Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out from depression. honeypot

Author Topic: Getting out from depression.  (Read 14482 times)

Offline Jonnyp92

• Very Lite User
  • Its all just fun and games.
Getting out from depression.
« on: Nov 02, 2017, 11:39 »
Hey guys, I've recently went over to medical for having depression get the best of me. I have been in for 6 years now, I was a mechanic on the ole Ronnie Reagan and recently reported to Ballston Spa to be a staff instructor. I have felt depressed before while I was a nubly nub, but managed to power through it and thought I left that part of my life behind me, but as time has gone by at my new command I was getting more and more depressed which was causing me to fall behind in qualifying and that made things get more stressful until not too long ago while I was driving home I just broke down(not talking about the car), so I talked to one of my chiefs and they basically told me to suck it up because they need the people here. I found that to be terrible advice to give someone asking for help, so I went over to medical to talk to someone about it, and lo and behold got my TLD pulled and thrown into limdu. Now I have come to the realization that the navy isn't really for me anymore and have been thinking about if I were to be separated what would I do after this. Does anyone know if job opportunities dwindle for someone that is getting out from depression? I would like to use some of my experience as an operator outside of the navy but don't know if they look into why I'm out before my contract or if they just see that I have done 6 years and not ask too many questions about it?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Getting out from depression.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2017, 05:26 »
Depending on your medication, commercial nuclear might be out, but it may not be the best choice for you anyhow. There are plenty of other options, which include using your GI Bill for school and potentially Vocational Rehab through the VA (depending on your disability rating). Overall, job opportunities should be about the same as for a standard 6 and out. Try looking at Orion (headhunters) or someone similar.
As far as how to handle the questions, if you're asked, just say it was a medical discharge under honorable conditions (assuming that's true), however if your DD-214 says honorable, there probably won't be too many questions.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:43 »
You went to medical, but you don't say what the treatment was for your depression. If you are depressed, you may not be making the best decisions. Go back to medical, and get on a treatment plan until you start feeling better, You have free medical while you are still in the Navy. If they discharge you, that goes away. You'll have pay for your own. Good luck getting treatment from the VA, if you're depressed, the bureaucracy is not likely to help the situation. My advice is to stick with it, get some positive counseling, and maybe some meds. Once you start feelling better, your outlook will improve, and you'll be better able to way your options.

Offline Jonnyp92

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:06 »
I appreciate the help, im mostly asking these questions because im trying to get a better grasp on the situation from people who have experienced it or know of people who have, i always thought while going through that people who felt depressed just need to suck it up and they will be fine. But it happened to me on a day that was going very well.
So when i went to medical they took down some notes after i answered a questionaire and then went to schedule a appointment with a psychologist, but the only psychologist they have here doesnt have a open spot until a month from now. So they basically took me out of the situation that is causing stress and they are having me do therapy sessions once a week and if things get worse or stay the same then they will prescribe me some medication, as of right now im not taking anything. But i imagine that in a month of doing nothing i will get better since the only stress ill have is the thoughts of whats going to happen in the long run.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:29 »
Please try not to think of things that bother you. Sitting around with nothing to do is often worse. See if you can find something to occupy your mind and find someone who is willing to spend time with you. Go sightseeing, sports, movies, church, educational activities. I suspect that this is difficult in your situation. Your therapist may be able to help you out.

Offline Jonnyp92

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:07 »
I'm trying to get around and do more, its just difficult to find the motivation for it. Ive been told to try and do things that have been putting off for awhile, which at this point is a lot.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:30 »
Don't ever underestimate the power of exercise.  Sounds like the two don't mix, exercise and depression.   But the research points to otherwise.  Exercise produces endorphins which may have a profound effect on daily life.  If you could run 2 miles a day every other day it might have a huge impact on your life.  Not just an opinion...much research points to this.  Worth a try....if it doesn't work try something else.  I know it is a brain chemistry thing....but exercise can have a huge impact on brain chemistry.  It might take a while though.  You would have to power thru it for a couple weeks.

TVA

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2017, 02:11 »
Grow the heck up man.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:30 »
Too bad you don't have cancer, then maybe TVA would believe you have a real issue.  Depression is just make believe stuff.  Right TVA?

TVA

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:51 »
Yes it is. Being depressed is a choice not a condition.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2017, 06:06 »

Not medically accurate. Abuse of it as a diagnosis and excuse I can accept.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2017, 06:35 »
Yeah.  Brain chemistry has nothing to do with depression. Your mix of brain chemistry was a choice by you when you were born.  Now live with it!  Thanks for that enlightenment TVA.  You know your stuff.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2017, 10:50 »
many definitions, knot a won mentions bean a choice.https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/depression
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2017, 10:53 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2017, 11:21 »
Being sad is a choice. Depression is not a choice, unless you choose to not get help.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:50 »

....... Exercise produces endorphins which may have a profound effect on daily life.......

so does masturbation,...

I don't think any of the experts are prescribing self pleasure as a treatment for depression,...

…..If you could run 2 miles a day every other day it might have a huge impact on your life.  Not just an opinion...much research points to this…..

it's not the exercise that alleviates the depression,...

it's the sense of accomplishment,...

it's all right there in the OP's post,...

his downs as an unqualified nub with nothing visceral to show for his hard effort, his ups as a qualified watch stander in the fleet actually doing something recognized as productive and contributing to everyone around him, and now his downs at NPTU, where the OP is just another instructor just cranking out another bunch of students,....

the OP needs a line of work more conducive to the OP's visceral self perception,...

the OP is depressed because the OP is not doing the job which the OP is best cut out for,...

the OP is unbalanced, not depressed,....

but the experts the OP is talking to are lazy and it is easier for all involved to tag the OP as depressed,...

it takes work to find balance,...

it has happened to me more than once (not depression,....lack of balance and fit),...sheesh!!!!! :P ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 07:08 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:53 »
How sad! Somebody reaches out for help and it takes less than 5 posts for it to degenerate into rude, nasty responses. The degenerates are the ones who need to grow the heck up.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2017, 12:49 »
The reason I mentioned exercise is because it is overlooked by many doctors when trying to help a truly clinically depressed individual.  Whatever the reasons are GLW, it works for many people.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression-and-exercise/art-20046495 

Not just for people down and out but TRULY CLINICALLY DEPRESSED INDIVIDUALS.  I'm not going to pretend to diagnose this guy or call him a liar, like some did on this post.  If he is truly clinically depressed that is way different than just being sad or down and out.

If you have ever known someone who has a real problem with depression, you know they aren't just making it up like the 2 on this post suggest.  Especially when you see them kicking butt for months or years and just all of a sudden disappear from life.

You people are sad and I hope you or your loved ones never have to deal with true intractable depression because you will kick yourselves for saying the things you did on this post.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2017, 01:43 »
hamsamich, you are right. Sadness is usually a temporary, like a weight that you can put down. Clinical depression is a condition that just weighs you down, like a weight that is strapped to your back that you just can't get rid of by yourself. You need someone to help you with it. As you said, exercise may help, and it may make you physically tired so you sleep better. Still, the best course is to seek professional treatment.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:10 »
Okay,...

BUT!!!!

IF these are US Navy medical folks at NSASS THEN my personal (somewhat dated) experience is they do what is best and easiest for themselves and the USN,...

depression fits the little check box on the long form,...

as opposed to the time and effort to diagnosis a less debilitating mood disorder separate from clinical depression,...

so, instead of mood disorder the box is checked depression,...

that extra level of effort is not what Navy medical is for,...

that's what the VA is for,...

which is not necessarily in the long term best interest of the service member,...

getting out might not be the best thing for the OP,...

maybe a better duty at a better duty station is the best ticket for the OP,...

and likely all that effort is not in the best interest of the needs of the Navy,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:07 »
Well I have no idea how 2017 diagnosis of depression is done.  I'm sure there is a way to fake it.  When someone comes on this forum and tells me they are clinically depressed, I don't automatically assume they are lying.  Depression is one area that if you are wrong, consequences could be drastic in any format.  This isn't a place where medical benefits are determined so why not help.  Someone came for help and seemed legitimate to me.  So I tried to give them the best piece of advice I could without attacking them as con artists.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:55 »
johnnyp92,
still thinking about gitting out? yew probly  bee putting up wit these folks..

Offline Jonnyp92

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:16 »
I appreciate everyone who has offered sound advice, and wanted to help. I am disappointed that where ever you go there are people that just want to push others down even further than they are. I used to feel like depression was a choice and you can just get rid of it by not thinking about the negatives, which is what I was doing and it helped but eventually the cup was too full to ignore and I couldn't control my emotions anymore. I feel as if I'm in the wrong trying to ask for help, like its not the type of person I want to be. I feel guilty being put in a position where I just sit around and do nothing while the navy fills out all the forms and makes me go to psychiatrists. But now that I've gotten help and I am away from anything stressful I t feel loads better, I fear that if I go back and work there Ill find myself in the same spot within a few weeks.
Again I appreciate everyone's help, and I wish people that don't agree with things like this could just ignore the post instead of trying to worsen the situation.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:27 »
johnnyp92, good two here.kick it fore a while wit the shrinks n sea ware it goes. could bee stress will drop oar scenery will change. long as its four you're own good, its awl good.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:47 »
I think you could find a job out here somewhere if you can find a way to cope.  You did 6 and you are not required to discuss health problems at interviews.  You may have to answer tricky questions that could expose your issues.  MMPI anyone?  That is between you, your conscience and your wallet.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2017, 06:00 »
Well I have no idea how 2017 diagnosis of depression is done.  I'm sure there is a way to fake it.  When someone comes on this forum and tells me they are clinically depressed, I don't automatically assume they are lying.  Depression is one area that if you are wrong, consequences could be drastic in any format.  This isn't a place where medical benefits are determined so why not help.  Someone came for help and seemed legitimate to me.  So I tried to give them the best piece of advice I could without attacking them as con artists.

the OP's lead post was answered in the first two replies,...

any posts after those two first replies were reiterations, refutations, opinion or dear abby maxims,...

and they are all valid,...

this thread's done,...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?