Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People honeypot

Author Topic: Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People  (Read 22915 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People
« on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:23 »
   I have been curious about psychology for a long time (not enough to get a degree in it though ;)  ) from I'm "OK you're OK" and "Subliminal Seduction" in the 70's to the series of books by Malcolm Gladwell today. We live with it in our business with the MMPI and Myers-Briggs, I am an ENTJ which would not surprise someone who is familiar with the test and my long history of posting on Nukeworker. We have a lot of lurkers on Nukeworker but lately not as many posters as in the past, which looking at the graph below ego has a lot to do with it. Having worked in the nuclear industry for a while I know there is no shortage of big egos out there. I am probably on the high side of "debating issues" not that I lack empathy I think no matter how big an ego is if it has room for other egos it is healthy. I am curious where people think they are on the graph in this article. Who posts or doesn't post and why?

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2017, 09:28 by Marlin »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:29 »
sew, yins got a graph showing current lurker vs lurkers of a decade ago? same thing for posters.
aye have a theory... graphs wood aide in formulation.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 »
sew, yins got a graph showing current lurker vs lurkers of a decade ago? same thing for posters.
aye have a theory... graphs wood aide in formulation.

Do you think they have changed that much? Are lurkers more timid today. Flame Warriors may still be a better description of posters, easier to understand. The site has changed since I visited it last. Still curious how this applies to Nukeworker. Facebook and Twitter sucking up all the air in the room?

Lurker

Lurker does not participate in normal forum discourse, but he’s out there…watching, reading every message. Generally, he is quite harmless. In fact, his silence usually reflects a natural reticence rather than any sinister motives. He is content to let the other people haul the conversational freight and, if a fight breaks out he will observe quietly. Occasionally, however, some mysterious impulse drives him to de-lurk and attack. Other Warriors regard his unexpected assault as an ambush, and invariably turn on him savagely. But Lurker seldom sticks around to fight it out, rather, after a brief exchange, he slips away, never to be heard from again.

https://www.politicsforum.org/flame-warriors/

TVA

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:52 »
Much of the posting here is babbling and pro nuclear links with zero thought.
Any career advice is of the you go girl variety instead of brutal honesty.
Way too much everyone gets a trophy instead of calling the ball early on.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:54 »
Occasionally, however, some mysterious impulse drives him to de-lurk and attack. Other Warriors regard his unexpected assault as an ambush, and invariably turn on him savagely. But Lurker seldom sticks around to fight it out, rather, after a brief exchange, he slips away, never to be heard from again.

This I have seen on the Forum and would seem to fit the graph from the original article.

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:55 »
Actually I have never seen a lurker do anything but lurk

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:02 »
   ...We live with it in our business with the MMPI and Myers-Briggs..,
wanna due a quick eye cue test?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/can-pass-three-questions-worlds-quickest-iq-test-115317573.html

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:34 »
Under broen til forståelse er det troll

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2017, 01:01 »
Such a nice, pretty graph - full of bright colors and just enough "markings" to give it the aura of study and knowledge.  Unfortunately it's more of a straw man presentation than a reflection of any real study.  The graph assumes only five categories of response and also assumes that only those five categories describe the author's thesis.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2017, 01:37 »
Such a nice, pretty graph - full of bright colors and just enough "markings" to give it the aura of study and knowledge.  Unfortunately it's more of a straw man presentation than a reflection of any real study.  The graph assumes only five categories of response and also assumes that only those five categories describe the author's thesis.

True, it is base on a limited survey of internet users but there does seem to be a kernel of truth there. YMMV  [2cents]

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:06 »
butt eye yam gitting cornfused as two why trolls and lurkers are bean interchanged as labels.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:10 »
butt eye yam gitting cornfused as two why trolls and lurkers are bean interchanged as labels.

??? Identity politics ???  Curiosity about the ID ??? Or maybe passive aggressive trolling  :P

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:48 »
??? Identity politics ???  Curiosity about the ID ??? Or maybe passive aggressive trolling  :P
wail, hail! them watt troll ain't t lurking n lurkers ain't dune a troll.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:26 »
wail, hail! them watt troll ain't t lurking n lurkers ain't dune a troll.

...and why is that?   [42]

I am curious where people think they are on the graph in this article. Who posts or doesn't post and why?

Chimera

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:52 »
hmmmmm . . . am I a lurker because I'm always in here reading or a troll because I sometimes make comments?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:59 »
hmmmmm . . . am I a lurker because I'm always in here reading or a troll because I sometimes make comments?

Maybe:

Big Cat

Big Cat would rather not fight…he enjoys peacefully observing forum conversations and laconically participates when the moods strikes. He playfully chases interesting threads, and from time to time uses a Newbie or Propellerhead as a convenient scratching post. He enjoys being stroked or petted, and tends to purr loudly.CAUTION: Don’t be fooled by his fuzzy, playful exterior. When provoked, Big Cat reacts with lightning speed and almost always lands on his feet after an attack. Big Cat often indulges himself by toying with his victim before delivering his lethal blows.

Chimera

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:03 »
Maybe:

Big Cat

Big Cat would rather not fight…he enjoys peacefully observing forum conversations and laconically participates when the moods strikes. He playfully chases interesting threads, and from time to time uses a Newbie or Propellerhead as a convenient scratching post. He enjoys being stroked or petted, and tends to purr loudly.CAUTION: Don’t be fooled by his fuzzy, playful exterior. When provoked, Big Cat reacts with lightning speed and almost always lands on his feet after an attack. Big Cat often indulges himself by toying with his victim before delivering his lethal blows.

Dang!  I like that

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:42 »
...and why is that?   [42]

two troll is an action requiring pray analysis, four thought, proper selection of lure, and patience. their is a reason that anglers term was chosen as a label.
a lurker is moor akin too huck fin awn a raft wit dynamite trying fore supper.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2017, 09:42 by SloGlo »

Chimera

« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:00 »
and here I thought a "troll" was that evil thingy hiding under bridges

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:02 »
two troll is an action requiring pray analysis, four thought, proper selection of lure, and patience. their is a reason that anglers term was chosen as a label.
a lurker is moor akin too huck fin awn a raft wit dynamite trying fore supper.

I like the anglers comparison but I think a masochistic cat torturing a mouse is a better analogy. A troll revels in the emotional torment not landing the fish.

[2cents]

"Just my opinion I could be wrong" Dennis Miller

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:11 »
Interesting enough is that the Flame Warriors site does not list a Troll but does list a Troller that nicely fits SloGlo's description.

Troller

Troller is looking for a response…ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone…ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless – practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.

https://www.politicsforum.org/flame-warriors/

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:11 »
I like the anglers comparison but I think a masochistic cat torturing a mouse is a better analogy. A troll revels in the emotional torment not landing the fish.

[2cents]

"Just my opinion I could be wrong" Dennis Miller
per haps, but unless sayed troller is with inn visual and/oar auditory range he kant enjoy any emotional torment unless it is written in a reply. he wood bee moor amused by the frantic give and take of ensuing posting, a laa the response a hooked fish fives the angler. imnsho.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:13 »
that's second gen mythology.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2017, 12:46 »

Under broen til forståelse er det troll

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

rlbinc

« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:28 »
I'm just BUSY.
At my age, this side of the dirt is good.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?