Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My son messed up. Trying to help him recover. honeypot

Author Topic: My son messed up. Trying to help him recover.  (Read 5999 times)

Offline Chris T

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
My son messed up. Trying to help him recover.
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:17 »
My son is a nuke.  He screwed up and falsified a log during duty/watch.  He went through DRB, XOi, and Captain's Mast.  Looks like he'll be separated.  I'm working with him to ensure that he understands the process that he's about to go forward.  I know that some of you had advised others from previous posts, but I had some questions that were specific to his circumstance. 
1.  Will they pay to relocate him following discharge?
2.  What is the expected discharge type?
3.  What is his employ-ability in the field following discharge?
4.  Will there be any issues with his clearance, or will he have a clearance after all of this?

Thank you in advance.  I was an ET in my days, but much has changed since then.  I never went through anything like this.  I appreciate any wisdom you can provide and help me to provide to him.
Chris

Offline Hurrijay23

• Lurker
Re: My son messed up. Trying to help him recover.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:34 »
The answer to question number 1 is no. They will not pay for the relocation.
The answer to question number 2 is most likely "other than honorable".
The answer to question number 3 is very unlikely. It's unfortunate but former military with an "other than honorable" discharge are often unable to even be hired by McDonald's. The probability he will be hired within the Field is very low.
The answer to question number 4 is he will lose his security clearance with his discharge.

I realize this may be what you don't want to hear but this is the most likely scenario.

I also urge you to contact your son again.  If he has been through Captains Mast your son should have been told all of this before he was dismissed on the day of the Captains Mast.

I wish you the best of luck.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:00 »
I am sorry to agree, but I do. Your son screwed up bigger than he can imagine (although I suspect it is starting to sink in.) A significant part of the rest of his life may be spent regretting/apologizing for this. He violated the most important thing he had and that is trust. In an ideal world everyone would be given a second chance. I hope your son learns from this and gets his.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 05:14 »
#2 is more likely an admin sep, not OTH. I believe OTH can only be awarded by courts martial. It will still likely prevent him working in nuclear, as he will have to explain why he was kicked out.

Oh, and your son was a nuke, he's not anymore.

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25 »
The type of discharge is determined by BUPERS, not by a judge/jury/CO.  Recommendations can be made by those, but BUPERS makes the final determination.

As to relocation, I'm not so sure the answer given is correct, but I can't find the info right now.

As for post-service employment, anything that requires integrity will most likely not be an option for him for several years.

Best of luck, to both of you.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:14 »
I would think that ensuring his Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944 benefits are intact. During his UC stint, he should evaluate career paths open and education needed for them, find a school and enroll. There are opportunities available, but he most likely will need training for them.

Offline Chris T

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 10:47 »

I am hopeful that it is sinking in.  It's unfortunate that he made the choice he did.  The fact of the matter is that he did make the choice, and now lives with the consequences.  I appreciate your input, all of you.  Thank you.  I hope that he learns an important life lesson out of all of this.
Thanks
Chris

I am sorry to agree, but I do. Your son screwed up bigger than he can imagine (although I suspect it is starting to sink in.) A significant part of the rest of his life may be spent regretting/apologizing for this. He violated the most important thing he had and that is trust. In an ideal world everyone would be given a second chance. I hope your son learns from this and gets his.

Offline Vanity08

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:56 »
Could be worse: he could be dead or have been responsible for another person's death. Any one of us could die at any moment. Keep moving forward. What else is there to do?

Offline jonesin

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 02:16 »
Although I was discharged for something other than falsifying logs, I also received an administrative discharge under other than honorable conditions.  I left the Navy June of '92 and was working in the industry in July of '92.  Received my "L" clearance about a year after that.  I say all that to say, his life is not over and a career in the industry is not out of the question.  It likely will not be easy, but it is definitely not out of the question.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 05:33 »
2017-1992= 25 years.  Things change.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:43 »
I am aware of an individual that received a BCD (popped a whiz quiz) and is now an member of the Operating Engineers working on boats in the civilian world, not nukes, but still boats. His BCD was way back in the late 90's and worked a number of jobs prior to joining the OE's.

I also know an individual that received an General Under Honorable Conditions for extremely low pro's and con's (due to popping a whiz quiz and spending 60 days in the Brig) also from the late 90's. Now working in the civilian nuclear sector, also after working other construction jobs for a few years prior to applying for access.

Time heals most wounds, so I would say your son's future may not be as bleak as it may seem. Get him focused on recovering from this mistake, it can be done. The key is to demonstrate a period of time after the event where he has worked hard to recover and prove his worth without other significant errors of judgement.

Good luck to the both of you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?