Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Power School Instructor Questions

Author Topic: Nuclear Power School Instructor Questions  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Amanda1023

• Lurker
Nuclear Power School Instructor Questions
« on: Sep 19, 2017, 05:42 »
Hello All,

I have a few questions about the Nuclear Power School Instructor position. I was unable to go on the VIP trip to Charleston and my recruiter has not been able to get answers to these questions. Hopefully, a current or former instructor will be able to shed some light for me.

1. What does a typical work day/week look like for an instructor?

2. Do instructors teach the same subject for 5 years or change subjects every so often? How are the subjects assigned to instructors (performed well in a certain class, or selected at random)?

3. My recruiter told me I could stay in the Navy by making a lateral transfer after the 5 year commitment. However, from reading other posts it seems this is not guaranteed, plus I would have no sea experience and not be as desirable as someone with sea time. Has anyone made a lateral transfer from the instructor position? If so, what position did you tansfer to?

Thanks,
Amanda
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 05:48 by Amanda1023 »

Druid

Re: Nuclear Power School Instructor Questions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:04 »
Once logged in you can access the search function. There are several threads on instructors with good commentary from people that have gone down that path.

D.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Re: Nuclear Power School Instructor Questions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2017, 07:41 »
Amanda,

Your recruiter (or one of his points of contact at Navy Recruiting Command) can put you in touch with a power school instructor so you can learn about the role.  Ask your recruiter to put you in touch with Jon Holton at NRC and he'll be able to connect you.  I'd help you if I hadn't just transferred.

--

Short answer: 

1.  Hours are pretty light, but work days are fairly normal hours.  Days start earlier than your typical 9-5 job, but you'll usually be done early too. 

2.  No -- typically you'll start teaching nuclear physics or math/calculus and then shift to other subject areas based on what is needed and what your interest areas are.

3.  Lateral transfers are possible and NPS instructors have a very high success rate, but there is no guarantee.  As long as you are doing a good job while at NPS you should be in good shape if that's the direction you want to go. 

---

Caveat here:  I was never a NPS instructor, but I have friends that were, I went through NPS as a student, and I worked closely with NPS instructors when I was managing the NUPOC program. 
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?