already got one and working on my master's.  Thanks for the info.
NRRPT requires 5 years experience, and it can be evaluated for Master's level credits!

rysics

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2005, 07:42 »
I returned to PSNS last May from RCTQS...if you have any questions let me know.

Rysics

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:03 »
Can you attend the RCTQS school if you're not in the Navy?

BuddyThePug

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:17 »
Can you attend the RCTQS school if you're not in the Navy?

HeavyD

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:09 »
If I recall correctly, Norfolk Naval Shipyard sends their new hire techs to this school. 

however, I will add in that I have been retired for over two years and I attended RCMS in 1996, right after they moved IMANPY from Charelston Naval Shipyard to Norfolk Naval Shipyard.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:33 »
we are posting on a thread that was dead for nine years before yesterday,...

it may still be somewhat relevant, but no one posting here in the last two days is,...

we are all OBE on this one, and the OP does not keep up with NW.com on a frequent basis under that username any longer,...

sometimes when the OP does not visit frequently the best way to get an update from the OP is with a PM and then wait and watch,...

but, then again, maybe something will rise out of the murky depths, if it (this thread) gets pushed to the top of the Nuclear Discussions board often enough,... :-\
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2014, 08:35 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?