Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Introduction  

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4456 times)

Offline GreyMatter95

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Introduction
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:47 »
Hello to all the fantastic folks here on this forum. I have been a non account lurker here for quite some time and figured I should go ahead and make a formal account. I’d would like to give some background for myself so that in the future when I ask questions(AFTER USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION) the members here will better be able to help me. I’m currently 22 years old and a junior at my local college pursuing a statistical math degree. I have made the decision to put my schooling on hold due to multiple semesters of poor academic performance and poor life choices. I’m going try to enlist in the Navy Nuke life so that the military can help me learn discipline and expose me to things I wouldn’t have otherwise been able to experience. Thank you all for any future time and effort you might possibly provide me. If anyone has specific questions please feel free to pm me.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2017, 09:10 by GreyMatter95 »

TVA

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:46 »
Uh the Navy doesnt help you learn discipline. Thats on you. The Navy enforces discipline.

Offline GreyMatter95

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:20 »
I won’t argue the semantics about the nature of discipline. I think it’s fair to say that learning to develop discipline can be supplemented with an outside authority figure who enforces it. Bit none the less thanks for the point of view.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:51 »
I won’t argue the semantics about the nature of discipline. I think it’s fair to say that learning to develop discipline can be supplemented with an outside authority figure who enforces it. Bit none the less thanks for the point of view.

;) Discipline is not learned from the lack of experiencing it and it's benefits to the individual.  [coffee]

TVA

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:50 »
Sorry  the Navy doesnt teach it. It implements and expects it from day one. I heard once I have been through it.

Chimera

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:49 »
Poor grades and poor life-choices is symptomatic of lack of discipline.  The Navy (or any other of the armed forces) won't "teach" you discipline - they'll rub your nose in it until you either develop it or, should you choose to continue your poor choice way of thinking, you'll become someone no one trusts to do the job you're given to the best of your ability.  Yes, a good authority figure will help you "learn" to become disciplined but that is a hard road to walk down.  It's not a matter of semantics.  It's something you have to bring to the fight.  That authority figure will just help you hone it.  It's a "choice" you have to make for yourself.  Discipline can be viewed as the striving for perfection.  Good enough is the enemy of perfection.  As long as you settle for "good enough" in your life choices, discipline will not be one of your skills.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:16 »
Sorry  the Navy doesnt teach it. It implements and expects it from day one. I heard once I have been through it.

Myopic, where does discipline come from? I suppose you do not discipline your children. The Navy wants to build good sailors not beat them in the ground. There is discipline in the home, there is discipline in the classroom, there is discipline in the work place, and there is discipline in every venue you are part of in a social setting not to beat someone into submission but to set conduct conducive to that venue.
   Those who see military discipline as a means of dominating and subjugating a subordinate were the kind of a@@holes I detested in the Navy who's self importance exceeded his responsibility as a leader. Most understood that they were building the next generation of leaders and creating a military society needed to do the job. The military breaks things and kills people in the preservation of our country and it's discipline reflects that harsh reality.

:old:

Chimera

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:10 »
   Myopic, where does discipline come from? I suppose you do not discipline your children. The Navy wants to build good sailors not beat them in the ground. There is discipline in the home, there is discipline in the classroom, there is discipline in the work place, and there is discipline in every venue you are part of in a social setting not to beat someone into submission but to set conduct conducive to that venue.
   Those who see military discipline as a means of dominating and subjugating a subordinate were the kind of a@@holes I detested in the Navy who's self importance exceeded his responsibility as a leader. Most understood that they were building the next generation of leaders and creating a military society needed to do the job. The military breaks things and kills people in the preservation of our country and it's discipline reflects that harsh reality.

:old:

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:20 »
I agree, Marlin.  The discipline we brought to shipboard life was something the Navy taught us.  I also agree that the mini-dictators made that life much harder than it needed to be.  Not everyone aboard the ships I served on was a model citizen when we wandered into boot camp and I saw a lot of young teenagers get their lives turned around by those "authority figures" who helped mold us from boot camp on - through service school(s) and aboard ship.  I guess I forgot that we weren't all model citizens back in those days 50+ years ago.  I still see it now in civilian life - youngsters who have to learn how to do their jobs without having someone camp on their a$$es all the time.  I suppose I was a little turned off reading about a young man who couldn't buckle down and study to get decent grades and who repeatedly (seemingly) made poor life choices.  I apologize for being too harsh on a young man going through what I've forgotten about all those years ago.

Offline GreyMatter95

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:48 »
Mr. Chimera thanks for your insight. While it could have been interpreted as being too harsh I readily accept any criticism given with good intentions. I fully admit I don’t have the levels of discipline I once had when I was a straight A student in college; and one of the driving reasons I would like to join the Navy is to redevelop my discipline. I come to this forum to obtain the best knowledge I can so that I can be as ready as I am able for the challenges in my future. If to get this knowledge I have to deal with some not so nicely given answers then so be it. But to close this up thanks again for your input and being willing to remember what it’s like to be in someone like mine own shoes.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:21 »
Many a navy nuke got started in the program the same way as you appear to be getting started.  At some point you're going to have to make a decision on making the changes necessary to stop your pattern of behavior.  For me, it happened during NNPS pre-school (the equivalent of NFAS Math and Physics now).  If you don't make changes, you'll likely join the community of nuke drops who fill jobs all over the navy.   Whatever happens, good luck.   
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:56 »
Many a navy nuke got started in the program the same way as you appear to be getting started.  At some point you're going to have to make a decision on making the changes necessary to stop your pattern of behavior.  For me, it happened during NNPS pre-school (the equivalent of NFAS Math and Physics now).  If you don't make changes, you'll likely join the community of nuke drops who fill jobs all over the navy.   Whatever happens, good luck.   
If this worse case becomes your reality, perhaps you'll pull a nuke ship. Then you can use that as a toe hold in the nuclear power industry, and join in that community.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?