Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke school, marriage, and housing questions honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke school, marriage, and housing questions  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Ajkeyo

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Nuke school, marriage, and housing questions
« on: May 25, 2017, 01:19 »
I recently got accepted into the nuclear program and am currently waiting for my security clearance before I ship out. I've been doing some research into all the benefits of being a veteran and how to take full advantage of them. One such benefit that my inquiry revolves around is the VA home loan. Following boot camp, I believe I start A school in Charleston, SC and am wondering if I can use my VA home loan to purchase an off base duplex in order to live in and rent out the other half while going to A school, power school and prototype. Is this possible? And if so, what are the limitations/requirements? Also if I am getting married prior to going to boot camp what will our housing situation be like following boot camp. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully providing some insight into my situation!

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
Re: Nuke school, marriage, and housing questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44 »
Unless the rules have changed you need six months of active duty service before you qualify for the home loan benefit. You still must qualify financially for the amount you want to borrow.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:40 »
If you are married before boot camp you will be eligible for on-base, and possibly off-base housing while in A School and Power School. I doubt you will be able to purchase a house there, unless you're also in SC for prototype and get staff pick up. Not only is there the wait time to be eligible for VA loans, you don't make a lot of money as an E-4, and the paperwork alone can take a couple months. I'd wait to buy until you're at your first duty station, then look at second house when you go to shore duty. Oh, a fairly recent change to VA loans, you can now have 2 VA loans (maybe more) as long as the total amount isn't over about $425k-450k (I can't remember the exact number).

Offline Ajkeyo

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2017, 11:11 »
Thank you for the replies any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?