Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Value of EWS post-Navy honeypot

Author Topic: The Value of EWS post-Navy  (Read 7711 times)

Offline alexw0122

• Lurker
The Value of EWS post-Navy
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:12 »

Firstly, I acknowledge and apologize for asking for non-nuke advice, but this is, to my knowledge, the largest collection of Navy Nuclear veterans. It's their opinions that I seek in particular.

As of this morning, I am qualified senior-in-rate. Woo! My boat's about to go through a painful time where most of our EWS types are rotating out. There's talk of the impending qual wave to create their replacements. I have not, and do not plan to reenlist, but I'm curious about what you veterans think the value of EWS quals are to civilian NON-nuclear employers. Should I ride the wave??

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: The Value of EWS post-Navy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 04:56 »
I'm in the nuclear field, but I imagine you could use it to show small group management ability. You are, after all, leading 5-10 people from different divisions, to operate a nuclear plant during transient conditions to complete the mission of your command.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 07:20 »
If you are interested in commercial nuclear power, qualifying EWS/PPWS and standing the watch for 2 years makes you eligible for Direct SRO (Senior Reactor Operator).

This means that instead of hiring in as a non-licensed operator and spending a couple of years working to get into a license class, a utility can hire you and put your directly into a license class.

That path is an adventure in and of itself, as many of the guys and gals on this forum will surely attest to.

As for non-nuke, leadership and the ability to manage a team of peers.  you need to be able to explain the watch in those terms, however, for it to be of use.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:40 »
If your EDMC, Eng, and CO can't sniff out your attitude toward EWS quals, they are failing as leaders.

Offline Alex512

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2017, 07:54 »
I have a similar question I am a navy Ro and I've been trying to qualify Ews on my boat. Almost there but my time on my boat is almost up. How much value is placed on EWS on civilian side? I am at six years and will be going to shore duty soon. I will have a BS Nuclear engineering technology degree from excelsior college abit accredited. If I get out with no ews does that limit my job options? What's a good expectation for field of work and salary?

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2017, 09:25 »
None

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09:34 »
I have a similar question I am a navy Ro and I've been trying to qualify Ews on my boat. Almost there but my time on my boat is almost up. How much value is placed on EWS on civilian side? I am at six years and will be going to shore duty soon. I will have a BS Nuclear engineering technology degree from excelsior college abit accredited. If I get out with no ews does that limit my job options? What's a good expectation for field of work and salary?

1. Not much if you don't plan to be in a field with a bunch of ex-nukes.

2. Opportunities are commensurate with effort, communication, research, etc.

3. Probably $50-80k as a field service tech.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017, 10:02 by a|F »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09:35 »
First, make sure you keep copies of your evals and pg 4, just in case you decide to go into commercial nuclear as being qualified (and having stood) RO for 2 years meets the requirements for direct SRO, although I don't know how many sites accept that. Outside of nuclear, the quals themselves are pretty meaningless unless there's a direct correlation to the job you're applying for. Your maintenance/I&C experience will help if you want to go that route, QA quals may help if you want to get into quality control, etc. In either case, I recommend looking at cool.navy.mil to see what certifications the navy will pay for and get those, as they will probably be a bigger help and translate much easier.
As far as field of work, what do you want to do? I've personally known nukes who've gotten out and done anything from insurance sales to med school and law school, so you can pretty much do anything you're interested in, if you're willing to put forth the effort to advance your skillset to match the job.

Offline Alex512

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:10 »
So what I found in the NRC requirement for direct input sro you need ews or eoow or be qualified Ro. So EWS is only needed for that aside from that if I don't go into nuclear power it really does not matter

TVA

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:05 »
Again no value. I wouldnt choose you based on that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?