Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Naval Aviator to Nuke  

Author Topic: Naval Aviator to Nuke  (Read 12225 times)

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Naval Aviator to Nuke
« on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:09 »
You guys (especially the ex Navy nukes) should have fun with this one...

I am a current Naval Aviator. I have done very well in the Navy, but the deployments have been rough on the family. I recently had a discussion with a submarine friend of mine who was talking about how he was heavily recruited by some nuclear power companies. I instantly became interested in the line of work.

My question is this - I have a B.A. degree, with very little science and math background. Do I even have a chance? As an officer, I certainly have developed leadership skills and learned how to fly and operate advanced systems, but do they even care about that?

My second question is - I've been searching the terms "auxiliary operator" and "non licensed operator" for companies in the mid-Atlantic region (where I want to live and work) - but I'm not seeing any openings. Am I searching using the wrong terms? Or are there just no openings? I would like to work as a non licensed reactor operator at a plant and work up to becoming a licensed reactor operator.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 05:16 by Tucker10 »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Naval Aviator to Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:33 »
Dominion Energy (Virginia) uses the title Control Room Operator - Nuclear. You could also look for nuclear operator or equipment operator. If you search on indeed.com or nuclearstreet.com, you'll probably find something.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:43 »
As an enlisted navy nuke (who was qualified navy scuba diver)  I asked if I could change to EOD or Navy Diver as my full time navy job after 5 years for my final 3 years.  The captain and other officers said no dice since they spent so much on my nuke training.  I'm not saying they won't let you, but  probably not?  You R an officer so ya'll get treated differently sometimes.   Maybe if you had finished any obligated time you "owe" them they would consider keeping you in.

By the way...can't you just get out and make some $$$ as an airline pilot?  I know it isn't what it used to be but I would think after doing some crappy trips for awhile you could move on to something better?  Maybe that affects your Q of family life also.  Nuclear plants have rotating shifts for many of their jobs.  some people like them some don't.  Days one week, nights the next.

Could you do it once you got in as a Navy Nuke?  After getting thru the aviation stuff my money is on YES.

Yes I'm pretty sure you can land a Aux Operator job.  More likely instant SRO.  But I agree do 2 as an AUX OP.  Be wary of nuke plants closing.  Some months I'll see 10 jobs, some I'll see 2.  Kinda goes in cycles.

To be honest, getting into nuke right now is a crap shoot due to possible plant closures, especially since you won't be getting out for a few years if you can even land a nuke billet.  Maybe want to stick with the pilot thing.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:46 »
PS.  Due to my age, I went nuke WANTING to be a naval aviator.  Too much Top Gun and Officer and a Gent.  So this is a little amusing to me.  But I do see your concern for post-Nav.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:36 »
I think he was looking to go from aviator to commercial nuke, not navy nuke (which would be a not only no, but hell f'ing no!)

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:59 »
I think he was looking to go from aviator to commercial nuke, not navy nuke (which would be a not only no, but hell f'ing no!)

That is correct! I’d jump off the carrier before I would trade my wings for navy nuke life! (No offense to the bubbleheads).

Btw, I looked into what you said. I couldn’t find anything in the area I am looking t. Maybe there are just no openings at the moment. Do you recommend I call the companies directly to see if there is some sort of timeline on when they will be hiring? Or is that a big no-no.

I still have some time left in my commitment, and I am set up for a successful career if I want to stay active, so there is no huge rush. But if something opened up, I would probably jump on it if it was right. Also, how are the plants in terms of allowing time for service in the Reserves? I would imagine there are quite a few Reservists working in plants...

Chimera

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:25 »
Totally off topic but . . . I always found it a little odd that enlisted men had request permission to stay in the Navy but officers had to request permission to get out . . . . or have things changed since I left?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:44 »
non-nukes wit little s.t.e.m. ain't big targets on recruiter's screens fore nuke operator jobs. yule knead two contact them n cell you're self.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:02 »
ooops...that makes more sense...I think you could find a way in, but like sloglo said you would have to convince someone.  If you went somewhere they were having trouble hiring it would make more sense.

I found a couple.  here is one - https://jobs.entergy.com/job/Russellville-Auxiliary-Operator-O1-ANO-AR-72801/445955200/?feedId=57000&utm_source=Indeed&utm_campaign=Entergy

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:54 »
Sorry I could not help myself, another bubblehead posted this to my page. He does have a private license so I guess it is also self self-depreciative.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2017, 03:55 by Marlin »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:26 »
If there are no jobs posted, calling the company directly probably won't help much, apart from giving you an idea about when positions might be opening. Dominion Energy is in VA and CT, Duke is NC (and some other locations), SCG&E/SCANA and Southern Company are the South East, Next Era is in FL. Going north you have Exelon, PSEG, and Talen Energy in PA, NY, and NJ and First Energy in western PA.

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:43 »
non-nukes wit little s.t.e.m. ain't big targets on recruiter's screens fore nuke operator jobs. yule knead two contact them n cell you're self.

Gotcha, I have no problem putting in the work to get hired. Essentially just want to know if I’m competitive enough to try.

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:44 »
If there are no jobs posted, calling the company directly probably won't help much, apart from giving you an idea about when positions might be opening. Dominion Energy is in VA and CT, Duke is NC (and some other locations), SCG&E/SCANA and Southern Company are the South East, Next Era is in FL. Going north you have Exelon, PSEG, and Talen Energy in PA, NY, and NJ and First Energy in western PA.

Thanks for the info! Specifically looking in the NC area, so it may be worth calling. Do I call HR?

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:45 »
ooops...that makes more sense...I think you could find a way in, but like sloglo said you would have to convince someone.  If you went somewhere they were having trouble hiring it would make more sense.

I found a couple.  here is one - https://jobs.entergy.com/job/Russellville-Auxiliary-Operator-O1-ANO-AR-72801/445955200/?feedId=57000&utm_source=Indeed&utm_campaign=Entergy

Thanks! Saw that post as well, but specifically looking in the NC area. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

TVA

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:03 »
No you don't have leadership skills. Don't pretend you do.

He isnt qualified to be an Instant SRO.

Try the websites for Duke and Exellon

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:13 »
If he went thru the navy nuke program as an officer he would too, which is what I thought he was talking about until clarified.  Read the whole thread next time. 

TVA

« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:48 »
Sorry no leadership and not qualified.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:38 »

People skills are part of leadership for successful managers and he seems to have them. What are the qualifications for an NLO applicant? Sad!!! I am pretty sure he has more than a GED/High school diploma.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:07 »

I guess I'm uninformed. I thought OCS was primarily leadership training. Aren't officers trained to be leaders, even if they are flyboys?

I also thought that military service of any kind was a feather in your hat when applying for jobs in the commercial nuke industry. Recently separated should be a protected veteran status as well, I believe.

Entry level operator should be attainable for an honorably discharged Navy officer of any flavor.

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:19 »
I certainly didn’t mean to come off as if I am in some way “better” because I am a naval officer. I apologize if I came off that way. I would, however, consider myself a leader who has led multiple divisions, even if I’m not the one actually turning the wrench on the aircraft. I assume some people on this forum could be potential hiring personnel, and the last thing I want to come off as is cocky.

I simply assumed I could leverage the fact that I’m a successful naval officer with FITREPS that prove sustained superior performance. I know I have an uphill battle with math and science, as I have not looked at stuff like that since freshman/sophomore year of college. But I’ve learned multiple complicated systems in my time in the Navy, and I would approach my training as a NLO the same exact way.

Again, I apologize if I came off cocky.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:33 »
I certainly didn’t mean to come off as if I am in some way “better” because I am a naval officer. I apologize if I came off that way. I would, however, consider myself a leader who has led multiple divisions, even if I’m not the one actually turning the wrench on the aircraft. I assume some people on this forum could be potential hiring personnel, and the last thing I want to come off as is cocky.

I simply assumed I could leverage the fact that I’m a successful naval officer with FITREPS that prove sustained superior performance. I know I have an uphill battle with math and science, as I have not looked at stuff like that since freshman/sophomore year of college. But I’ve learned multiple complicated systems in my time in the Navy, and I would approach my training as a NLO the same exact way.

TVA is our resident self absorbed troll. But then I thought cocky was a prerequisite to be a pilot.   8)   +K

Offline Tucker10

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:42 »
TVA is our resident self absorbed troll. But then I thought cocky was a prerequisite to be a pilot.   8)   +K

Roger, noted! Lol. I guess some people need to get their kicks somehow.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:20 »

You're good to go, and thank you for your service, sir.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:18 »
A quick look thru the forum archives and you can see that....

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:15 »
TVA, while short, was correct about one thing, you don't meet the requirements for direct SRO.

You might be able to get into a non-license position, but a lot of companies want either experience (i.e. navy nuke) or a technology degree (i.e. not a B.A.). You might be able to leverage some of your experience, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I'm not saying don't apply, because, worst case you get an offer, I mean don't get an offer. :)

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:38 »
TVA, while short, was correct about one thing, you don't meet the requirements for direct SRO.

You might be able to get into a non-license position, but a lot of companies want either experience (i.e. navy nuke) or a technology degree (i.e. not a B.A.). You might be able to leverage some of your experience, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I'm not saying don't apply, because, worst case you get an offer, I mean don't get an offer. :)

The OP was not asking about SRO he asked about an NLO positition.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2017, 08:39 by Marlin »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:37 »
True statement, which is why I added the statement about what most companies seem to look for in NLO candidates.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?