Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie questions

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 4804 times)

Offline dclements

• Very Lite User
Newbie questions
« on: Oct 07, 2017, 12:28 »
Hello, I'm a former IT person trying to get into the nuclear industry. Right now I'm merely taking nuclear power courses at a nearby college and on friendly terms with the professors there but I'm slightly nervous as to what my chances are when I graduate. From what I can tell many of the kids that are taking classes and working either are scholarship students (ie get money/work from the program they are in) or are in the program because one of their parents work at the nearby nuclear plant.

Also I may not be able to get in because I have a disability (chronic pain) and unable to perform the same level of work as someone without my condition, which of course adds an extra layer of complexity for me in getting any job. Part of the reason I'm thinking of continuing my degree is perhaps my training with in some way offset my physical issues but sometimes I'm unsure that will be enough since there are already enough people with healthy bodies and smart minds that work in the industry.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2017, 05:39 »
It might be tough to get an Ops position, and depending on the chronic pain, you may not want that anyhow, however all nuke plants, or at least parent companies, have an IT department, which might be a better fit. I'd recommend looking at some COMPTIA/CISCO certifications if you want to go that route and don't already have them.

TVA

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:33 »
As maintenance, ops or radcon the answer is most likely no

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:52 »
With a degree and IT experience perhaps look outside the power plants maybe DOE or even medical. Is this an associate program if so maybe a four year degree may be a better option for you. As stated by the previous posters work in the power plants can be strenuous and in harsh environments at times.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2017, 08:52 by Marlin »

Offline dclements

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2017, 01:59 »
It might be tough to get an Ops position, and depending on the chronic pain, you may not want that anyhow, however all nuke plants, or at least parent companies, have an IT department, which might be a better fit. I'd recommend looking at some COMPTIA/CISCO certifications if you want to go that route and don't already have them.
IT personal are considered a dime a dozen nowadays so a IT worker with disabilities is really no more valuable than an unskilled manual laborer with disabilities. It may sound strange to say IT skills (at least the generalized skills such as fixing computers, etc.) are worthless but when there is no shortage of available people for a certain skill set, than that skill is as valuable as driving a car or being able to dig a ditch. I'm sure someone with some IT knowledge and the right connections could have a decent chance of finding good work, but that is the same with union and/or certain manual labor jobs as well. Whether you have 6 months or ten years experience, in the field I was in it hardly makes much of a difference. 

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2017, 02:56 »
That isnt exactly true. The ITs running cybersecurity get paid quite well.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:11 »
Definitely look into the security certifications, given the number of cyber security incidents recently, a lot of companies are going to be looking for that.

TVA

« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:47 »
Exactly

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:15 »
Hello, I'm a former IT person trying to get into the nuclear industry.

hear's a berry currant employer woo mite bee able two help.
https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=59050
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?