Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Characterization honeypot

Author Topic: Characterization  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Characterization
« on: Dec 28, 2003, 05:52 »
Lessons Learned: Characterization

The purpose of this forum is to document on-the-job work experiences. Submit your best solutions for various jobs and processes. This is not to be plant specific, rumor, slander or urban legend. Postings will be reviewed, verified, edited for content, and archived for future reference. Post a summary for review if you wish to post a thesis or position paper. We are getting fewer and fewer, but before the knowledge is lost forever and plant / sites reinvent the wheel; we need to document what we have learned.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2004, 08:49 by Rennhack »

jocro

Re: Lessons Learned: Characterization
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:12 »
While reclaiming buried waste drums, found a drum with a bulging top, which later exploded due to hydrogen buildup, in barely safe circumstances.  Not long after, a supervisor, testing to see if the drum gas vent on another bulging drum was working, went and pressed hard on it with his elbow to see if he could move the top.  Said the drum was safe.  SHALL be more careful, from my view.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:13 »
You MUST spend the time to properly characterize before D&D (during the planning phases)otherwise you are just asking for trouble and don't even think about contracting the job out till you get a handle on whats there.  Several others have already made that point already here on the LL page already.
Decomm Man

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:35 »
while working behind a scoping survey that was used to characterize a property was economically beneficial to me, i would not recommend that approach to anyone who was attempting to approach a decontamination project.  at least not to people who were intending to use that project as a means of furthering their career.  scoping has it's place, but it is not a characterization and should not be confused with the same.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?