Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Why nuclear power subsidies must end honeypot

Author Topic: Why nuclear power subsidies must end  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: Why nuclear power subsidies must end
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:01 »
Subsidies for Renewables = Helping non-dense, unreliable, intermediate power sources that do nothing but increase the consumption of natural gas because they are "clean" and don't involve scary radiation. Somehow these subsidies don't fall on the tax/rate payers. The Government pays them out of their own pocket......

Subsidies for Nuclear = Bail out. Ratepayers will be forced to get a 2nd job just to pay for their electric.

Overall, a terrible article and the author should be forced to wear a dunce hat
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:20 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:35 »
between the Wisconsin Dells and Madison on I-94 there has been a massive windfarm installation spanning approximately 50 miles, oft times on both sides of the I-94 corridor, as a setpiece example of wind power,....

ostensibly, wind power saves trees,....

except the trees which have to be cutdown to make way for the windfarm,....

50 miles of trees, a swath 200 feet wide,....

stacked as cordwood every 100 yards or so, each stack roughly equal to 1,250 cords of firewood,...

17 stacks per mile, 1,250 cords per stack, 21,250 cords of trees cut down to build a tree saving wind farm,....

but,......

I'm not done,....

to build the windfarms the construction crews need corduroy access roads so that the construction vehicles do not get bogged down in mud or snow or sand,...

those access roads are built not with the the trees felled and stacked as cordwood,....

those newly dead trees are not uniform or strong enough for the heavy duty needs,....

so, the wood ties are trucked in from a place where large, symmetrical, strong, living trees can be cut down and milled into ties of uniform size and strength ties to build a corduroy access road,...

a road which runs in ten mile lengths with two or three mile breaks along the way,...

a road twenty feet wide, 1.5 feet high,....

another 32,500 cords of trees sacrificed to save trees,...

from a windfarm which, after continuous construction efforts for better than a year, has yet to get one windmill spinning,...

and yet, has quickly and efficiently killed  53,750 cords worth of living trees,...

your subsidy dollars at work,...

putting power on the grid and saving trees,....

well, at least good intentions to put power on the grid and save trees,...

some day, somewhere, in some alternate reality,.....

:-\
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:42 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:29 »
Id like to see the comparison between the CO2 eating trees being slaughtered and the CO2 savings via wind turbines for your above post.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:55 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51 »
Id like to see the comparison between the CO2 eating trees being slaughtered and the CO2 savings via wind turbines for your above post.

Not meaning to tease a PolySci response but the rise in CO2 has spurred a greening of the Earth as seen by satellites. How much of the buffering effect of the forests is lost is not known but greenhouses world wide add CO2 to them to enhance growth so deforestation has an effect in buffering the balance. I hate subdivisions because most clear cut and scrape off the top soil and then replace with new diminished vegetation and top soil scraped off of another track of land in rebuilding but where is the outrage there (or is it just me). Many of our environmentalists focus on what is popular not what is true. Don't get me wrong I am an all of the above kind of guy but ideological thought that draws lines based on which side of a theoretical argument belong in a moot court not real life.

:old:

OK, I feel much better now.  ;)

[coffee]

Chimera

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 02:53 »
The rise in CO2?  What has it risen?  From .042% to.044%?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44 »
The rise in CO2?  What has it risen?  From .042% to.044%?

That is almost a 5% rise what is significant to your daisy's and roses.  ;D

I might add that the rise from 1900 to today is .028% to .042% that is almost double.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 09:32 »
probly wood knot have that much of a rise iffen the rain forests hadn't bin clear out, oar north America had knot bin cleared for agriculture. wind farm clearance has minimal affect on co2. itt has a much grater influence awn the scenery.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 07:40 »
"The rise in CO2?  What has it risen?  From .042% to.044%?"
During what time frame? CO2 concentrations have risen from ~280 ppm in the early 1800s to ~400 ppm today (~43% increase). The current increase is over 1 ppm/year (0.25%). The human population was 1 billion in 1850 and is 7.5 billion today. It is increasing by over 1%/year. These people need heat, electricity, drive cars, flatulate, defecate, and defoliate. The earth has always been able to regulate itself. When CO2 went up, plant life increased, CO2 went down. The earth will eventually re balance at a different level. Temperature is the measurement of the amount of specific internal energy stored in matter. Multiply that by the quantity of matter in the atmosphere and water, and you'll see that that energy will cause more violent weather patterns, more destruction. The earth will be a much different place within the next several decades, but I won't be here to see it. The bottom line is that you are gonna die. When and how, I don't know.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55 »
"The rise in CO2?  What has it risen?  From .042% to.044%?"
During what time frame? CO2 concentrations have risen from ~280 ppm in the early 1800s to ~400 ppm today (~43% increase). The current increase is over 1 ppm/year (0.25%). The human population was 1 billion in 1850 and is 7.5 billion today. It is increasing by over 1%/year. These people need heat, electricity, drive cars, flatulate, defecate, and defoliate. The earth has always been able to regulate itself. When CO2 went up, plant life increased, CO2 went down. The earth will eventually re balance at a different level. Temperature is the measurement of the amount of specific internal energy stored in matter. Multiply that by the quantity of matter in the atmosphere and water, and you'll see that that energy will cause more violent weather patterns, more destruction. The earth will be a much different place within the next several decades, but I won't be here to see it. The bottom line is that you are gonna die. When and how, I don't know.

Temperature and C02 increase are not increasing in lock step CO2 is increasing much faster than temperature. The largest green house gas is water vapor. Some scientists are predicting a mini ice age in the near future due to solar cycles. Computer models used are too complex for the computers we use today and subject to wildy different results due to assumed forcing factors inputted by scientists. The computer models used to predict warming climate change are all much higher than the temperature increase measured by satellite. The "hockey stick" prediction has to be inverted to show a flatline of no temperature increase over the last two decades. Some past reconstructions of CO2 and temperature show CO2 following temperature not leading it. There are many more Polar Bears today than in 1975. There are fewer major storms not more as predicted. The average rise in ocean level is no more than it was before the industrial age some places it rises and lowers due to the flexibility of the earths crust, erosion, and depletion of the water tables. The Earth has been warming since the "Mini Ice age" before the industrial revolution that is blamed for it. And on, and on, and on, so some of us are deniers skeptics.

:old: [coffee]

Chimera

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 11:47 »
That is almost a 5% rise what is significant to your daisy's and roses.  ;D

I might add that the rise from 1900 to today is .028% to .042% that is almost double.

So . . . it's doubled (almost) from insignificant to nearly insignificant.  2 one-hundredths of one percent is statistically insignificant.  Increasing or decreasing the oxygen content of the atmosphere by that much wouldn't even be noticed.  CO2 concentration does not follow temperature - either up or down - and, when compared to other "green-house gasses", such as water vapor, its effect is insignificant.  And, yeah, I've heard "Dr. Sky" mention that it's not the sun that was causing global warming in the past . . . except that doesn't explain the rise in temperatures on Venus, Mars, Jupiter and the other planets.  Oh yeah, Dr. Sky says that the sun has entered a dormant period.  Well, guess what - so has "global warming" for the past couple of decades or so.

I think I'll hop in my SUV and drive over to the neighbor's farm and induce attacks of flatulence in his dairy herd just to watch your head explode.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 12:09 »
   Temperature and C02 increase are not increasing in lock step CO2 is increasing much faster than temperature. The largest green house gas is water vapor. Some scientists are predicting a mini ice age in the near future due to solar cycles. Computer models used are too complex for the computers we use today and subject to wildy different results due to assumed forcing factors inputted by scientists. The computer models used to predict warming climate change are all much higher than the temperature increase measured by satellite. The "hockey stick" prediction has to be inverted to show a flatline of no temperature increase over the last two decades. Some past reconstructions of CO2 and temperature show CO2 following temperature not leading it. There are many more Polar Bears today than in 1975. There are fewer major storms not more as predicted. The average rise in ocean level is no more than it was before the industrial age some places it rises and lowers due to the flexibility of the earths crust, erosion, and depletion of the water tables. The Earth has been warming since the "Mini Ice age" before the industrial revolution that is blamed for it. And on, and on, and on, so some of us are deniers skeptics.

:old: [coffee]

There is still 7 times as much flatulence.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:24 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:27 »

There is still 7 times as much flatulence.

Cow Burps, Not Farts, Are the Real Problem

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/digestive/burps-not-farts.htm

Sorry but the Global Warming Climate Change Climate Weirding is a bone I have been chewing on for over 20 years. ::)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 12:33 »
Cow Burps, Not Farts, Are the Real Problem

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/digestive/burps-not-farts.htm

Sorry but the Global Warming Climate Change Climate Weirding is a bone I have been chewing on for over 20 years. ::)

All of that aside fossil fuels have other pollutants other than CO2 to consider and are a little like defecating in our own nest. Nuclear has a strong future in a clean power provided it can evolve to meet the new realities of the grid and waste management. I am in favor of the National labs having fuel reprocessing plants with a traveling wave reactor to further burn waste fuel to a much more manageable waste form.

[2cents]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31 »
between the Wisconsin Dells and Madison on I-94 there has been a massive windfarm installation spanning approximately 50 miles, oft times on both sides of the I-94 corridor, as a setpiece example of wind power,....

ostensibly, wind power saves trees,....

except the trees which have to be cutdown to make way for the windfarm,....

50 miles of trees, a swath 200 feet wide,....

stacked as cordwood every 100 yards or so, each stack roughly equal to 1,250 cords of firewood,...

17 stacks per mile, 1,250 cords per stack, 21,250 cords of trees cut down to build a tree saving wind farm,....

but,......

I'm not done,....

to build the windfarms the construction crews need corduroy access roads so that the construction vehicles do not get bogged down in mud or snow or sand,...

those access roads are built not with the the trees felled and stacked as cordwood,....

those newly dead trees are not uniform or strong enough for the heavy duty needs,....

so, the wood ties are trucked in from a place where large, symmetrical, strong, living trees can be cut down and milled into ties of uniform size and strength ties to build a corduroy access road,...

a road which runs in ten mile lengths with two or three mile breaks along the way,...

a road twenty feet wide, 1.5 feet high,....

another 32,500 cords of trees sacrificed to save trees,...

from a windfarm which, after continuous construction efforts for better than a year, has yet to get one windmill spinning,...

and yet, has quickly and efficiently killed  53,750 cords worth of living trees,...

your subsidy dollars at work,...

putting power on the grid and saving trees,....

well, at least good intentions to put power on the grid and save trees,...

some day, somewhere, in some alternate reality,.....

:-\

https://www.cfact.org/2013/11/02/u-k-takes-down-infographic-showing-footprint-of-nuclear-vs-renewables/

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?