Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting the right degree?!
honeypot

Author Topic: Getting the right degree?!  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Cillus

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Getting the right degree?!
« on: Aug 03, 2017, 04:45 »
I am stuck at a crossroad between getting out of the Navy after 6 years and completing my Excelsior degree with engineering technology, or transferring to ASU online and pursuing the Electrical Engineering(Thus taking another year or so to finish after the navy).  I'm sure both will get me into the nuclear field, but will I be stuck as an RO/SRO if i only get a ET degree vice an EE from ASU?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!   +K

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Getting the right degree?!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2017, 10:27 »
Neither degree is required for RO/SRO, however either degree will qualify you to be an STA once you are an SRO, it's generally not additional pay, but extra responsibilities. I believe either degree would open the path for Shift Manager and beyond, although it might require a Master's degree. Personally though, I'd recommend the EE degree, as it opens a lot more doors outside of nuclear power (I'd also expect 2+ years, as very few credits transfer from the navy for actual engineering degrees).

As a side note, University of North Dakota has ABET accredited online degrees for Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, and Civil Engineering, in case you are interested in those.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?