Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Submarine Officer retiring after 22 years..thoughts on going NLO?

(1/4) > >>

bbksv:
So I am going to be retiring in May of next year and looking at terminal in March timeframe. I am looking at all my options and have for a long time thought about going direct SRO/ILT route but have several friends that are SRO's at different plants who have convinced me that going NLO/Equipment operator might be better. I was a prior ETC before going Officer so I have no problem with the hands on stuff as I actually miss that. Now my question is really if any of you have gotten out and gone NLO even though you could probably get into an SRO job? Thoughts?

I know from all my research that there are benefits of union vs non-union/management and also the ability to actually make more as an NLO with all the overtime. I also like the fact that I can actually learn the plant before going the management route.

I have other opportunities in technical management that I would hate to pass up if I would want to slit my wrists being an NLO...although I don't think that will be the case. I enjoy the nuclear world having even volunteered to be a shift engineer at prototype (which I really enjoyed)

Thanks in advance!

hamsamich:
I know at some plants the union ROs make more than the non-union SROs due to OT and actually getting paid for hours worked.  Some plants SROs are all management.  Some not.  Sucks being salary with a mediocre bonus only getting straight time over 45 (40 to 45 are unpaid...gotta love professional time) watching the ROs rack it up on OT.  Depends on the plant.  So it depends on where you work.  I think being an NLO would limit your $$$ in almost every case but quality of life (what is an extra 30 grand a year worth to you?) is a whole different ball game.  But I don't know how things are at every plant.

Going NLO first would give you the opportunity to sit back for a while and see whether you want to actually be anSRO at the specific plant you are hired at.  Or RO.  I've heard of it happening but you don't usually get to go back down the chain.

Plus 2 years as an NLO would probably make lic. class significantly easier depending on what you do with your time as an NLO.

fourteener:
I think you are very much underrating yourself.  You don't need to be any kind of operator and with your qualifications you should soot for something higher.  Any utility would appreciate the talent you bring, as would the US DOE.  Shoot higher.

bbksv:

--- Quote from: fourteener on Jun 19, 2017, 03:55 ---I think you are very much underrating yourself.  You don't need to be any kind of operator and with your qualifications you should soot for something higher.  Any utility would appreciate the talent you bring, as would the US DOE.  Shoot higher.

--- End quote ---

Any specific recommendations? I am pretty open to ideas and locations...

I know I have opportunities for to apply for an instant/ILT position but I also don't want to lock myself in to management if I don't have to. I know sometime I would want to move up just because I am used to being in a position of leadership but I have no problem climbing the ladder if that would be better in the long run.

I will admit a part of it comes down to money too because I have several opportunities in the Lockheed Martin/BAE/GD areas in the range of $85k (with the good weather bonus) and room for growth...non shift work..etc. But I also don't want to take too big of a pay cut as even with $45k retirement I need over 100k to match where I am now.

I already come in to it with pretty much no bills so I will be ok with whatever option I go but getting some good overtime for a few years would be pretty nice. I could actually be completely retired in just a few years if I wanted to.....but then I would probably slit my wrists

Ideally I would LOVE to work in a more southern plant (tennessee or south) but from what I have seen most of those plants don't hire direct SRO so I was thinking going NLO might open up other opportunities at plants I might otherwise not be able to get in to. The big drawback I see from that is it seems more southern plants put me back in that less that $85k range.

ddickey:
You also have to remember the pay you may see posted is without shift differential and/or N rate. Plus I believe most plants have outage pay. When you see a base of $80k, with OT, N rate and outage pay you should make at least $130k+. Referring to NLO's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version