Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Alpha beta crosstalk

Author Topic: Alpha beta crosstalk  (Read 6169 times)

Offline bigjoemonger

• Light User
Alpha beta crosstalk
« on: Jan 14, 2018, 10:20 »
I have[/size] a Ludlum 3030P alpha beta counter. This [/color][/size]has windows set from 70 - 700 mV and 1000 - 4000 mV but i only use it to measure Alpha smears. This instrument comes optional with detector[/color][/size] shielding which reduces background betas. Since I'm not measuring betas does it matter that I don't have the shielding?[/color][/size]I know that there is some beta to alpha crosstalk but would allowing this backgroundbeta in significantly impact my alpha counts?[/color]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Alpha beta crosstalk
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:14 »
which detector?

43-10-1 or something else?

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2018, 12:30 »
That should be correct. This is the current one formerly called a 2929

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:53 »
I have a Ludlum 3030P alpha beta counter.
which detector? 43-10-1 or something else?
That should be correct. This is the current one formerly called a 2929

The 3030P has a solid state detector build in.

Alpha to Beta Crosstalk  < 5%
Beta to Alpha Crosstalk  < 0.1%
http://ludlums.com/products/all-products/product/model-3030p

There is <0.1% beta to alpha cross talk.  Less beta's WILL mean less cross talk.  But at <0.1%, do you care?  Personally, I would add the shielding if it doesn't cost much.  Because I'm American, and more (precision) is better. If it costs anything significant, I don't think I could justify a fraction of 0.1% improvement. How many sigma's are we looking for, anyways?

A 2929 is a Scaler (meter).  A 43-10-1 is a detector.  A 43-10-1 detects the radiation, and sends a pulse to the 2929 that measures the pulse.  A 2929 doesn't HAVE to be paired with a 43-10-1, but almost always is. (Not directed at you GLW)
http://ludlums.com/products/all-products/product/model-2929-with-43-10-1

The 3030E replaced the 2929, with an external 43-10-1.
http://ludlums.com/products/all-products/product/model-3030e-with-43-10-1

It has:
Alpha to beta cross talk: 10% or less
Beta to alpha cross talk: 1% or less

A 3030 (no E no P, just "3030") has the detector built into the meter, like the 3030P:
http://ludlums.com/products/all-products/product/model-3030
The Model 3030 Scaler incorporates an internally housed ZnS(Ag) plastic scintillator detector (like the 43-10-1, but internal) with shielded stainless steel sample tray.

It also has:
Alpha to beta cross talk: 10% or less
Beta to alpha cross talk: 1% or less
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018, 08:34 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:15 »

(Not directed at you GLW)

It's okay, I focused on "optional shielding" and not on 3030"P",...

details count,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:38 »
wail, the shielding package is two be used too reduce beta bkg. that sayed, it's probly most relevant to the level of alpha contamination bean measured, bee caws a 20% reduction in beta bkg mite have a grater data impact on negligible alpha contamination than the same bkg reduction when measuring thousands of alpha dpm.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:09 »
wail, the shielding package is two be used too reduce beta bkg. that sayed, it's probly most relevant to the level of alpha contamination bean measured, bee caws a 20% reduction in beta bkg mite have a grater data impact on negligible alpha contamination than the same bkg reduction when measuring thousands of alpha dpm.
Agreed, as proving the negative is, at times, challenging.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?