Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is worn under radiation protection suits across US honeypot

Author Topic: What is worn under radiation protection suits across US  (Read 6532 times)

thomdarr

Here in Ontario the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission has changed the regulations regarding what is worn under radiation PPE from company supplied brown coveralls to what they call "base layer" which consists of either company supplied blue coveralls or personal clothing as long as it covers the arms and legs. Years back we had a Ministry of Labour order that the company had to supply coveralls to protect the worker from taking radiation out of the operating island to our families. The company has petitioned the MoL claiming the their body monitors are much better now since they are set to detect 3.2 nanocuries therefore they don't need to supply coveralls and more and the MoL bought into it. We have had instances recently where workers exited the island with contamination on them, one with a cobalt 60 particle under his boot laces and one where the worker had 7.6 nanocuries of contamination on his id lanyard. The company is claiming the change in clothing is an industry standard practice particularly in the US so I am wondering if this is true.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: What is worn under radiation protection suits across US
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:15 »
Each site has their own unique rules on this. All that I am familiar with provide modesty garments consisting of pants and short sleeve shirts (scrubs). They recommend that you wear them under your protective clothing, but do not require it. Some have specific company issued lanyards you are to wear while working at their site, others allow personnel to wear their own lanyard of choice.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2017, 01:39 by ksheed12 »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:33 »
key words four clothing beneath radiological p.p.e. are modesty garments. sum sights will provide health care outfits, aka scrubs. their ware plants in the past witch provided underwear (tidy whities died a non-desirable colour such as pink fir men) in order to minimize movement of small levels of r.a.m. outside they're control.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:14 »
This is what you are looking for:

Efficiency Bulletin: 16-03 Align Personnel Contamination Event Response to Industry Guidance

https://www.nei.org/CorporateSite/media/filefolder/Delivering%20the%20Nuclear%20Promise/Efficiency%20Bulletins/EB-16-03-Align-Personnel-Contamination-Event-Response-to-Industry-Guidance.pdf?ext=.pdf

Additionally; Search for "PCE" personal contamination events" standards.  That is what drives our clothing rules.  If INPO considers radioactive material on personal clothing different than radioactive material on company supplied 'modesty garments', then the company will supply it, to keep their INPO rating.  When INPO no longer makes it different, then the companies stop making it different.

More:
https://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=www.nukeworker.com&q=PCE+OR+modesty
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=9374.0
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=16012.0

Offline bigjoemonger

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:46 »
Underpants

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:11 »
Underpants
boxers oar briefs?
aye remember the daze when going combat under p.c.s was knot abnormal.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:40 »

I remember those days... But I never considered it "knot abnormal", LOL!!!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:42 »
Be careful to who you ask this question. It could be misconstrued, and you could be branded for life.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:19 »
boxers oar briefs?

the term is commando,....

combat?!?!?!?!,.....sheeeesh,.... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:10 »
the term is commando,....

combat?!?!?!?!,.....sheeeesh,.... :P ;) :) 8)
aye no. butt they're where rumors of sword fights, won female security officer slapping "that thang outta mae face", n udder instances witch braut the wrong phrase two my weak mind 😳

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:59 »
aye no. butt they're where rumors of sword fights, won female security officer slapping "that thang outta mae face", n udder instances witch braut the wrong phrase two my weak mind 😳

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:26 »
And I just thought it was SloGlospeak
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?