Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker Menu What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'

Author Topic: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'  (Read 9992 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:54 »
I saw in one of my other posts mention of "C" schools for EM's and was wondering if I could some clerification on what they are what what they do.  ET's has "C" schools too... right? 

I know its an ignorant question but it had never occured to me to think that there might be paths like ELT for the other two rates before so all information and comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance.


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2005, 12:21 »
ETMS is a popular school for "non first term" ET's.

ELT's and MM's (and possibly the E rates as well) can request RCT school on the way to a tender or NRMD.

Taylor (MMC)


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2005, 03:42 »
Being a Nuke ET myself, I can tell you that the one and only 'C' school you get as an ET is ETMS.  It is an excellent school, and I think it is the longest, which is why sometimes if you are a "first-termer" you may not get to go.  I was a first-termer when I went, so it's not impossible.  You just have to be very persistent in your requests to go.

As far as EM schools, there are many, many schools you can and will go to.  I'm not sure exactly which ones come with an NEC, but there are a couple.  Most EM schools are only a few days long, and deal with how to operate specific smaller equipment.

Hope this helps.


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2005, 04:46 »
I know in the mid 90s when I was on the ship they didn't have any 'C' schools available for Surface Nuke EM's.  Matter of fact, 2 nuke EMs from the USS California got out of the Navy based on the fact that they had STAR re-enlisted and they didn't have any 'C' schools to go attend.  They were able to prove a breech of contract, payed back some of their bonus for years 6-8, keep the E5, and got out at their 6 year point.  I think after the few got out that way the Navy had made something possible.  For other EM's on the ship with me that had STAR, they were sent to Electronic Governor School for the Turbine Generator Speed Governors we had on the Cruisers.  I'm sure that isn't available since the Nuclear Cruisers are gone now and they had these special Governors.


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:39 »
Schools for  members qualified in Submarine or Nuclear fields:   

NEC         Course Title                                 Course #
EM-3376  Radiological Control  Maintenance  S-661-1023 
EM-3354/84  Nuclear Propulsion Plant  Operator-Electrician  A-661-0013 
EM-3377  Nuclear Planner Operation  S-661-1022
ET-3376  Radiological Control  Maintenance  S-661-1023 
ET-3377  Nuclear Planner Operation  S-661-1022 
ET-3353/83  Nuclear Propulsion OperatorReactor Control  A-661-0012 
ET-3373  Nuclear Propulsion Plant  Maintenance SupervisorElectronics  F-191-0010
MM-3351  Nuclear Propulsion Plant  Operator Welder  A-701-0015 
MM-3376  Radiological Control  Maintenance  S-661-1023 
MM-3377  Nuclear Planner Operation  S-661-1022 

I'm guessing here, but EM/ET/EM 3376 should be non-supervisory NECs.  Generally, once advanced to E-6, the NEC is changed to EM/ET/EM 3377.  I think the "337X" are surface and the "335X" are subs.  Interestingly, there don't seem to be schools available for sub/surface ELTs (for subs, 3365/66.  I don't know for surface, 'though I could find out easily or someone else will tell you, if you really want to know).

That's a short answer.  When it comes time for you to make the decision, you can download MILPERSMAN 1510-020 from the web and that will list all the available schools.  They may change.  Sub MMs used to have an aux package school, but I don't see that on the current list. upd_CD/BUPERS/MILPERS/Articles/1510-020.PDF

For other STAR reenlistment details, there is MILPERSMAN 1160-100. upd_CD/BUPERS/MILPERS/Articles/1160-100.PDF


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2005, 03:53 »
I appreaciate it guys especially you ex-SSN585.  Nice list, although the links you posted "...cannot be found."


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2005, 04:52 »
Sorry about that, I'm not good at this Internet thing.

Try these:

If not, use Google search and you will get better links.  You can search on "1160-100", "1510-020", or even "STAR nuclear" and you'll find the correct links easily.


  • Guest
Re: What are the "C" Schools for non-MM'
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2005, 08:13 »
Much better.  Thanks I appreciate it!  Definatly good to realize that my striving for excellence doesn't stop suddenly if I were to become an EM or ET  ;)


NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of ™, LLC © 1996-2021 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?