Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Submarine Officer retiring after 22 years..thoughts on going NLO?  

Author Topic: Submarine Officer retiring after 22 years..thoughts on going NLO?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline bbksv

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
So I am going to be retiring in May of next year and looking at terminal in March timeframe. I am looking at all my options and have for a long time thought about going direct SRO/ILT route but have several friends that are SRO's at different plants who have convinced me that going NLO/Equipment operator might be better. I was a prior ETC before going Officer so I have no problem with the hands on stuff as I actually miss that. Now my question is really if any of you have gotten out and gone NLO even though you could probably get into an SRO job? Thoughts?

I know from all my research that there are benefits of union vs non-union/management and also the ability to actually make more as an NLO with all the overtime. I also like the fact that I can actually learn the plant before going the management route.

I have other opportunities in technical management that I would hate to pass up if I would want to slit my wrists being an NLO...although I don't think that will be the case. I enjoy the nuclear world having even volunteered to be a shift engineer at prototype (which I really enjoyed)

Thanks in advance!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
I know at some plants the union ROs make more than the non-union SROs due to OT and actually getting paid for hours worked.  Some plants SROs are all management.  Some not.  Sucks being salary with a mediocre bonus only getting straight time over 45 (40 to 45 are unpaid...gotta love professional time) watching the ROs rack it up on OT.  Depends on the plant.  So it depends on where you work.  I think being an NLO would limit your $$$ in almost every case but quality of life (what is an extra 30 grand a year worth to you?) is a whole different ball game.  But I don't know how things are at every plant.

Going NLO first would give you the opportunity to sit back for a while and see whether you want to actually be anSRO at the specific plant you are hired at.  Or RO.  I've heard of it happening but you don't usually get to go back down the chain.

Plus 2 years as an NLO would probably make lic. class significantly easier depending on what you do with your time as an NLO.

Offline fourteener

• Light User
I think you are very much underrating yourself.  You don't need to be any kind of operator and with your qualifications you should soot for something higher.  Any utility would appreciate the talent you bring, as would the US DOE.  Shoot higher.

Offline bbksv

• Light User
I think you are very much underrating yourself.  You don't need to be any kind of operator and with your qualifications you should soot for something higher.  Any utility would appreciate the talent you bring, as would the US DOE.  Shoot higher.

Any specific recommendations? I am pretty open to ideas and locations...

I know I have opportunities for to apply for an instant/ILT position but I also don't want to lock myself in to management if I don't have to. I know sometime I would want to move up just because I am used to being in a position of leadership but I have no problem climbing the ladder if that would be better in the long run.

I will admit a part of it comes down to money too because I have several opportunities in the Lockheed Martin/BAE/GD areas in the range of $85k (with the good weather bonus) and room for growth...non shift work..etc. But I also don't want to take too big of a pay cut as even with $45k retirement I need over 100k to match where I am now.

I already come in to it with pretty much no bills so I will be ok with whatever option I go but getting some good overtime for a few years would be pretty nice. I could actually be completely retired in just a few years if I wanted to.....but then I would probably slit my wrists

Ideally I would LOVE to work in a more southern plant (tennessee or south) but from what I have seen most of those plants don't hire direct SRO so I was thinking going NLO might open up other opportunities at plants I might otherwise not be able to get in to. The big drawback I see from that is it seems more southern plants put me back in that less that $85k range.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
You also have to remember the pay you may see posted is without shift differential and/or N rate. Plus I believe most plants have outage pay. When you see a base of $80k, with OT, N rate and outage pay you should make at least $130k+. Referring to NLO's.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2017, 04:56 by ddickey »

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
Will a new SRO who was an NLO for 4 years be a better SRO than an new direct SRO?  Most definitely.  Will a new SRO who was an NLO for 4 years be a better SRO than a someone who has been an SRO for 4 years?  .... Maybe, but probably not.  I recently got out of the Navy after doing 5 and out as an officer and am going direct SRO.  I considered an NLO job, but if you plan on working your way up why start lower than you have to?  If you go NLO->RO->SRO, you're going to be on shift for a long time and start off making less.  If you go directly into SRO you can get your experience on shift and move to day shift positions that much sooner if you so choose.  The only reasons I see going for an NLO job is if you would rather be an NLO/RO than an SRO or really want to get into civilian nuclear and absolutely cannot find an SRO position in a suitable location/timeframe. 

Careerwise, I think you're better off going direct SRO.  If NLO is what you want to do or the only thing available where you want to live, then that might suit you better.  In the end you're probably going to be just fine either way.

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
Okay, I have to address this:

Shoot "higher"? I'm not sure what plant or plants you have worked at but everywhere I've known the Operations department is respected (even if frequently complained about!). When it comes down to it, they are the ones with their hands on the controls.

I have known multiple former Navy officers come to their plants' Ops department, whether as direct SROs or NLOs, and have success, whether that means going on to get a license, progressing in a different department or plant... or simply remaining in the role they initially worked in. A lot of folks consider the work of a non-licensed field operator in particular to be the best "money vs stress" ratio of any job in nuclear power. There's a lot to be said for not having any direct reports in this game! Besides, bbksv had stated they missed the hands-on stuff, and being an NLO offers a heck of a lot more opportunity for that vs. becoming, say, a system engineer.

And this isn't even getting into the fact that "any kind of operator" includes folks with licenses - you know, the folks who wind up in senior leadership positions in nuclear power? I find it surprising that someone could imply that becoming an SRO was somehow beneath the station of a retired USN Officer, particularly as their first foray into the industry.

bbksv - I think you're pretty much going about this the right way. hamsamich and the others gave some good advice, too. Bear in mind that the hiring picture changes year-on-year; some plants only hire Ops on a two-year cycle, some even less frequently than that. The best thing is to start applying as you approach retirement, using this board and other sources for the 'gouge' on specific plants or employers. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2017, 05:15 by Red Gold »

Offline bbksv

• Light User
Red Gold...absolutely get what you are saying. The good thing is when it comes down to it I am pretty flexible as to where I go to get my foot in the door atleast.

This may sound silly but one of my highest priorities is to be near a lake so I can go boating more  :)

Anyone know of any plants looking to hire in the March-May time frame next year?

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
It might be a little bit early out to actually find interviews for March to May next year, but look for opportunities that you want now and begin applying for them.  Go to company websites for First Energy, Exelon, etc. and begin applying for jobs you're interested in right now.  The applications usually will have you put in when you'll be available.  The goal is to get in touch with their recruiters, who should know what jobs are opening up and when.  ILT classes happen on a pretty regular schedule (about every two years) so they should be able to tell you which plants will be hiring around the time you get out.  Some companies may take quite awhile with their recruiting process so it doesn't hurt to start now.  I would also recommend also applying for jobs at plants that might be outside of where you want to live.  You don't want to be left in the cold in case you don't get your first choices, and it helps from a negotiating standpoint if you get multiple offers.  I also got my job by being cold contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, so make sure you have an account.  You never know where the opportunity might come from.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
A quick way to see when ILO classes will be coming up: Look at the NRC GFES exam schedule. Since class up dates are based on that exam, you will need to be on site 9 months (6 months for the on site requirement, 3 months of class) prior. That doesn't help with which sites hire when, but it gives you an idea. As far as NLO goes, that's a little fuzzier, they're typically hired when the site needs a group.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
Remember, there are (were) some plants out there where the ROs make slightly more than the SROs because of OT, actual paid work hours, special union pays like travel time and paid meals, and mediocre SRO bonuses/free professional time.  And the ROs were working about the same amount of OT on average at these plants.  There were 2 of them like that, but that was before 2009 so maybe things are different.  The SROs were not enjoying themselves and the ROs were quite smug about it.   These were union plants.  It is hard to find out the reality unless you talk to a few people that actually work at the plants.  If you want to climb the ladder, be able to move easily to different day shift positions and be more marketable if you decide to quit, than SRO is the way to go over RO.  You will probably make more $$$ too, but that isn't guaranteed.

Offline bbksv

• Light User
Thanks for all the info guys. Kind of what I was expecting but had to ask the question. I am sure none of them are bad options especially since I am in a position where I really don't even HAVE to work. That also gives me the flexibility to even just grab my RV and travel the country until the timing somewhere lines up. Either way I am looking forward to my next adventure.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
Wow since you have an RV maybe you should grab your SRO and do whatever you want 2 years later!  Good Luck.

Offline bbksv

• Light User
Yeah..I actually can't wait to just RV full time. Only problem is I can't drag my boat along with me. First world problems...haha.

Offline bbksv

• Light User
That would be nice for sure..but my rig would be ginormous. I have a 28ft cabin cruiser and a 40 ft 5th wheel camper.

Offline bbksv

• Light User
sounds like we have a contractor in the making here....try this

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/triple_towing/

Contractor huh?  Are there actually guys that go from plant to plant?  That would be pretty sweet with the RV

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Contractor huh?  Are there actually guys that go from plant to plant?  That would be pretty sweet with the RV
Instructors and outage workers, definitely. I'm not sure who else might use contractors like that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?