Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can a not naturalized U.S. Citizen be granted Secret Security Clearance

Author Topic: Can a not naturalized U.S. Citizen be granted Secret Security Clearance  (Read 8122 times)

Offline xblue7

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

I've looked around the forum and found only one that resembled my inquiry back in 2006 but my recruiter persisted this wasn't possible.
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9235.msg48018.html#msg48018

Background about me:

I was born in the Philippines in 1998, moved to the US when i was 9 (2007). I came with my mother (dad is left at Philippines). Currently 18
I spoke to my recruiter and we had great discussions and she convinced me to join as a Nuke. A week Later before confirming PICAT score, she told me that the Nuke coordinator said I could not join because I didn't have my Naturalization certificate,(and because my distant father isn't in the US , but i can get a waiver for that).

Now I received my citizenship through my Mother who is naturalized, so I am a US Citizen, which is what a "secret" clearance needs if I'm not mistaken. but my Recruiter still insists that I need the certificate and there was no waiver for it.

However the post I linked details someone who was in the same boat as me (back in 2006) and got a waiver for it and then got accepted for the nuke program.

My question is, is it a MUST to be naturalized; even though I am a US Citizen with a passport to prove it.
Can I get a waiver for the naturalization, or did something change a long the way?

and; Yes I can get the naturalization certificate (or citizenship certificate form N-600 as it's called), but it will cost $1170 and take at least 6 months to process.

Offline xblue7

• Very Lite User
Other info that I didn't feel needed to add to the original post.
 My recruiter told me that i can get a waiver on the the security clearance ONLY if I was to pick another job with the SAME security clearance and then they'll transfer me to nuke after I get a waiver (which made no sense), but from what i've read on this post that is the best way to get screwed over so it's not at option i would like to consider since it seems rather sketchy, and don't get me wrong my recruiter seems like a great and trust worthy person, but after our last discussion she seems fine with me waiting to get my naturalization papers then talking to them again. I think that she isn't as informed about the topic because she has told me a few times she didn't know and that she would look into it (but im pretty sure she still didn't know much about it). hence why I'm here.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
I'm pretty sure you should be good if you're a citizen, but I don't know that.  I'm going to send this link to the officer who runs nuclear enlisted recruiting. 

What recruiting district are you out of? 
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

TVA

Ask them.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

My question is, is it a MUST to be naturalized; even though I am a US Citizen with a passport to prove it.
Can I get a waiver for the naturalization, or did something change a long the way?

and; Yes I can get the naturalization certificate (or citizenship certificate form N-600 as it's called), but it will cost $1170 and take at least 6 months to process.

We had Filipino nationals on both my submarines in the 70s. The program that permitted this expired in 1992 but for the most part our history with the Philipines with the exception of a couple of hickups has been close. I hear they are reopening Subic Bay US Naval base which was part of the mutual agreement that permitted Filipino nationals to serve in the US military. I see no reason that you as a US citizen would be denied.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017, 09:01 by Marlin »

TVA

That has zero to do with a security clearance

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
That has zero to do with a security clearance

Really!!! Explain or are you only capable of terse negative responses. I expressed an opinion that supplemented the information that the OP posted indicating they could get the clearance. We have close allies whose nationals have US clearances. Canada has military staff at NORAD. England shares our technology for military equipment up to and including nuclear ballistic missiles and submarines. The OP already has the answer and is just concerned that someone who is not naturalized cannot get a clearance and that is demonstrably not true.

::)

TVA

Has zero to do with how close you are with a people. Has everything to do with the individual

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Has zero to do with how close you are with a people. Has everything to do with the individual

Still terse and unresponsive. Yes it does have to do with people when the issue is generic such as status of citizenship.

TVA

It deals with it being an individual issue. Straight and to the point.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
It deals with it being an individual issue. Straight and to the point.

Your third incarnation and still no better.

Offline xblue7

• Very Lite User
I'm pretty sure you should be good if you're a citizen, but I don't know that.  I'm going to send this link to the officer who runs nuclear enlisted recruiting. 

What recruiting district are you out of?

thank you I would appreciate that so much!!

and I am living in Houston TX, Cy-fair District
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2017, 02:12 by xblue7 »

Offline xblue7

• Very Lite User
Really!!! Explain or are you only capable of terse negative responses. I expressed an opinion that supplemented the information that the OP posted indicating they could get the clearance. We have close allies whose nationals have US clearances. Canada has military staff at NORAD. England shares our technology for military equipment up to and including nuclear ballistic missiles and submarines. The OP already has the answer and is just concerned that someone who is not naturalized cannot get a clearance and that is demonstrably not true.

::)

Thank you for this assurance, it's good on the morale and indeed showed proof to what i assumed true, Thanks for reply and your service sir.

TVA

The point being have you ever seen a security clearance issued to a nation?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
"Can a not naturalized U.S. Citizen be granted Secret Security Clearance"

eye yam thinking awl native borne u.s. citizens are knot naturalized u.s. citizens.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
The point being have you ever seen a security clearance issued to a nation?

You are right there are no nations that are given a clearance but there are foreign nationals who are, please try to keep up.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
wail, hail! aye am a knot naturalized u.s. citizen whose had security clearances. just saying...
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
"Now I received my citizenship through my Mother who is naturalized, so I am a US Citizen, which is what a "secret" clearance needs if I'm not mistaken."

You were born in the Philippines, and your mother was naturalized. Wouldn't you have to have been naturalized also? There must be some documentation verifying your citizenship status.

Offline xblue7

• Very Lite User
Thank you for everyone's response I would like to just leave an update:

I talked to another recruiting station where the recruiter called the nuke coordinator and put him on speaker phone ( the same nuke coordinator i had with the other recruiter ) we laid out the backstory and he said i should have no problem. Then we called my previous recruiter and told her about what the nuke coordinator said, and she told us that the Nuke coordinator told her the opposite. She proceeded to call the nuke coordinator and then the 3 of them had a group call where they discussed the misunderstanding. I went to her office where she told me about the call and that the nuclear coordinator didn't realize I wasn't naturalized when the other recruiter called him. So after much fret it seems according to the nuke coordinator I will have to spend $1200 to get my certificate.

Still don't get why, since I have been told of others who were in the same boat as me and were able to be processed regardless, since we were US Citizens, but there's nothing else to do. I guess I'll just have to wait till I earn the money and till I get the certificate. Kinda bummed, but at least I'm lucky enough to be able to serve my country and be paid well doing it.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
so,....

can you not join the non-nuke Navy as one of the nuke rates,....

then get your naturalization done on Uncle Sam's dime,...

then submit for cross over to the NNPP after your naturalization?!?!?!?!?!

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?