Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Currently in nuke school
honeypot

Author Topic: Currently in nuke school  (Read 6728 times)

Offline ptrain95

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Currently in nuke school
« on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:16 »
Hi guys,

I’m currently 4 months in power school. I’ve been in a rut lately and haven’t been doing as well as I wanted on exams, regardless of preparation. I just got murdered by RP3, and have failed a total of 5 exams but with no course failures and am still baring a 2.8 gpa. I’m just kind of curious of people who are on here who have been in my shoes or have known about others making it all the way to the end and finishing strong. In short, I guess I’m asking should I be worried about failing out or snowballing into a bigger rut? I have been changing study methods and etc.

Any advice helps! Thanks!
-MMN3 Ellis

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Currently in nuke school
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:13 »
Have you been working with the NDIs?

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2017, 02:09 »
When I went through, we made a small study group - three of us from different sections within the class.  The smartest one learned by helping us learn while we benefited from a different view point on the class materials.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2017, 04:14 »
When I went through, we made a small study group - three of us from different sections within the class.  The smartest one learned by helping us learn while we benefited from a different view point on the class materials.

Do they still segregate sections by previous test scores and education?

TVA

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:23 »
I thought it was simply test scores?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:34 »
I thought it was simply test scores?

It was test scores and previous education when I was in, I think I saw a post a while back that said they no longer do that. We use to have a gradient system where a full curriculum was taught in the upper section and what was needed for minimum requirements was taught in the bottom section of that class. Consistent with the quote over the Nuke school door that read "At this school, the smartest must work as hard as those who struggle to pass". Hyman Rickover.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:49 »

Sorry. I took this on a little tangent but Chimera is correct where the smart one comes from makes little difference. Different perspectives can break a mental block and having to be there gives you the discipline to study in a constructive way as opposed to WOW or a party. Is WOW still a thing? When I was a kid it was Risk. He is correct about it helping everyone including the smartest in the group who may be trying to compete on scores to help his career while others are just trying to keep their head above water.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2017, 07:16 by Marlin »

TVA

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:55 »
Rickover was a crook. Plain and simple.

If it had anything to do with education why did kids with electronics backgrounds become MMs?
I am not doubting it had something to do with it. I simply don't think it had a lot to do with it.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2017, 06:03 »
Rickover was a crook. Plain and simple.

Your opinion would be in the minority.

If it had anything to do with education why did kids with electronics backgrounds become MMs?

My electrical scores were higher than my mechanical and ended up a MM. I did not have an electrical background but I suspect we took different placement tests, they were still using GCT/ARI when I was in there was no ASVAB and we took a battery of tests for aptitude in boot camp that determined our rate everyone was just a nuke until then.

I am not doubting it had something to do with it. I simply don't think it had a lot to do with it.

It was his stated goal but he was known for being cantankerous and a control freak.

Offline MrsMTate

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:14 »
For what it's worth, circa 2004, I saw no indication that sections were based much on anything but random selection. We had a full gamut of prior test scores and abilities in our classroom.

As for advice to the OP, I was not in your shoes but had classmates who were. The worst thing you can do is worry about remaining in said rut. I saw people struggle and fail out, people struggle and make it through by the skin on their teeth, and others breeze though like the whole thing was nothing.

Someone else already mentioned it, but take advantage of your classmates and the afterhours instructor staff. Find a few buddies to study with. You will all help each other in some way or another. I mentored a classmate who struggled and found it rewarding for us both. Take extra study time, even if you feel you don't need it. Ask questions.

While I say that, you must still manage time to relax and not worry yourself into a pit of despair. That will only make a failure worse and likely result in more of them. Do what you can to recover and move on with a fresh and positive attitude to the next exam material. I can assure you with the right attitude and perseverance, a failure today does not always indicate the certainty of one tomorrow.

Good luck to you! 👍

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:19 »
For what it's worth, circa 2004, I saw no indication that sections were based much on anything but random selection. We had a full gamut of prior test scores and abilities in our classroom.

Thanx I thought I had read that in a post a year or five ago.

Offline MrsMTate

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:41 »
We had failouts sitting next to top of our class graduates. I saw no rhyme or reason to placement and no one was talking about it if there was some more detailed method to their madness.

TVA

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:29 »
Sorry Rickover being a crook is a fact and not an opinion.

When I was in we took the NFQT. I think your NPS section was supposed to be based on that. We still had the 3 and 6 week pre school. Because it was close to Christmas we all went to Pre school M-F for 12 hours for a week then  Saturday morning at 0600 took a final. That way we could take 2 weeks of leave.
During our time off they came up with the concept of mixed sections with alphabet designators. Mine was MMF. The idea was it would improve overall performance. I think it lasted 2 classes maybe 3.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:48 »
Sorry Rickover being a crook is a fact and not an opinion.

What was he convicted of? Not sure what your standard is but it still sounds like opinion to me.

When I was in we took the NFQT. I think your NPS section was supposed to be based on that. We still had the 3 and 6 week pre school. Because it was close to Christmas we all went to Pre school M-F for 12 hours for a week then  Saturday morning at 0600 took a final. That way we could take 2 weeks of leave.
During our time off they came up with the concept of mixed sections with alphabet designators. Mine was MMF. The idea was it would improve overall performance. I think it lasted 2 classes maybe 3.

Nuke school has gone through a lot change along with the Navy, the section assignments I was referring to were a standing policy long before and some time after I left Nuclear Power School in Mare Island with the quote above the entrance until it closed in 1976.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2017, 09:04 by Marlin »

TVA

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:27 »
Now the school at Mare is a junkyard. The entire base looks like a ghetto. Its sad because when I was there the base was gorgeous.

Chimera

« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2017, 04:54 »
Now the school at Mare is a junkyard. The entire base looks like a ghetto. Its sad because when I was there the base was gorgeous.

well, it was primarily a ship yard with us and NIOTC sequestered off to one end  (class 69-3)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?