Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Anti-terrorism Unit on ship?

Author Topic: Anti-terrorism Unit on ship?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Scarecrow578

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Anti-terrorism Unit on ship?
« on: Jun 07, 2017, 12:21 »
My recruiter told me that there is an anti-terrorism unit on each ship that sailors can volunteer for. Could I volunteer for that even though I am a nuke? I have noticed that we seem to be excluded from a great many things. I wanted to be in SpecWar originally, as any of those ratings, I enjoy thrills and shooting or disarming bombs seemed extremely appealing to me. However, I could not currently pass the physical requirements for the challenge program at the moment and I wanted to get into the Navy now. Also, the nuke program seemed more in line with my career and more financially sensible. So I was hoping that being able to join the anti-terrorism unit on whatever ship I would be assigned to would help bridge the gap between the sensible and stable job and my want for something with a little more action.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Anti-terrorism Unit on ship?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07:14 »
No
The needs of the Navy, and the cost of your training pretty much preclude nukes from doing much outside of that - occasionally diver / welder for MM, but anti terrorist?? No.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:00 »
No
The needs of the Navy, and the cost of your training pretty much preclude nukes from doing much outside of that - occasionally diver / welder for MM, but anti terrorist?? No.

If chlorides could be considered to be waterborne terrorists,....

Then ELT is the ticket for:

..........and my want for something with a little more action.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Physics1

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:25 »
I have been out of the Navy for 5 years now, but I think you are referring to Visit, Board, Search and Seizure (VBSS) teams. They are used to board suspect vessels to inspect their papers and check for contraband, which can be used to fund or supply terrorism. Unfortunately, these teams are normally only used on surface combatants (LCS, frigates, destroyers and cruisers), not nuclear-powered submarines or aircraft carriers. The other possibility is Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection (AT/FP) teams, which can be manned in foreign waters/ports to enhance ship security. Because nukes still have watches to man even when in port, they are typically not used for these positions.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2017, 05:47 »
The boat has requirements for a min number of personnel to attend SRF-B school, which is a 1-week course. You learn to respond to attacks against a ship. In practice, you'll do a monthly anti-terrorism drill and if you are on duty you'll grab an unloaded firearm and walk around with it pointed at the air next to your ear, making sure you are with at least one other person at all times.

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2017, 10:21 »
You have two posts, one you want to be a diver the other you want to be an anti-terror bomb diffuser. Maybe forget nukes and apply to be a seal or join the army or marines and try to get into bomb disposal.
But a Nuke/Diver/ ordinance disposal, not likely, we have no Buckaroo Bonzai units 

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2017, 11:11 »
You have two posts, one you want to be a diver the other you want to be an anti-terror bomb diffuser. Maybe forget nukes and apply to be a seal or join the army or marines and try to get into bomb disposal.
But a Nuke/Diver/ ordinance disposal, not likely, we have no Buckaroo Bonzai units 

+K  Buckaroo Bonzai

-K  Don't be mean

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?