Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A future in Health Physics? honeypot

Author Topic: A future in Health Physics?  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Pem-Tech

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
A future in Health Physics?
« on: Jun 23, 2017, 02:50 »
Okay, I am the new guy on the block. Just joined the forum today and this is my story.
After working in air quality for the State for five years the Health Physics field stumbled over me about 10 years ago. Had never heard of Health Physics or the wonderful world of radiation protection up until then. My BS is in chemistry, but somehow I ended up working as an HP for the State Department of Health, Radiation control for seven years. We did it all; inspections, enforcement, licensing, emergency response, emergency response training with Arkansas Nuclear One in Russellville AR, investigations, allegations, source recovery, instrument calibration and on and on. Completed almost every NRC course available.

However, at the time I was miserable. The program manager made my life a living hell for those seven years. As such, we parted ways such that I am ineligible for rehire. So no re-applying when the loathsome *&#%@! finally retires or dies.
Afterwards I worked in a factory QC lab for the longest 8 months of my life and ended up back at the State in water quality.
Now I miss radiation control SO BAD, I had so much fun and would have enjoyed my job if not for the above mentioned manager. lSeven years of experience is to too much to waste and I want back in the field.

What job descriptions should I look for? What online degrees would help me secure another career in Health Physics? Are there certification programs that would help? (To my understanding a CHP is out of reach at this point)

In short, can you help a brother out?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2017, 02:54 by Pem-Tech »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: A future in Health Physics?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2017, 02:56 »
Why would CHP be out of reach?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2017, 10:46 »
7 years as a health physics guy (HP) is all you need to get alot of jobs.  If you want a feather in your cap, get a degree in health physics, or take the short road and get NRRPT.  Or study up hard and go for the CHP, takes longer but you have 2 big stepping stones out of the way.  Experience and a Chemistry degree are 2 biggees.  Google CHP and you will come up with the requirements in a jiffy.

Offline Pem-Tech

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2017, 12:01 »
Thanks! Right now I'm studying for the EEI Technician exam for a position at Arkansas Nuc One or I would do more research.
Thanks for the positive info.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2017, 12:04 »
7 years as a health physics guy (HP) is all you need to get alot of jobs.  If you want a feather in your cap, get a degree in health physics, or take the short road and get NRRPT.  Or study up hard and go for the CHP, takes longer but you have 2 big stepping stones out of the way.  Experience and a Chemistry degree are 2 biggees.  Google CHP and you will come up with the requirements in a jiffy.
I would doubt that your experience would count toward ansi 3.1 time, maybe 6 months of it would... sort of like a lot of DOE time does not transfer... each utility has procedures that tell them what they can and cannot accept.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2017, 12:54 »
iffen yins want two sea if yore 3.1, 18.1 qualed, try a.n.1. sounds like yew mite bee able to contact an acquaintance in the training oar h.p. department.  ya could try the contractor for that sight, they'll tell you after they take a vue of you're resume.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2017, 01:28 »
Depends on what contractor and what end user is willing to buy off on.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:50 »
a greed. butt, ya gotta start sum ware.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?