Reference, Questions and Help > Site Q&A

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

(1/7) > >>

Marlin:
   I have been curious about psychology for a long time (not enough to get a degree in it though ;)  ) from I'm "OK you're OK" and "Subliminal Seduction" in the 70's to the series of books by Malcolm Gladwell today. We live with it in our business with the MMPI and Myers-Briggs, I am an ENTJ which would not surprise someone who is familiar with the test and my long history of posting on Nukeworker. We have a lot of lurkers on Nukeworker but lately not as many posters as in the past, which looking at the graph below ego has a lot to do with it. Having worked in the nuclear industry for a while I know there is no shortage of big egos out there. I am probably on the high side of "debating issues" not that I lack empathy I think no matter how big an ego is if it has room for other egos it is healthy. I am curious where people think they are on the graph in this article. Who posts or doesn't post and why?

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

SloGlo:
sew, yins got a graph showing current lurker vs lurkers of a decade ago? same thing for posters.
aye have a theory... graphs wood aide in formulation.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: SloGlo on Oct 12, 2017, 10:29 ---sew, yins got a graph showing current lurker vs lurkers of a decade ago? same thing for posters.
aye have a theory... graphs wood aide in formulation.

--- End quote ---

Do you think they have changed that much? Are lurkers more timid today. Flame Warriors may still be a better description of posters, easier to understand. The site has changed since I visited it last. Still curious how this applies to Nukeworker. Facebook and Twitter sucking up all the air in the room?

Lurker

Lurker does not participate in normal forum discourse, but he’s out there…watching, reading every message. Generally, he is quite harmless. In fact, his silence usually reflects a natural reticence rather than any sinister motives. He is content to let the other people haul the conversational freight and, if a fight breaks out he will observe quietly. Occasionally, however, some mysterious impulse drives him to de-lurk and attack. Other Warriors regard his unexpected assault as an ambush, and invariably turn on him savagely. But Lurker seldom sticks around to fight it out, rather, after a brief exchange, he slips away, never to be heard from again.

https://www.politicsforum.org/flame-warriors/

TVA:
Much of the posting here is babbling and pro nuclear links with zero thought.
Any career advice is of the you go girl variety instead of brutal honesty.
Way too much everyone gets a trophy instead of calling the ball early on.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: Marlin on Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 --- Occasionally, however, some mysterious impulse drives him to de-lurk and attack. Other Warriors regard his unexpected assault as an ambush, and invariably turn on him savagely. But Lurker seldom sticks around to fight it out, rather, after a brief exchange, he slips away, never to be heard from again.

--- End quote ---

This I have seen on the Forum and would seem to fit the graph from the original article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version