Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BILL JOY FINDS THE JESUS BATTERY

Author Topic: BILL JOY FINDS THE JESUS BATTERY  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
BILL JOY FINDS THE JESUS BATTERY
« on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:48 »
This is not specifically nuclear but anything that affects the grid affects the future of nuclear.

BILL JOY FINDS THE JESUS BATTERY

You are also saying that this can enable a truly smart electric grid?

Yes. If this works out, energy becomes very fungible and we could more easily move energy from renewable sources like wind and hydroelectric. Imagine taking the same ingredients we have in the Duracells and the Energizers, and making very large-format rechargeable batteries—you’re going to make a container full of these things. You make big cells, you make them cheap, and you put them on the grid. Most of the technologies people use now on the grid are things like pumping water up the hill and down—those tend to lose 30 or 40 percent of the energy when you put them in and out of the battery. But these new models are efficient, so you can store and retrieve renewable energy, and it will cost a penny or less to put the energy in and out. We finally can get the smart grid. I call it the energy internet. If I have a wind farm in Texas that’s generating electricity, late at night, I can simply send a kilowatt-hour—a packet of energy—to someone in another place that’s going to use it later, and they can simply store it.

When will we start seeing this in production?

Two to three years for general availability.

https://www.wired.com/story/bill-joy-finds-the-jesus-battery/

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: BILL JOY FINDS THE JESUS BATTERY
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:28 »
sounds like big oil gist climbed inn two bed with battery production.

"But in this battery, you have no liquid. You have just a plastic, a polymer, that replaces the liquid, so it’s solid. "
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2017, 09:25 »
I wonder what the cost of production for these "batteries" is compared to what they claim to be replacing.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:23 »
I know.  I tried to find a general lithium battery to go in my RV (a couple of years ago) for deep cycle because they work so well .  They were hard to find and very expensive when I did find them.  I think about a 1000 bucks or more for 200 amp-hours at 12v.   I went to sears and got 2 golf cart batteries for 90 bucks each wired them in series with a 10 dollar harness.  Problem solved ( upgraded amp-hours from 75 to 200 plus better batteries) but I would have loved to have lithium since they can routinely be cycled to 100%.  Oh well.  Even lithium is still expensive and it's been out for a long time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?