Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Direct SRO requirements?  

Author Topic: Direct SRO requirements?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
Direct SRO requirements?
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:32 »
As far as I know, if you want to go directly into an SRO position at a nuclear power plant, you must be qualified RO or EWS and be standing that watch for 2 years.

My question is this: Is that a hard requirement?

I am about to qualify EWS on my submarine and my current PRD is 1 year and 11 months from now. Should I pursue extending onboard to reach my 2 years, or will it not matter, as 1 year 11 months is basically 2 years? If it is a hard and fast requirement, not waived, then I will probably just leave the boat early for prototype, because boat life is absolute garbage.

Thanks!
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Direct SRO requirements?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 07:36 »
I believe the verbiage actually says 24 months, and yes, that's a hard requirement (there are a couple other means of going direct SRO, but not for navy). I have known one person to get a waiver, but he had a MS in Nuclear Engineering, and probably some other awesome stuff on his resume. If you apply with exactly 24 months as EWS, there is a good chance that you'll get passed over.

That being said, starting as an NLO is a lot easier. There's a DSRO in my crew who started at the same time as me and has to do almost everything I have to do to qualify as an NLO (minus 9 of the 10 watches at each station) but only has a year to do it, as opposed to me having 26 months. Plus the opportunity for time and a half and double time pay is pretty nice.

TVA

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:45 »
The NRC will no longer waive less than 24 months

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 11:27 »
Many utilities try to avoid hiring direct SROs and some avoid it altogether.  If you start as an NLO you can always work up to being an SRO later.  There are guys who go to license class after only being an NLO for a year or two.   You may even find that you like being an NLO better and not even want to move up.  Many of the ex-navy nukes at the plant I work at like being an NLO and wouldn't dream of going to RO let alone SRO.  NLO's get paid pretty well and will likely be union and have way better overtime rules than a company SRO.  My point basically is, don't stay on the boat if you don't want to just so you can meet the requirements to be a direct SRO.  Direct SRO off the street is a tough gig to find and you would probably enjoy your life more starting off as an NLO.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:14 »
If you get your 24 months as EWS and start as an NLO, you can go direct SRO from there, as it will be an internal hire, and will have a higher chance of success. Also by going NLO, there are other paths to SRO, either direct by earning a degree or upgrade through RO.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?