Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Parallel Study materials During A-school, T-Track, and Power School?
honeypot

Author Topic: Parallel Study materials During A-school, T-Track, and Power School?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline EasyToNerdsnipe

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Hello NukeWorker.com!

I am a ETN in training halfway through A-school, current subject E-funds 4,and currently with a gpa of 3.35. Thankfully giving me 10-0's.

I have noticed that there are several times on weekdays, and quite a few more on weekends, when I am involved in a task preventing me from entering the Rickover, but not preventing me from studying, (if i only had appropriate materials on my phone or computer), such as:

1. Morning Hygiene and calisthenics
2. Eating at the Galley (when I DON'T intend to immediately return to the Rickover.)
3. Doing Laundry (this is a solid hour i could use)
4. When 15-20 minutes early to mandatory PT.
Etc.
and more recently , and less often , when on Holiday leave (which but for some lucky snowdays after I returned to NNPTC, would have left me a day before a test with 2 weeks of not studying allowing me to forget it.)

I have asked my instructors for the Non-classified civilian equivalent of the material, but all I have gotten were the DOE fundamentals handbook of electrical science, and Khan Academy, both of which only seem to cover most, but not all, of Basic Electricity, which won't help to much during digital and ICE. And I don't even know where to start for Power School materials.

Do any of you know anywhere online, or pdf's i can download that have all the same concepts NNPTC teaches?

Offline ComradeRed1308

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I wouldn't be concerned with trying to study reference material outside of the Rickover building.  Civilian textbooks won't be geared towards what you'll learn in power school.  Power school simplifies many subjects down to just the information you need to know to be a nuclear operator.  They also tend to test your ability to regurgitate knowledge verbatim from the class notes rather than a deep understanding of a specific topic.  I don't want to discourage you from trying to get ahead but I think trying to use non-nuclear navy materials to study from will be a waste of time.  Use your time outside of the Rickover building to relax, you'll spend plenty of time in it studying.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
ComradeRed1308 is correct, if you haven't heard it yet you will:

There is the right way,
there is the wrong way,
and then there is the Navy way.

Druid

Agree with Comrade and Marlin. Master the material as its delivered to you. When you're off base take the time to decompress, there will be darned few opportunities in the future.

If you want to rehash things that you're being taught, try mnemonics. The brain is an amazing tool that doesn't require periodic use of a USB charger.
http://sarconline.sdes.ucf.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2017/07/9_Types_of_Mnemonics_NF1.pdf

Find linkages to things you already know - music, TV dramas, whatever. Works best for set periods of time like PT. You gotta make up your own though. I doubt old geezer Night Court cast and Timbuk 3 lyrics references will work well for you.

Cheers! D
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 01:24 by Druid »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?