Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Any advice for a high schooler?

Author Topic: Any advice for a high schooler?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline thoriumcultist

• Interested Bystander
  • Very Lite User
  • Fast breeders for the future.
Any advice for a high schooler?
« on: Oct 05, 2017, 01:16 »
I know, there's probably three million topics like this already, but I guess I have something newish to bring, possibly?
So I'm in 10th grade, with a 3.28 GPA. However, that 3.28 is because of a teacher who's been really busy over the last week, and will end up becoming more like a 3.45 when she finishes grading my work (based on previous grades I've got from the same class), and for every class but that one I have As and Bs, and I'll probably end up raising that to a 3.5 by the end of the semester.

Good(ish) at math, good PE grades, very high interest in physics and chemistry.

So I guess what I wanted to ask was this:

How important is high school performance to getting in, vs university performance?

If a good deal, is that an alright grade for getting in?

How much (if at all) does ROTC help out here? My school's ROTC is Air Force, the recruiter said it's fine for Navy, and I don't have much reason to doubt him, but a second opinion never hurts.

Which is a better school, Berkeley or Santa Cruz?

What would give me the best chances of SWO over sub? It's not the biggest requirement in the world, it's not going to break the deal to be put on a submarine, it's just preference.

How many times have these same questions been asked?

If these get answered with a couple links and a closed thread I'll be fine with that, just curious.

Thanks,
Thorium Cultist
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018, 01:15 by thoriumcultist »
Some people call me an old man, but some people are also really stupid.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Any advice for a high schooler?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:54 »
is a new clear future inn yore plans? watt due yew want two due... go too the military oar university?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:01 »
High school performance?  Do you mean your grades or the study habits and work ethic you've been developing in these, your formative years?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:52 »
If you're looking to enlist, you need to graduate, GPA doesn't really matter, and get a C or better in algebra (I think). JROTC will make you eligible for E-2/E-3 on your first day of boot camp, but as a nuke you're already E-3, so it doesn't matter (although (Ch)Air Force, Army, Navy JROTC apply the same to all branches). As a note, I enlisted as a nuke with a 2.8 GPA and 4 years AFJROTC in the 90s. However, since it appears you're looking at college/officer, than the grades only matter to get you into college and NROTC or whichever program you're looking at, I can't help much beyond that.
If you want to be a nuke officer, I think Berkeley is the college you need of the two, as it has the specific program for nukes. I know there are specific schools for STA-21 for nuke officers, so I imagine that applies for everyone, but I could be wrong. I would also look at something outside the ultra-liberal UC system.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10:05 »
If you want a military career, apply to an academy, get your references and find a sponsor. Learn as much as you can and develop your academic skills in school. Talk to your teachers and let them know what your interests are. If you show some enthusiasm, it will motivate them to help. If you just want to enlist, your HS GPA will help, but they are going to give you an aptitude test which will carry more weight.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?