Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu As a foreigner, does MS Nuclear Engineering limit job prospects for me? honeypot

Author Topic: As a foreigner, does MS Nuclear Engineering limit job prospects for me?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline random_soldier1337

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I've mentioned my admission to MS Nuclear Engineering in the University of Florida earlier.

Thing is I am a foreigner. What with all the security most countries have surrounding nuclear technology, would I be limiting myself in the number of parties I can work with? I am aware I have other career options but I am asking strictly about options in engineering.

I did speak of taking instrumentation and control specialization possibly, earlier, which from the general definition of it would seem to open up more fields than nuclear. But then again, my degree would say I did an MS in Nuclear Engineering and not something like mechanical or electrical.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 04:41 by random_soldier1337 »

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
Not being a US Citizen would stop you getting a Department of Energy 'Q' clearance, if you wanted to go work for the DoE. This is mainly a problem if you want to do certain more advanced work for which the clearance is necessary.

In commercial power, you wouldn't be limited by being a foreign national (the technology in commercial power reactors isn't exactly new, after all) but you potentially would be limited by getting the necessary work permit(s). That's the major sticking point for folks from other countries wanting to work here. I don't know how likely nuclear power employers are to sponsor visas etc, but my gut is telling me 'not very likely,' especially with the oversupply of experienced US staff from closing-down plants etc.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 12:55 by Red Gold »

Offline random_soldier1337

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Any idea on the international scale?

I'd probably go back to India after doing the full course of my studies if things are bad for me but the way things work there with nepotism, money mishandling, corruption, etc., I don't know if chances would be better. Or even if chances would be great, again with the way things work, I'd be more involved in dirty politics and less doing of any actual engineering work.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?